New striker signing - Devante Rodney

9 hours ago, Gallifreyan Valiant said:

I agree with that, I have watched a few videos of Rodney and I think he will be a scorer next season, with the likes of Pope to learn from. With Smith he is good, but as stated replaceable. The defence at times last season with the amount of wins, turning to draws was the area most need in strengthening. So maybe him leaving will help his career and also give the squad added strength where the replacement is. 

Losing one of your best players will always make you a little worse. Fortunately we have managed to keep all our other important players. Overall we will be better I feel, with 6 players to come in. Firmly believe Rodney will be an upgrade on Archer. So what we've lost in Smith is already being mitigated elsewhere in the squad.

• Like 1

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Heard a few tit-bits about this signing today. The management at Salford didn't want to lose him but were told he had to be let go to finance the signing of Andrade, Elliott and Wilson in January. All

The vast majority of the time, I tend to read social media following on from the arrival of a mew signing,  and I’m absolutely baffled at the negativity that gets thrown around given the fact 99% of V

Also we have a manager in Askey, that against the odds got us pushing for promotion.  Had it not been for the virus and the benevolence of our superb owners, we may well have been putting a league one

Posted Images

12 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

Someone like Ironside would be OK in the shorter term, providing they were happy to be a squad player. If we assume Cullen to be favourite for the lone striker role then we just need options.  If given a decent run, and barring injury, we can reasonably expect Cullen to score 15+.  I can't see us going out and signing anyone prolific, we'll need a number of players who can chip in, and Ironside, or whoever, needs to score 10+.

I agree that Cullen will get 15-20 over a season as he is a finisher, but relying on him staying fit is a big ask, based on his recent fitness record.

He could be missing for a fair amount of games over the season, so we need someone to come in as the main/lone striker when Cullen is unavailable.

Is Pope still capable of doing that, if its for an extended period and not just the odd game? (I'd say not any more, though he can still be a big impact player coming off the bench). Rodney is a gamble to throw into that role, so I hope that the other striker signing is someone capable of being a regular starter, if required.

I have a mate who is a long term Stockport season ticket holder . I asked him his opinion on Rodney and quote as below.

Rodney only played about a dozen games for us but made a bit of an impact. I would say for us he was a luxury player who can be a world beater for 10 mins and then disappears for the rest of the game. In our league you need players who give 100% for all the game. I think he will do well at a higher level, certainly got the skills.

Then asked him if he played upfront or out wide.

Out wide when he runs at defenders they have no idea what he is going to do. The problem is he didn't know either.

Always interesting to hear fans  opinions  from  a players previous club. Sounds like one for Askey to work on but something there to polish. Askey seems good at doing that.

Team styles make strikers.

Stick Pope in a team that play balls in behind for him to run onto and he won't score many.

Stick Aguero in a team that fires 100's of far post crosses in and he (probably) won't score many.

This is the reason so many strikers do it at one club and not at others - they often try and shoehorn a square peg into round holes.

It's not as easy as saying "he scored 20 last season at another club, so let's sign him and he'll score 20 with us".

Askey knows his system and will sign players that fit his mould. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, The man in the pub said:

I have a mate who is a long term Stockport season ticket holder . I asked him his opinion on Rodney and quote as below.

Rodney only played about a dozen games for us but made a bit of an impact. I would say for us he was a luxury player who can be a world beater for 10 mins and then disappears for the rest of the game. In our league you need players who give 100% for all the game. I think he will do well at a higher level, certainly got the skills.

Then asked him if he played upfront or out wide.

Out wide when he runs at defenders they have no idea what he is going to do. The problem is he didn't know either.

Always interesting to hear fans  opinions  from  a players previous club. Sounds like one for Askey to work on but something there to polish. Askey seems good at doing that.

With all due respect to your mate, that’s just one solitary opinion amongst several thousand Stockport County supporters. The beauty of football is exactly that, opinions. We all have them. One end of the spectrum to the other. You’ll never get everybody to agree. Unless you’re asked if David Worrall has iron lungs. That’s pretty hard to dispute, naturally.

I recall Darlington fans wetting themselves with laughter when we took Akpo Sodje from them. He wasn’t even worthy of playing for their reserves, apparently. I think we all know how that one turned out. 

Players can find it hard to adapt in certain environments. It may be the coaching or tactical approach doesn’t suit their game whatsoever. They may have a poor working relationship with the manager. There may be unrest in the dressing room, or it could be down purely to them not enjoying their football there. Then, the same player moves to another club and they fit in perfectly. Some of our players would probably give you that summary from their time here given the philosophies of Aspin and Askey are like chalk and cheese. 

Dressing room harmony, togetherness, a solid unit. All attributes of a team that can sometimes take them up a level, regardless of ability. Accrington Stanley being a prime example of that. One of the lowest budgets ever seen at this level and one of the lowest average home attendances too. Yet they romped to the League Two title, finishing above big spending Luton Town. All because of the unity John Coleman has stamped on that club. A truly fantastic achievement in itself.

I have a lot of faith in John Askey. I think he’s doing a sterling job thus far. I never judge a player until he’s had a fair crack of the whip. Most importantly, in a Port Vale shirt. I wish Devante all the best and hope he turns out to be a diamond.

• Like 4

The greatest square peg is no use in a round hole.

Lets give JA & the player chance to see what they can do together and by the way, give credit to Dave Kevan for his coaching with these young prospects. Nobody was getting excited last year with JA's signings, in fact he was slaughtered by some for signing Macc cast-offs. He has proved he is willing to give youth a chance with Scott Burgess (22) & Jake Taylor (22). 

• Like 3

On 07/07/2020 at 17:01, Chopper Harris said:

To the tune of only fools and horses......

He can play on either wing and scoring is his thing. He’s gonna score another goal right now......... Devante Rodney. Nah nah nah nah nah, Devante Rodney nah nah nah nah nah. Devante Rodney........  

You won't get Rodney in your pocket,

Because no defender can,

We know he's the best,

And without a question, 

Devante, he's our man.

Why he signed for Salford is a mystery,

Like the changing  of the seasons and the tides of the sea. 

La la la la...

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Moz said:

You won't get Rodney in your pocket,

Because no defender can,

We know he's the best,

And without a question, 

Devante, he's our man.

Why he signed for Salford is a mystery,

Like the changing  of the seasons and the tides of the sea. 

La la la la...

Crikey, some of the lads get the steino song wrong, they’ll never remember that one.

• Haha 2

On 09/07/2020 at 12:02, Pennywise said:

With all due respect to your mate, that’s just one solitary opinion amongst several thousand Stockport County supporters. The beauty of football is exactly that, opinions. We all have them. One end of the spectrum to the other. You’ll never get everybody to agree. Unless you’re asked if David Worrall has iron lungs. That’s pretty hard to dispute, naturally.

I recall Darlington fans wetting themselves with laughter when we took Akpo Sodje from them. He wasn’t even worthy of playing for their reserves, apparently. I think we all know how that one turned out. 

Players can find it hard to adapt in certain environments. It may be the coaching or tactical approach doesn’t suit their game whatsoever. They may have a poor working relationship with the manager. There may be unrest in the dressing room, or it could be down purely to them not enjoying their football there. Then, the same player moves to another club and they fit in perfectly. Some of our players would probably give you that summary from their time here given the philosophies of Aspin and Askey are like chalk and cheese. 

Dressing room harmony, togetherness, a solid unit. All attributes of a team that can sometimes take them up a level, regardless of ability. Accrington Stanley being a prime example of that. One of the lowest budgets ever seen at this level and one of the lowest average home attendances too. Yet they romped to the League Two title, finishing above big spending Luton Town. All because of the unity John Coleman has stamped on that club. A truly fantastic achievement in itself.

I have a lot of faith in John Askey. I think he’s doing a sterling job thus far. I never judge a player until he’s had a fair crack of the whip. Most importantly, in a Port Vale shirt. I wish Devante all the best and hope he turns out to be a diamond.

Very true Pennywise, it is all about opinions. My mate is a proper football fan whose views I have come to trust. Like on OVF i'm sure we all have posters whose opinions we value more than others. He looks like a project, work in progress. I do have every confidence that Askey is the man to do just that.

on the videos,especially his time at halifax, he looks a good potential signing, but so did jordan slew, dior angus etc. hopefully this will be the one to make it. good luck devante welcome to vale park. 

Welcome to the club. Three years is a really good secure span to get established and work on improving. I was thinking, players who come in on one year contracts are under immense pressure. Get on the bench for some games and have 15 minutes to prove they are good enough or they are back on the bench or out of the match day squad. Then the year is up. So three years is a proper career - by league 2 standards - and an opportunity to make something of it.

Based on his history he's a bit of a chancer. But if he has pace, which seems to be the case, then that alone will add a bit of something we didn't really have up front with either Pope or Cullen. 

Hopefully be will be another Scott Burgess who surprised just about everybody!

Heard a few tit-bits about this signing today. The management at Salford didn't want to lose him but were told he had to be let go to finance the signing of Andrade, Elliott and Wilson in January. All 3 are on mega wages and they had to reduce the money spent on attacking players to release funds for elsewhere in the squad. They had 4 other attacking players under contract beyond the end of 2019/20, so losing Rodney was seen as the sacrifice they had to make financially for the January transfers. Rodney turned down several offers since the turn of the year (with transfer fees attached) after he was told he would be let go to get a move to a club he thought was right for him after the end of the season. There were other under contract players the football side of the club would have preferred to moved on in preference to him.

The football brains trust at Vale Park 100% see him as in serious competition for a start in September and as a player who will make a big impact at this level. He was watched quite extensively as it became known Salford would have to offload him in February and he's seen as a real X factor player. We were certainly not the only club that wanted him as he attracted a lot of interest for his performances at Halifax and there is genuine excitement from the coaching staff that he chose us and they will be able to work with him. There is a real feeling he has all the attributes to be something special in our system. I'd put money on he gets more time on the pitch than Pope in the first game of the season.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JRC said:

There is a real feeling he has all the attributes to be something special in our system

What are we talking, 2012-2013 kind of special? 

11 hours ago, Doha said:

What are we talking, 2012-2013 kind of special? 

There is a belief that if we can really get him playing to his potential that kind of special. Definitely seen as a player for now as well as in the future, not just a punt on potential. There is genuine excitement to have signed him.

Edited by JRC

36 minutes ago, JRC said:

There is a belief that if we can really get him playing to his potential that kind of special. Definitely seen as a player for now as well as in the future, not just a punt on potential. There is genuine excitement to have signed him.

With a 3yr deal i think they see that as well with the possibility of making some money on him during that time,on a plus point whatever we make on any player we all now know it will go back into the club unlike well ya know

14 hours ago, JRC said:

Heard a few tit-bits about this signing today. The management at Salford didn't want to lose him but were told he had to be let go to finance the signing of Andrade, Elliott and Wilson in January. All 3 are on mega wages and they had to reduce the money spent on attacking players to release funds for elsewhere in the squad. They had 4 other attacking players under contract beyond the end of 2019/20, so losing Rodney was seen as the sacrifice they had to make financially for the January transfers. Rodney turned down several offers since the turn of the year (with transfer fees attached) after he was told he would be let go to get a move to a club he thought was right for him after the end of the season. There were other under contract players the football side of the club would have preferred to moved on in preference to him.

The football brains trust at Vale Park 100% see him as in serious competition for a start in September and as a player who will make a big impact at this level. He was watched quite extensively as it became known Salford would have to offload him in February and he's seen as a real X factor player. We were certainly not the only club that wanted him as he attracted a lot of interest for his performances at Halifax and there is genuine excitement from the coaching staff that he chose us and they will be able to work with him. There is a real feeling he has all the attributes to be something special in our system. I'd put money on he gets more time on the pitch than Pope in the first game of the season.

Very interesting, thanks for the insight. I take it you have heard this from decent sources?

From looking at the videos of him, he seems to have real power, pace and skill and and I have a good feeling he will fit into JA’s work ethic and system. Excited to see him in action.