I think the whole market will be reset though that won’t be greatly visible as it’s about wages which the public never quite know. Some of these previously unattainable players from clubs that have not been spending sustainably will have to recalibrate. My guess would be we’re already in fairly sensible territory and have managed the main thing which is keeping a decent core that will probably improve. I just hope Carol’s business away from the club is ok and doesn’t impact on her ability to run the club as well as we’ve seen. (I also hope that out of respect and affection for Carol btw!).

• Like 1

No surprises on that list.  As others have said, there’ll be a good pool of players to pick from this summer.  Whoever we recruit  I trust JA to get good value for money.

Of those offered contracts, can we be sure they’ll all sign?

I’d also echo the sentiments of other posters in saying Thank You to those released players, and wish them all the best of luck in getting fixed up elsewhere.  They may not have played many games between them but all have contributed in reestablishing the club and getting us to the cusp of the playoffs.  If nothing else the dressing room harmony and team spirit has been much improved this season, these players have been a part of that.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Mansfield had a huge cull

One that jumps out ( on Yeovil form )

Otis Khan

Yes was a good attacking midfielder/winger in a poor side at Yeovil but has been disappointing by all accounts at Mansfield.  I think he was a West Brom youth so could be fairly local based.  Is he greatly better than what we have already though?

Edited by Shropshire_Valiant

I like the retained list, mainly because it was the one I voted for with the exception of Browne where I couldn't make up my mind. 

Askey has said he wants 6 in. My guess;

Goalkeeper .... definite

Rightback cover for Gibson

Leftback or Centrehalf ... what does he see as Montano's best position, does he see Crookes as a leftback or centrehalf, where are Campbell-Gordon and Hurst in their development and in the case of Hurst where does he see him playing

Midfield .... cover for Joyce. Maybe one more depending on where Worrall will play

Wingers ... maybe one

Centreforward ... one but ideally 2

As I'm sad, I've spent a bit of time perusing the names being released and have lobbed them in a spreadsheet, categorising them by Great, Good, Average, Poor, and Farmer.

I'm yet to come across a 'Great' player yet (described as a player elite for League 2, capable of playing in League 1), but considering age and quality, these are the 'Good' (described as a starter for most sides at this level) names I've got:

GK - Chris Neal

FBs - Scott Wiseman, Ryan Jackson

CBs - Krystian Pearce, George Taft

CMs - Alex MacDonald, Michael O'Connor, Paul Lewis

W/AMs - Otis Khan, Harry McKirdy, Otis Khan

Fs - Frank Nouble

• Thanks 1

Would like to have seen Will Atkinson offered a contract, decent player at this level and can cover at Right Back, maybe he's one of the players Carol said Vale would have liked to keep but financial reasons dictated otherwise. Pleased Luke Joyce has accepted, would love to see Jake Taylor and Mitch Clarke back on loan next season if funds are available. Hope all the 7 players offered contracts accept.

Getting Clark and Taylor back would be amazing. Wouldn't be far off then, assuming the ones offered a deal decide to stay 

Yet another fresh start for Manny who would be like a new signing and a good striker 

Boom bring it on 

Edited by darren1810
Spelling error

2 hours ago, Joe B said:

Maddison is a good lad, who according to the Vale players improved a lot this year, but I think the fact his only appearance was against Newcastle U23s in the Checkatrade, when we've got an ageing first choice, is probably indicative that we didn't think he was/will be ready.

Would love Palmer; looking around retained lists of Colchester, Cambridge, Carlisle, and Salford (have I missed any), the likes of:

Harry McKirdy

Stefan Scougall

Frank Nouble

Michael O'Connor

Chris Neal

Kyle Letheren

Scott Wiseman

Craig Conway

Nathan Pond

George Taft

Paul Lewis

Are all names that have proven they can do the business at this level. Some are positions we don't need players at; some are too old; some are questionable characters.

Its the League 1 retained list we want to be looking at, as well as the Category 1 Academies.

Palmer I think is on the radar.

Askey doesn't seem keen on older players.

Nouble might be of interest as he can play out wide or through the middle. Only 28.

George Taft depending on whether he wants a centrehalf (which Taft really is) or a leftback.

Paul Lewis, ex Macc where he was an attacking midfielder but played well this year as a holding midfielder. Probably keen to get closer to home.

Ryan Jackson as rightback cover, but can't see him coming as cover

Brandon Comley who does a similar job to Joyce.

McKirdy ticks a lot of boxes BUT not an Askey type character. Reminds me of MBW but comes across as a tool. Shame as he's scored 11 from midfield.

Theo Archibald can play fullback and wing on both sides but rumoured to be off to Lincoln

Nathan Thomas is a decent player but rumour is he was on 10k a week at Sheffield

Stefan Scougil but not really sure he's better than Browne so not likely to challange.

Hayden White as a possible second rightback

Kristian Pearce too good to come as a backup, maybe if Smith goes

Otis Khan looked a good player, Mansfield seem to have become the waste chute for good players over the last 2 years

IMHO JA's additions will be dependent of who out of the 7 don't accept. Gonna be some very good out of contract players available, hope we can be quick and decisive but always stay within means.

Always surprised Krystian Pearce never pushed on to at least League One perhaps Championship he looked good on loan for us early in his career and was highly rated, yet has spent most of his career at Notts, Torquay and Mansfield in League Two.   I guess him, Brisley and Legge could form some sort of partnership should Smith leave(as seems likely).

• Like 1

Whilst we cant be sure they will all sign I have to say I'm quite hopeful this time round of keeping some of those lads.  The club seems a happy place for the first time in many a year and I think the lack of security anywhere at the moment could do us a favour.

I'd be over the moon if they all signed to be honest. 

As much as I think McKirdy is a spoilt brat I would not be surprised if we signed him as his grandfather is one of John Rudge's best mates. He does have the skills needed as his eleven goals from last season show, he just needs to control his temper.

28 minutes ago, Shropshire_Valiant said:

should Smith leave(as seems likely).

Any particular reason to say that Shropshire? I would have thought under the current circumstances we are more likely to be able to keep him.

• Like 1

As much as I think McKirdy is a spoilt brat I would not be surprised if we signed him as his grandfather is one of John Rudge's best mates. He does have the skills needed as his eleven goals from last season show, he just needs to control his temper.

Askey wouldn’t touch him with a barge pole.

19 minutes ago, Frank Mustard said:

Askey wouldn’t touch him with a barge pole.

Any team that signs him and gets him to play as part of the team will have a very good player. Don't see Askey as a manager who signs mavericks. There is no doubt McKirdy has the potential to play in the Championship.

1 hour ago, rayzer said:

McKirdy thinks he’s god’s gift. Falls over too much. I very much doubt Rudgie would let his friendship with his grandad override his common sense. McKirdy is also rather lightweight. 

Edited by Jacko51

2 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

IMHO JA's additions will be dependent of who out of the 7 don't accept. Gonna be some very good out of contract players available, hope we can be quick and decisive but always stay within means.

What will slow things down is any new rules/format changes. Things like the proposed wage cap and mentioned limits on numbers of players in squad.  None of this appears to have been agreed yet.  Lots of things have yet to be formalised.  I’ve even read in today’s Sentinel the rumour of League 2 amalgamating with the National League and then going regionalised.  Until the format, and any new rules are fully ratified it’s going to be very difficult for clubs to plan.

• Like 2