Jump to content

New striker signing - Devante Rodney


Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, Joe B said:

Lad on Twitter informs me he's non-league, we need experienced League 2 players to get promoted, and we can't be wasting money on reserves.

I know its a game of opinions, and the debate is half of the fun, but I proper despair at times...

I'd much rather a few young, hungry players that fit within our wage structure, than to do what Mansfield have been doing (and failing) for years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Heard a few tit-bits about this signing today. The management at Salford didn't want to lose him but were told he had to be let go to finance the signing of Andrade, Elliott and Wilson in January. All

The vast majority of the time, I tend to read social media following on from the arrival of a mew signing,  and I’m absolutely baffled at the negativity that gets thrown around given the fact 99% of V

Also we have a manager in Askey, that against the odds got us pushing for promotion.  Had it not been for the virus and the benevolence of our superb owners, we may well have been putting a league one

Posted Images

Looking at Scottish strikers that are free transfers - all I can find is Alex Jakubiak who has played for Scotland U19 and was released by Watford in the summer after numerous loans?

Ahhh I missed this haha!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

Unofficial Vale on Twitter seems to be suggesting a Scottish link...

Scottish club or Scottish player?

I'd still put a tenner on Devante Rodney 😉

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, robf said:

I can't understand some other fans. I think there's always room for the odd "rough diamond" or gamble in the squad. 

Askey says he wants two strikers this summer, presuming the other is a more established name then we have three proven players and a chancer. The chancer may even come good but if he doesn't that's the gamble. 

If last season was an indication then we're not going to be that active in the loan market. If any of the other three get injured or this lad doesn't step up then we've got the option to get someone in that way in January and fill the gap.

You can't have four players who all think they are first choice for the same position - that's just going to bring dressing room discord and squad unity looks to be something Askey is really keen on.  

Rob, I understand what you’re saying about being first choice, but surely competition is healthy and allowing players to think that they’ll always be playing even if their form has dipped is unhealthy. Also if the team isn’t performing then we need to make changes, every team has a blip. With injuries and suspensions, if a player comes in, the team is winning, is it right to drop them, when the player is available again.? I understand human behaviour but they should be there for the team, not personal gain.

i hope I haven’t misinterpreted your post, if I have then I apologise

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:

Rob, I understand what you’re saying about being first choice, but surely competition is healthy and allowing players to think that they’ll always be playing even if their form has dipped is unhealthy. Also if the team isn’t performing then we need to make changes, every team has a blip. With injuries and suspensions, if a player comes in, the team is winning, is it right to drop them, when the player is available again.? I understand human behaviour but they should be there for the team, not personal gain.

i hope I haven’t misinterpreted your post, if I have then I apologise

The balance between competition and players becoming unhappy due to a lack of opportunity is a difficult one to get right. I don't think it was healthy for Archer last year as realistically he wasn't going to get game time. At some point there is a drop off in training intensity. Players understand getting dropped when not playing well but they still need to see a way back into the team. Although different types of players all 4 strikers last season could only really function in one position so by December I'd imagine Archer in particular would have been pretty demotivated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JRC said:

The balance between competition and players becoming unhappy due to a lack of opportunity is a difficult one to get right. I don't think it was healthy for Archer last year as realistically he wasn't going to get game time. At some point there is a drop off in training intensity. Players understand getting dropped when not playing well but they still need to see a way back into the team. Although different types of players all 4 strikers last season could only really function in one position so by December I'd imagine Archer in particular would have been pretty demotivated. 

I agree with this but there's no doubt that if a player has the shirt then Askey is loyal to them. 

He had the opportunity to recall Pope, Smith and Amoo on the odd occasion, but because replacements played well he rightly stuck with them. 

Archer wasn't helped by dislocating his shoulder at Newport and it never really happened for him at Vale, this happens in football. 

If Rodney gets a shirt and performs then JA will pick him. The squad from a fans point of view looks tight and all pulling in the right direction. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, darren1810 said:

I agree with this but there's no doubt that if a player has the shirt then Askey is loyal to them. 

He had the opportunity to recall Pope, Smith and Amoo on the odd occasion, but because replacements played well he rightly stuck with them. 

Archer wasn't helped by dislocating his shoulder at Newport and it never really happened for him at Vale, this happens in football. 

If Rodney gets a shirt and performs then JA will pick him. The squad from a fans point of view looks tight and all pulling in the right direction. 

Where Rodney has an advantage he will compete with 3 other players for one spot in the middle ... but 3 other players for the wide roles. Add in Worrall may well play some games in midfield and he'll always feel he's close to getting a run. Askey's strength is he is seen as fair. It was an unfortunate reality for Archer that the players ahead of him were both better and didn't pick up many injuries. We ended up with 4 specialists for one role and really it was one too many.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Highlights from his time at Halifax, I think these may have already been posted.

Can play anywhere across the front 3 providing cover and freeing Monty up to focus on becoming the best left back in league 2.

Looks like he has an eye for a good pass too.

All he has to do is better Archers Contribution to be an improvement to the squad... In Askey we trust.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who is the person who opened the door for him ? 

I'm assuming, I'm probably wrong , that he's paid from now as can't be furloughed ?

If so then yet again hats off to our hierarchy for backing JA . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Comments from the Stockport forum:

That's a pity, as we had rather hoped Rodders would return to us! 

He did well enough whilst on loan at County. Bags of pace, and could cut in from the left with deadly effect when on song. As I say, we would have been pretty happy to have him back - but good luck to him, if he ends up at Vale Park.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Reporting Posts and Ignoring Users

    Moderators don't read everything. Please don't assume we'll spot rule breaking (e.g. personal abuse) - use the orange report button above a post to alert them.

    If you can't get on with another forum user you can select the "ignore" option. Simply click on the link below, type in their username and save - Click here




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy