Transfer Rumours Pre-Season

Mike Baggaley & SOT Live on Twitter saying we’re after Jake Taylor & Mitch Clark although competition expected. The connected article seems to imply a loan deal although it mentions our previous bids for JT.
It would be a miracle if we got one of them, let alone both. They will be playing in league one minimum surely next year.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nothing wrong with getting just a little carried away at the moment,  as long as we all remember that it's The Vale we're talking about. But then again this is the New Vale and it feels amazing,  even

People make me laugh on this website , slagging a player off who wants to play for port Vale while lording over Maynard who doesn't . Seen his you tube interview where he states he and the club are in

Posted Images

4 hours ago, efsb said:

Mike Baggaley & SOT Live on Twitter saying we’re after Jake Taylor & Mitch Clark although competition expected. The connected article seems to imply a loan deal although it mentions our previous bids for JT.

I think it’s just a story with no real substance. Of course we’d like them back, why wouldnt Askey want them back? It doesn’t mean they will come to us though. If their parent clubs have anything about them then they’ll be trying to get them into a league one club. 

• Like 2

There might be stiff competition from some of the 1400 other out of contract players to get a league 1 club, Mitch particularly should have learned by his previous experience that the wrong choice can lead to a lack of game time.

Probably got a better chance of getting Mitch - because he's a full back. 

Without any disrespect, a full back will be in far less demand than a goal-scoring midfielder.

Glad to see we're having a go.

The trick is sign these types of player on a permanent deal before a loan deal puts them in the shop window.

We had a spell where we were great at finding those U21 players - McPhee, Brooker, Bridge-Wilkinson, Armstrong, Cummins, Pilkington, Goodlad etc

• Like 1

The trick is sign these types of player on a permanent deal before a loan deal puts them in the shop window.
We had a spell where we were great at finding those U21 players - McPhee, Brooker, Bridge-Wilkinson, Armstrong, Cummins, Pilkington, Goodlad etc
Completely agree but times have changed since then. Small transfer fees for young players who are unlikely to ever make the first team of premier/championship clubs don't interest those clubs at all given the stupid amount of tv money that they get. Unless you're talking a million or above, hoarding young talent just in case one becomes the next star appears to be the order of the day.

As a bit of a talking point, these are players I think fit our team, are of a good age, and are currently on a free, who fit our needs, and who we could realistically sign. I'd love for us to go after any of them, though I've highlighted my favourites:

George Taft, CB, 26 (Released from Cambridge)

Cameron Burgess, CB, 24 (Scunthorpe)

Yann Songo'o, CB, 28 (Scunthorpe)

Jake Hessenthaler, CM, 26 (Grimbsy)

Hope Akpan, CM, 28 (Bradford)

Paul Lewis, CM, 25 (Cambridge)

Alex MacDonald, CM, 30 (Mansfield)

Otis Khan, AM, 24 (Mansfield)

Harry McKirdy, W, 23 (Carlisle)

Frank Nouble, S, 28 (Colchester)

The likes of Shay McCartan, Scott Wiseman, Ryan Jackson, Chris Neal, Stefan Scougall, Michael O'Connor, and Krystian Pearce are all players good enough to come and improve us but either

1. Don't fit the system

2. We're already well stocked in their position

3. Are getting on

In terms of backup to Brown, I imagine we'll go cheap and young but the likes of Bobby Olejnik, Kyle Letheren, and Conrad Logan are about, though they'd all probably want the starters job.

Edited by Joe B

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

In terms of backup to Brown, I imagine we'll go cheap and young but the likes of Bobby Olejnik, Kyle Letheren, and Conrad Logan are about, though they'd all probably want the starters job.

I'd personally be happy with an Askey/Rudge non-league punt for a back-up. Play the youngster in the FLT and the LC (presuming both take place) and Scott Brown in the league...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, robf said:

I'd personally be happy with an Askey/Rudge non-league punt for a back-up. Play the youngster in the FLT and the LC (presuming both take place) and Scott Brown in the league...

He did that with Maddison though and he only started the once.

1 hour ago, darren1810 said:

Unless Brown gets injured I only see Maddison's replacement only starting an odd game. If Brown gets injurred there's the option of an emergency loan.

4 hours ago, Joe B said:

As a bit of a talking point, these are players I think fit our team, are of a good age, and are currently on a free, who fit our needs, and who we could realistically sign. I'd love for us to go after any of them, though I've highlighted my favourites:

George Taft, CB, 26 (Released from Cambridge)

Cameron Burgess, CB, 24 (Scunthorpe)

Yann Songo'o, CB, 28 (Scunthorpe)

Jake Hessenthaler, CM, 26 (Grimbsy)

Hope Akpan, CM, 28 (Bradford)

Paul Lewis, CM, 25 (Cambridge)

Alex MacDonald, CM, 30 (Mansfield)

Otis Khan, AM, 24 (Mansfield)

Harry McKirdy, W, 23 (Carlisle)

Frank Nouble, S, 28 (Colchester)

The likes of Shay McCartan, Scott Wiseman, Ryan Jackson, Chris Neal, Stefan Scougall, Michael O'Connor, and Krystian Pearce are all players good enough to come and improve us but either

1. Don't fit the system

2. We're already well stocked in their position

3. Are getting on

Great list Joe,

I can see Harry Davis (brother of Joe) being someone on our radar.

28 Years old, 54 games for Grimsby, Captain of Crewe at 23, contender for captain at Grimsby last year.

He still lives in Crewe and is described as a model hard working professional in something I read about him recently. Exactly the sort of pro Askey loves.

If Smith leaves, could Askey replace him with Brisley and bring local boy Harry in as a second string.

Im guessing Smiths new wage offer would make him well paid compared to the majority of the squad. 

Given Brisley kept him out of the squad for a while and performed admirably, he could be a cost conscious, value based replacement. 

Harry wouldn’t be on big money and living locally would be worth a lot to him (he is married with kids but rented a room in Grimsby and I think only visited the family In Crewe when not training).

That would free up some of the extra Smith would have commanded for a better midfielder or striker.

10 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Great list Joe,

28 Years old, 54 games for Grimsby, Captain of Crewe at 23, contender for captain at Grimsby last year.

He still lives in Crewe and is described as a model hard working professional in something I read about him recently. Exactly the sort of pro Askey loves.

If Smith leaves, could Askey replace him with Brisley and bring local boy Harry in as a second string.

Im guessing Smiths new wage offer would make him well paid compared to the majority of the squad. 

Given Brisley kept him out of the squad for a while and performed admirably, he could be a cost conscious, value based replacement. 

Harry wouldn’t be on big money and living locally would be worth a lot to him (he is married with kids but rented a room in Grimsby and I think only visited the family In Crewe when not training).

That would free up some of the extra Smith would have commanded for a better midfielder or striker.

I've got Davis down on the 'average' section of my spreadsheet - would undoubtedly be a steady replacement.

9 minutes ago, Joe B said:

I've got Davis down on the 'average' section of my spreadsheet - would undoubtedly be a steady replacement.

I reckon that’s spot on.

It still surprises me that Nouble is only 28, I had him at 34 in my head!! 

1 hour ago, Iron Curtain said:

Great list Joe,

Unless Askey sees Crookes as his 4th choice centrehalf I suspect Davis will be a possible to fill the Kennedy role. Nice footballer, very good on the ball and can also play rightback or as a holding midfield player.  Always looks to have a mistake in him. Reminds me a little of Dean Glover in terms of his style of play. Injured quite often at Grimsby. 

4 hours ago, darren1810 said:

Not sure of that - Maddison has been on the books of Sunderland, Crawley, Leicester, Yeovil (some six years) before joining Darlo in 2018 so he's been around the League blocks and never really cut it. I was thinking more of a hungry -league rather than the sort of journeyman Maddison unfortunately was. 

3 hours ago, JRC said:

Unless Brown gets injured I only see Maddison's replacement only starting an odd game. If Brown gets injurred there's the option of an emergency loan.

Yeah - on second thoughts, to save a bit of money I wonder if any keepers in the youth ranks could warm the bench? 

However, the last time we had to use the keeper emergency loan route we ended up with a succession of duds so I'd have to hope we'd use it better if we do go down that route.

• Fosse69 changed the title to Transfer Rumours Pre-Season