onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

What are people’s thoughts on JA.

Playa Amodores

On 30/10/2019 at 08:08, Vale fan in Alsager said:

With them second bottom of there league it deflects the results we have as a lot of folk on the sites I go on are it seems more joyful over there results than our own .

Like I say I’ve only attended two games my third is sat Crewe away and in both games I enjoyed the application and performance level of the players involved in those games .

So I cannot really comment on recent home draws v Mansfield Stevenage and Oldham but I can say it beats losing all three like we have done in previous seasons badly to the said sides.

I will go on about his substitutions though as it seems he is more concerned about losing than trying to win games .

Archer showed in game v a higher league side that he can add something different to our final third so why hasn’t he being given the nod v Stevenage and Oldham second half at least and by the time he makes the subs it’s too late .

The every game supporters would be a better judge than me so i will leave it at that .

UTV 

I'm off topic here so apologies.

Where has all this Archer is the answer come from? Based on a showing against Shrewsbury reserves ? He never featured at all for Bury. Don't get me wrong I hope he has a great Vale career but I'd love to know where all this blind Faith has come from.

Almost an Achille Campion situation where the longer he never plays the better he becomes . That ended well didn't it 

Advert

13 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Yeah not the case here, it's definitely a tad calmer in comparison to elsewhere. As Joe B says (I know you're not on there but it is the case), on Facebook/Twitter etc after some games, the abuse the players/Askey cop & the absolute outrage at a bad performance is pretty crazy.

There's very little middle ground when it comes to Vale at the moment, zero patience from a lot of fans. Win two in a row & we're playoffs/aiming for the top, dont win for a few games & it's Askey out everywhere, we're garbage & going backwards, no improvement on last season etc.

What I'm worried about for Saturday isn't just losing to Crewe, it's the reaction from it.

Be interesting to see/hear the Crewe fans reaction after the match on Saturday!

If we beat them will they call for Artell's head? If they beat us(I know that's not going to happen!) will they gloat incessantly and suggest we rid ourselves of Askey? a draw and Artell will argue the ref was in our pocket!

8 minutes ago, onestepatatime said:

Be interesting to see/hear the Crewe fans reaction after the match on Saturday!

If we beat them will they call for Artell's head? If they beat us(I know that's not going to happen!) will they gloat incessantly and suggest we rid ourselves of Askey? a draw and Artell will argue the ref was in our pocket!

If we win I'm sure they'll be disappointed but not calling for his head. If they win, well I expect that will be the case for Askey with a lot of Vale fans.

I Imagine Artell's responses will be full of "we were far better than Vale on the day" for a win/draw, or "the ref had a big part to play" for a loss.

1 hour ago, onestepatatime said:

I'm not on facebook so I don't know what's said there.

Point I'm making on this thread is that maybe one or 2 have called for his head but the vast majority haven't. They have simply expressed their own opinions of the state of the club under his reign and possible long term questions. That is NOT saying get rid!

Some have made their own agenda by suggesting it's a "get rid of Askey" thread. 

No one has called this a 'get rid of Askey' thread.

The facts are; on the first page of this thread, someone says Askey is 'dire' and wants to 'get rid' of him. Literally in this very thread.

On Facebook, after every so-so performance, arguments break out between Vale fans, with the question of sacking Askey at the centre.

That's why people are annoyed.

53 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Where has all this Archer is the answer come from? Based on a showing against Shrewsbury reserves ? He never featured at all for Bury. Don't get me wrong I hope he has a great Vale career but I'd love to know where all this blind Faith has come from.

Almost an Achille Campion situation where the longer he never plays the better he becomes . That ended well didn't it 

He looked excellent in his two appearances, albeit in the Leasing.com.

He didn't play at Bury as they were the pre-eminent free scoring team in the country last year, with attackers like Nicky Maynard, Dom Telford, and Danny Mayor. A lad plucked from non-league was never going to get a look in.

32 minutes ago, Joe B said:

He looked excellent in his two appearances, albeit in the Leasing.com.

He didn't play at Bury as they were the pre-eminent free scoring team in the country last year, with attackers like Nicky Maynard, Dom Telford, and Danny Mayor. A lad plucked from non-league was never going to get a look in.

On the flip side, he looked poor at Macc, though he wasn't the only one. 

On 30/10/2019 at 11:51, Portvale4 said:

People calling for his head, please remember Rome wasn't built in a day. Askey hasn't even completed a full year yet as the Vale boss. For me it's clear to see the improvements he's made in short tenure. He's made us more attacking, more enjoyable to watch and has bought in more options all over the pitch.

He is taking us in the right direction. We are now looking up rather than constantly looking down. I can remember in the summer when Carol and Kevin purchased the club, people were saying that they would be pleased if we finished mid-table and that for me is very much going to happen. I think finishing anywhere between 10th to 14th would be a great success. Then we can go into the close season and get rid of some of the dead wood, but also keeping the core of the squad and then adding more quality to the squad. There is three or four that I would be happy to see leave but the rest I would be happy to see stay. Adding quality instead of quantity in the attack, midfield and defence would be brilliant. Then next season we could push for the play-offs.

I think people need to be careful what they wish for. Say we get rid of Askey like some people want, it's then a case of once again rebuilding. Letting a new manager bring in all of his own players and back room staff. That is something I don't want to see, it's happened way too often over the past five years.

My only real frustration with Askey is the fact that he leaves substitutions until the last 10 or 15 minutes, even though the majority of the fans are crying out for a change to get the three points instead of the one. The Stevenage and Oldham games spring to mind. At the end of the day though he is the manager and he can do whatever he wants.

Askey has got a three year deal, for me I would like to see him fulfil at least two years of them. Then if nothing is improving and we aren't pushing for at least the play-offs, then us as fans are then surely allowed to start to questioning Askey and the team. 

Vale fans remember we are state of transition. Carol and Kevin are still settling in and finding their feet. The club is still in a way damaged after the tenure of Norman, this whole process needs time. I believe it's very much on the way up.

Keep the faith Valiants! UTV!

Brilliant post. 

Without being silly and pretending that he is going to do exactly the same...

Klopp had a couple of years before Liverpool clearly turned the corner (including mega investment) and now been there 4 years.

Guardiola won nothing in his first year after taking over Man City (including mega investment).

Artell has manager at Crewe for nearly 3 years having already been involved for 3 years prior.

Success in football needs patience. As long as we are going in the right direction, I'm happy. I can take the odd calamity. If football was that easy then we wouldn't appreciate wins so much.  Given our budget, anywhere mid-table is successful. Given the starting position, I'm happy that he knows what he is doing.

Get behind him and C and K; they're all one of ours.  They all want the best for Vale in the long-term and that is the best recipe for success.

3 hours ago, cheshirevaliant said:

On the flip side, he looked poor at Macc, though he wasn't the only one. 

In my opinion, he was a breath of fresh air when he came in at Macc and was the only me interested. The problem blew was another late substitution. I started this thread and even though I’m satisfied with JA, I’d like to see Archer start. We have very little if nothing up front unless Pope starts. The proof if this is the fact that we’ve created very little in recent games against clubs all towards the bottom of the league. Archers time is long overdue. As was once said by the most famous philosopher, when you keep trying the same thing hoping to get a different result, then that’s the first sign of madness. As I’ve stated many times on here. I went to the friendly with a Bury and saw Archer torment and destroy the Vale defenders. You might say friendliest mean nothing and I’d agree with that. However it was this performance that made JA bring him to Vale. So give Archer a start or if he’s injured then say so. I’d guess he isn’t injured as against Oldham we had three forwards on the bench.

UTV

5 hours ago, darren1810 said:

Don’t think Cullen or Archer will be starting games yet as both have struggled to find fitness to play a full match.

Both May be used as impact subs in the second half to replace Pope or Bennett and will have to await their chance

especially as Askey likes to play with one up front.

20 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:

In my opinion, he was a breath of fresh air when he came in at Macc and was the only me interested. The problem blew was another late substitution. I started this thread and even though I’m satisfied with JA, I’d like to see Archer start. We have very little if nothing up front unless Pope starts...

I know this is off topic, but out of the 27 goals we've scored this season, Bennett has been on the pitch for 19 of them (16/21 in the league), with 5 goals & 3 assists (our top scorer). I wouldn't say we have nothing up front when Pope doesn't start.

I do agree with giving Archer game time though, think he's looked decent when he's been on the pitch.

I agree that when we may need to change things in a game that Archer could give us a different dimension.  But I don’t think we’ve seen enough of Archer to judge him fairly. Would he really be better from the off than Bennett or Pope? I don’t know. But in the main this season they’ve don’t alright for us. So for me I think it’s a case of a player who isn’t playing seeming better than he is by virtue of the fact he isn’t playing. I don’t think he ripped us apart either in a friendly. The manger sees him every day in training, so there’s a reason why he isn’t getting that much game time or starting. 

The thing is, it doesn't matter who you've got up front if they get no service/support. You could have Messi up there and he'd do nothing. Bennett was poor Sat, but what service did he get? The problem with the 4-3-3 is if you are on the backfoot it can end up being 4-5-1.

Even if you are on the front foot it can be a "front" 3 with the two wider front players so separated from the central one, he still ends up being isolated. As happened Sat. You need wide men who can come in more central when required to support the central player. 

Worrall can do this, Monty to a certain extent, but Browne and Amoo are more out and out wide men. 

We're well stocked with decent strikers, but they still need the Ammo.

I know this is off topic, but out of the 27 goals we've scored this season, Bennett has been on the pitch for 19 of them (16/21 in the league), with 5 goals & 3 assists (our top scorer). I wouldn't say we have nothing up front when Pope doesn't start.

I do agree with giving Archer game time though, think he's looked decent when he's been on the pitch.

The poster you’ve quoted has a strange obsession with slating Bennett (despite him being our top scorer)

Archived