Jump to content

New striker signing - Devante Rodney


Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Walka003 said:

I think we are talking about the same thing, we need someone who can challenge Cullen/be a different starting option.

Perhaps this is where McCartan fits in, should he sign.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Heard a few tit-bits about this signing today. The management at Salford didn't want to lose him but were told he had to be let go to finance the signing of Andrade, Elliott and Wilson in January. All

The vast majority of the time, I tend to read social media following on from the arrival of a mew signing,  and I’m absolutely baffled at the negativity that gets thrown around given the fact 99% of V

Also we have a manager in Askey, that against the odds got us pushing for promotion.  Had it not been for the virus and the benevolence of our superb owners, we may well have been putting a league one

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

What’s the story with Palmer?  I haven’t checked, but isn’t he still under contract?

Been offered a new contract but not signed. I think he'll end up getting a league 1 contract. His record over the last couple of years means someone will probably take a punt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, valeparklife said:

Just out of interest - why is Seddon being his agent a concern?

I think he comes across as a decent bloke?

I just used to find him funny when he used to go off talking to his Mum. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Walsall are reported to have offered him a contract.

He'll get a lot of offers. There is a real shortage of goalscorers available. Distinctly average record before Crawley. I'm not overly convinced by his overall play but I'm pretty certain we've got him under consideration.  Despite his size he's more like Cullen than Pope. In terms of leading the line Joe Ironside impressed me last season. Seemed to have a well balanced game and be able to do a bit of everything. I think to get Palmer we'd need to go all in with a wage offer, possibly similar to Doyle at Bolton. I'm not sure he's any better than Cullen, so potentially a lot of money for someone sitting on the bench. Big call for the Askey.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good to talk about possible signings and whet the appetite.

I wonder if we are now looking at a target man, like Pope, rather than a quicker, nippier lad.

We didn't have the tallest team last year and without Pope (and Bennett) we look short on height.

I'm not a fan of Palmer and doubt he'd come here to be a squad player, unless someone like him starts and it's Pope on the bench more often.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, TheSage said:

Good to talk about possible signings and whet the appetite.

I wonder if we are now looking at a target man, like Pope, rather than a quicker, nippier lad.

We didn't have the tallest team last year and without Pope (and Bennett) we look short on height.

I'm not a fan of Palmer and doubt he'd come here to be a squad player, unless someone like him starts and it's Pope on the bench more often.

Pope started more games on the bench than as a starter last season and I expect that trend to continue. Agree about the lack of height and it will be interesting to see how and if that is addressed within the new signings. At the moment I'm pretty sure Cullen has the striker shirt. Another striker to come in, so Pope will probably be third choice next season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's no doubt we have to start planning for life without Pope but I think Askey used him quite well last year he had no injuries & was top scorer. Although I don't Pope likes sitting on the bench he just wants to play for his club

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, dishydave said:

There's no doubt we have to start planning for life without Pope but I think Askey used him quite well last year he had no injuries & was top scorer. Although I don't Pope likes sitting on the bench he just wants to play for his club

Sure he'll still be used but in the right games and the right time during the other games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not getting the Ironside love in whatsoever. 

Just my opinion. He's 26 and a late starter in the game. Put aside the fact he had an okay game against us in possibly our worst performance of the season , he got 6 all season and I might be wrong but that may of included the odd penalty. 

He's not for me, but what do I know. 

Edited by darren1810
Spelling error
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Not getting the Ironside love in whatsoever. 

Just my opinion. He's 26 and a late starter in the game. Put aside the fact he had an okay game against us in possibly our worst performance of the season , he got 6 all season and I might be wrong but that may of included the odd penalty. 

He's not for me, but what do I know. 

There is very little aside from Palmer. Matt got 20 12 months ago but is over 30 and only got 6 or 7 a season outside that. If you want a league 2 target man who is available they are pretty much the alternatives. Nicky Maynard maybe but I suspect he's beyond our pay grade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Not getting the Ironside love in whatsoever. 

Just my opinion. He's 26 and a late starter in the game. Put aside the fact he had an okay game against us in possibly our worst performance of the season , he got 6 all season and I might be wrong but that may of included the odd penalty. 

He's not for me, but what do I know. 

Someone like Ironside would be OK in the shorter term, providing they were happy to be a squad player. If we assume Cullen to be favourite for the lone striker role then we just need options.  If given a decent run, and barring injury, we can reasonably expect Cullen to score 15+.  I can't see us going out and signing anyone prolific, we'll need a number of players who can chip in, and Ironside, or whoever, needs to score 10+.  As things stand we also need to replace Taylors goals from midfield and it may be easier to do this than find a ready made 20 goal striker.

Edited by Guitar Ray
edit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like the Rodney signing. Never seen him play before but love the fact JA is backing himself and his staff judgement with a 3 year deal. Makes it sound like a development signing however it wouldn't surprise me if he turns out to be a starter if he give us more of a goal threat.

As for Ironside & Palmer I don't get the love for either of them. Don't think either of them have a better all round game than Cullen.

Agree we need another striker though, personally would like to see a statement signing in this position.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Slightly off-topic perhaps but given that 5 subs allowed seems to be the norm at the moment then perhaps this will become the norm when the new season starts.

That will really give teams options on the subs bench and players sat on the bench will have a pretty good idea that they will be used at some point.

This may have a bearing on the type of players (particularly up front) we are looking at, of course we all realise that the Pontiff is nearing the end of his career and again that will be on Askeys mind.

I have every faith in Mr. Askey and his backroom staff to bring in the right type of player and I'm sure that Devante fits that bill not only for this next season but for a number to come.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think some of the comments on here / FB can only be the work of wind up merchants. 

In Askey I feel we may at last found a decent manager who can galvanise the club in a way I think only Rudge and Adams have done in my lifetime (Horton never really did it for me I’m afraid). 

I feel excited about the Rodney signing, this is exactly the sort of player we should be after. A player that has the attributes albeit a bit raw but who Askey will coach to become better. The rewards are, potentially, phenomenal if we get this right as young goal scorers are like gold dust.

For once, I feel very excited for what the rest of the transfer window might bring. I can’t say as I’m bothered about losing Smith, who I thought was better in L1 than in L2 for me.

I’ll say it now...Vale to finish in the playoffs at least next year and Rodney to hit double figures.

Edited by Biddulph_PV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

I think some of the comments on here / FB can only be the work of wind up merchants. 

In Askey I feel we may at last found a decent manager who can galvanise the club in a way I think only Rudge and Adams have done in my lifetime (Horton never really did it for me I’m afraid). 

I feel excited about the Rodney signing, this is exactly the sort of player we should be after. A player that has the attributes albeit a bit raw but who Askey will coach to become better. The rewards are, potentially, phenomenal if we get this right as young goal scorers are like gold dust.

For once, I feel very excited for what the rest of the transfer window might bring. I can’t say as I’m bothered about losing Smith, who I thought was better in L1 than in L2 for me.

I’ll say it now...Vale to finish in the playoffs at least next year and Rodney to hit double figures.

I feel the same way really. I just listened to the Ale and the Vale podcast (which was great btw) and Carol said Smith wants a new challenge, and suggested it was probably for the best. I wish him all the best, but at least there won’t be the discussion of ‘is he too small’ ‘he was part of a unsuccessful team for 3 years’ etc. It’s a clean break and I look forward to who Askey can entice to Vale Park. 

I certainly wouldn’t lay your bet, Askey knows his stuff, and Rodney has not signed to make up the numbers and sit on the bench. I’m quietly confident he will surprise a few as to how quickly he adapts to league 2, only time will tell, but watch this space. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Boslem's Brazil said:

I feel the same way really. I just listened to the Ale and the Vale podcast (which was great btw) and Carol said Smith wants a new challenge, and suggested it was probably for the best. I wish him all the best, but at least there won’t be the discussion of ‘is he too small’ ‘he was part of a unsuccessful team for 3 years’ etc. It’s a clean break and I look forward to who Askey can entice to Vale Park. 

I certainly wouldn’t lay your bet, Askey knows his stuff, and Rodney has not signed to make up the numbers and sit on the bench. I’m quietly confident he will surprise a few as to how quickly he adapts to league 2, only time will tell, but watch this space. 

I agree with that, I have watched a few videos of Rodney and I think he will be a scorer next season, with the likes of Pope to learn from. With Smith he is good, but as stated replaceable. The defence at times last season with the amount of wins, turning to draws was the area most need in strengthening. So maybe him leaving will help his career and also give the squad added strength where the replacement is. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Reporting Posts and Ignoring Users

    Moderators don't read everything. Please don't assume we'll spot rule breaking (e.g. personal abuse) - use the orange report button above a post to alert them.

    If you can't get on with another forum user you can select the "ignore" option. Simply click on the link below, type in their username and save - Click here




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy