Transfer Rumours Pre-Season

1 hour ago, robf said:

It will be interesting to see what JA does with the fringe players this summer too.

Ryan Campbell-Gordon appears to be highly rated and seems to have all the attributes to be an attacking LB. Could he come more into the squad as a back-up if Monty is first choice? Or would a loan spell at say National League level be of use?

However, I feel a bit sorry for Dan Trickett-Smith - signed by the previous owner he hasn't seemed wanted by two managers now. I wonder if a move to a non-league side in the summer would be best for both parties?

Alex Hurst is an interesting one. He got some really good feedback for his training and performances in the friendly games and seems the sort of versatile player who could be on the bench to cover a number of positions. I wonder if he will come into the squad or whether they think he still needs to learn and a loan at a higher level  (he hasn't even appeared in the National League so perhaps a spell there) would help his development.

Last season at the club and last opportunity for DTS to make it as a footballer. Think he was signed after Aspin left, so he's only had one manager. 

The other 2 will be reviewed at the end of preseason as to whether a loan spell is the next step I'd guess. 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nothing wrong with getting just a little carried away at the moment,  as long as we all remember that it's The Vale we're talking about. But then again this is the New Vale and it feels amazing,  even

People make me laugh on this website , slagging a player off who wants to play for port Vale while lording over Maynard who doesn't . Seen his you tube interview where he states he and the club are in

Posted Images

Hurst probably needs to step up to the National League. I know game time is good but Bradford PA came bottom and seemed to get stuffed most weekends. Not sure that would of been beneficial for him ? Maybe it toughened him up ?

Trickett-Smith the legacy that the blue one left us with. Come to some agreement might be the best way forward for both parties. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Walka003 said:

I didn't see anything on the press release, but did we sign up any youth team lads this year?

None of them got signed this year. 

15 hours ago, robf said:

It will be interesting to see what JA does with the fringe players this summer too.

Ryan Campbell-Gordon appears to be highly rated and seems to have all the attributes to be an attacking LB. Could he come more into the squad as a back-up if Monty is first choice? Or would a loan spell at say National League level be of use?

However, I feel a bit sorry for Dan Trickett-Smith - signed by the previous owner he hasn't seemed wanted by two managers now. I wonder if a move to a non-league side in the summer would be best for both parties?

Alex Hurst is an interesting one. He got some really good feedback for his training and performances in the friendly games and seems the sort of versatile player who could be on the bench to cover a number of positions. I wonder if he will come into the squad or whether they think he still needs to learn and a loan at a higher level  (he hasn't even appeared in the National League so perhaps a spell there) would help his development.

I thought that left back was a constant problem area for us last season until Clark came back. Teams mainly seemed to favour that side playing on either Monty or Crookes. We looked much better with Clark there, being critical  I’d say an aspect of his game that he needs to improve is that he can have a tendency to get caught with long balls over his head. However there’s no doubt we looked much more balanced with real full backs on the pitch rather than make do wingers and centre halfs. So with that being said you’d think that Campbell Gordon would be seeing this as his opportunity to break through, I see this as his make or break season.  

Edited by PV1973
  • Like 1

I thought that left back was a constant problem area for us last season until Clark came back. Teams mainly seemed to favour that side playing on either Monty or Crookes. We looked much better with Clark there, being critical  I’d say an aspect of his game that he needs to improve is that he can have a tendency to get caught with long balls over his head. However there’s no doubt we looked much more balanced with real full backs on the pitch rather than make do wingers and centre halfs. So with that being said you’d think that Campbell Gordon would be seeing this as his opportunity to break through, I see this as his make or break season.  
I thought RCG looked good in the limited pre season games I saw, and he seemed to have a decent loan spell. Hopefully he goes away and puts a bit of muscle on over the summer and he could be the answer at left back.
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

I wonder whether we would benefit from telling Monty "You are a left back" and then training him exclusively in that role rather than have him as a forward option.

Some of the performances he has put in at Left back have been outstanding... coaching him exclusively to be one might be the solution.

Askey knows best.

Ideally we would get Mitch Back, but I think that will prove difficult, he stands out at this level and I think will have offers to go higher.

• Like 2

I do know that RCG is very very very highly rated by the vale, and turned down clubs higher up the league to sign with us again.

The interesting dynamic is that if he runs down his contract and leaves, we would still be due a fee (I think he is still young enough).... that fee however would be based on a number of things and the amount of game time he gets with us will be a big one.

Its an interesting challenge, if we were not pushing for promotion, playing him and letting him develop would increase his value.... but is that too much of a risk in a promotion chasing season (which hopefully we will be in).

Fascinating indeed!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

I wonder whether we would benefit from telling Monty "You are a left back" and then training him exclusively in that role rather than have him as a forward option.

Some of the performances he has put in at Left back have been outstanding... coaching him exclusively to be one might be the solution.

Askey knows best.

Ideally we would get Mitch Back, but I think that will prove difficult, he stands out at this level and I think will have offers to go higher.

That's a really excellent point IC. Sometimes being a utility player does you no favours , Phil Neville springs to mind despite an excellent career . 

Hate to pick individuals as it's a team game but there is no doubt that early season a few goals came from Crookes side and also Monty was culpable for a few, most noticeable was Walsall. 

We all love it when Monty goes on a rampaging run , but I think you have made a really valid point. 

Let's give Monty the number 3 shirt and it's his to concentrate on and his to lose.

Amoo ,Browne ( if both sign ) and Worrall are 3 good options for attacking width so let Monty become the best left back at the club by right not by default. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, darren1810 said:

Amoo ,Browne ( if both sign ) and Worrall are 3 good options for attacking width so let Monty become the best left back at the club by right not by default. 

I thought that last season we were crying out for at least another winger.

Most teams when chasing a game or trying to hold onto a lead tend to sub one or both of their wingers for someone fresh with pace.

With Monty playing at full back and Browne spending the early part of the season injured and then short of match fitness I felt that we ran Worrall and Amoo into the ground.

By November Amoo's form dropped, this was in my opinion due to him being shattered and heavy pitches due to the rain. At the same time Worrall was cramping up towards the end of most games.

I think a key to pushing on next season would be to add a pacy winger who along with Browne could give Worrall and Amoo a break towards the end of games. They don't have to be the greatest player just someone who allows us to move quickly up the pitch preventing the opposition from pushing their line up as our wingers tire.

If we get a left back this could be Monty although for me despite his goals the season before last has usually flattered to deceive when played on the wing.

Edited by wotsyobeef

Montano is a left back. Keep him there. Another winger, to challenge the existing three is needed, and another left back is needed to challenge Monty. This may be Campbell-Gordon if they feel he's ready; Smith and Gibbons came from nowhere during pre-seasons to feature. The fact that RCG got a 2 year deal last summer is indicative of the esteem he's held in. If not, get him out to the National League and bring in a more steady fullback to complement Monty's bucanneering, baffling brilliance.

Crooks can slide over to his more natural centre back (where I think he'll be OK), to serve as backup with Brisley and as a developmental player with the next couple of years in mind. Hopefully fans don't write him off after some slightly sub-par performances at left back. If Smith goes, see if George Taft/Will Boyle fancy a steady role next to Leon Legge and in front of Scott Brown.

In addition, right back competition for Gibbo, a back-up keeper, and a mobile forward to give us the choice of Pope, Cullen, and New Signing, with a young lad from the Category 1 Academies/non-league willing to be 4th choice and a padawan to the esteemed Jedi Masters Pope and Cullen (like what we were hoping Archer would be).

Easy, this.

Edited by Joe B

33 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Montano is a left back. Keep him there. Another winger, to challenge the existing three is needed, and another left back is needed to challenge Monty. This may be Campbell-Gordon if they feel he's ready; Smith and Gibbons came from nowhere during pre-seasons to feature. The fact that RCG got a 2 year deal last summer is indicative of the esteem he's held in. If not, get him out to the National League and bring in a more steady fullback to complement Monty's bucanneering, baffling brilliance.

Crooks can slide over to his more natural centre back (where I think he'll be OK), to serve as backup with Brisley and as a developmental player with the next couple of years in mind. Hopefully fans don't write him off after some slightly sub-par performances at left back. If Smith goes, see if George Taft/Will Boyle fancy a steady role next to Leon Legge and in front of Scott Brown.

In addition, right back competition for Gibbo, a back-up keeper, and a mobile forward to give us the choice of Pope, Cullen, and New Signing, with a young lad from the Category 1 Academies/non-league willing to be 4th choice and a padawan to the esteemed Jedi Masters Pope and Cullen (like what we were hoping Archer would be).

Easy, this.

My absolute dream if Smith did go would be Fiacre Kelleher at Macc... they rave about him as do the D3D4 podcast guys. 

6ft 3 tall and 24 years old. 

They all think he can and will play higher, if that could be via us that would be amazing. 

Challenge is that could be immediately and he could go to league 1 this summer.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

My absolute dream if Smith did go would be Fiacre Kelleher at Macc... they rave about him as do the D3D4 podcast guys. 

6ft 3 tall and 24 years old. 

They all think he can and will play higher, if that could be via us that would be amazing. 

Challenge is that could be immediately and he could go to league 1 this summer.

I agree........But I don't fancy your chances trying to persuade the experts on here who say Askey only signs Macc players even though he is highly thought of.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

In terms of a fourth winger, I think Alex Hurst is seen as a left-sided wide player but I guess the issue is whether he would be ready - or whether sitting on the subs bench isn't going to help his development as much as a loan spell.

I think it's tricky for JA to judge the likes of Hurst and Campbell-Gordon with all the possible delays to group training etc - but I guess that if football finances are very tight going forward, we do potentially have two youngsters who can come in and provide competition in areas we probably need more strength. 

I also think that Crookes could become a decent ball-playing CB given time and confidence (I am concerned he's next in the queue for the boo boys though). Having a left sided CB could help too. I guess if he does switch the other key things will be his positioning and ability in the air.

• Like 1

Both good players them.

Still got all the League 1 retained lists to come out, probably within the next fortnight when they vote to end their season.

Mike Baggaley & SOT Live on Twitter saying we’re after Jake Taylor & Mitch Clark although competition expected. The connected article seems to imply a loan deal although it mentions our previous bids for JT.

• Fosse69 changed the title to Transfer Rumours Pre-Season