onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

John Askey, Dave kevan

connor hackett

Tyler, mate, don't go over the top about someone who kept us up last year and was a legend here as a player.

I agree with a lot of what you say. I too don't think he was good enough to go any further with us but he did spot Oyeleke and got Howkins back here so he wasn't all bad. Choose your words carefully, please.

For me, like Foyle, Glover and Sproson, he might not have been a success as manager but he'll forever be one of the best players ever to pull on a Vale shirt.

I also think Aspo had a few legal issues and problems at home to contend with tbh. A gentleman and forever a true Vale legend as far as I'm concerned. I wish him well.

Advert

If the season was a few games longer we would have gone down with Aspin last season. It was quite clear to most that he was in way over his head, was on a very steep decline and will basically never be a football league manager as long as he's got a hole in his arse.

It wasn't clear to most when he kept Vale in Lge 2 last year and when Vale were sitting pretty...ish after winning at Yeovil.

Aspo will forever be a true Vale legend. He picked up the baton or poison chalice handed to him by possibly the worst football chairman in the country. Show respect.

With out wanting to cause any arguments I think the poster above was quite clearly talking about aspin the manager not the player. I feel to many people confuse the two. Respect as a player was fully earned. This respect, in part, got us into this mess. Let’s be quite clear this respect for aspin would have seen us relegated. To then leave as he did the day before the transfer window seriously blotted his copy book! Respect as A MANAGER hard as it is to say = 0.

The best thing any vale fan can do is shut out the last 12 months and forget that aspin was ever here. That way we can pay tribute to the player he was.

It wasn't clear to most when he kept Vale in Lge 2 last year and when Vale were sitting pretty...ish after winning at Yeovil.

If it was down to you we would be playing Conference football next season under Aspin or Brown.

Thank **** it isn't.

Tyler, mate, don't go over the top about someone who kept us up last year and was a legend here as a player.

I agree with a lot of what you say. I too don't think he was good enough to go any further with us but he did spot Oyeleke and got Howkins back here so he wasn't all bad. Choose your words carefully, please.

For me, like Foyle, Glover and Sproson, he might not have been a success as manager but he'll forever be one of the best players ever to pull on a Vale shirt.

I'm not sure why people have to bring him up as a player. It was how many years ago now? And being a brilliant defender, and/or a genuine club legend, doesn't have any baring on what he does or did as a manager.

Yes, he just about kept us up, but I'm pretty sure the vast majority of other managers would have. I knew then it was going to end in tears but he did deserve to have a summer where he could recruit players that he wanted. But it doesn't matter who you sign when you're as bad tactically as he was and as uninspiring as he was. While he was in charge I always used to ask here if anyone thought any other league club would recruit him whenever his Vale stint was over, and the silence was always deafening.

That said, and despite the fact that clearly I never rated him as a manager, I genuinely wish the fella all the best. Not just because he was a great servant for the club, but I'd wish any bloke off the street the same just as long as he wasn't vermin.

With out wanting to cause any arguments I think the poster above was quite clearly talking about aspin the manager not the player. I feel to many people confuse the two. Respect as a player was fully earned. This respect, in part, got us into this mess. Let’s be quite clear this respect for aspin would have seen us relegated. To then leave as he did the day before the transfer window seriously blotted his copy book! Respect as A MANAGER hard as it is to say = 0.

The best thing any vale fan can do is shut out the last 12 months and forget that aspin was ever here. That way we can pay tribute to the player he was.

I thank Aspin for keeping us up after Browns tenure when we were cut adrift, having said that he could have done some things better of course - but working under the worst owner in the football league having players thrown at him he didn't want and all the disruption he must have faced internally would surely take it toll.

Promised 400k in jan , original players targets think he got up to 12 that he missed out on, Seems worral had issues, many not fit couldn't play legge it seemed.

He didn't do a fantastic job but wasn't the worst considering what he had to deal with (plus our away form wasn't too bad either).

onto the future Askey has hit a rich seam which is to be admired hopefully the loosening grip of the dictator is finally the start of the green shoots however still a long road ahead but something at last to be positive about and this shouldn't be a stick to beat aspin

How long are people going to use Smurf as an excuse for Aspin being cack? Aspin should be in love with him seeing as Smurf was the one to give him the opportunity in the first place.

Hand on heart would any of you trust Neil Aspin with 400K anyway?! I wouldn't trust him with a packet of malted milk biscuits.

How long are people going to use Smurf as an excuse for Aspin being cack? Aspin should be in love with him seeing as Smurf was the one to give him the opportunity in the first place.

Hand on heart would any of you trust Neil Aspin with 400K anyway?! I wouldn't trust him with a packet of malted milk biscuits.

Yep I would trust him, didn't do too bad with his signings, manny,hannant,legge,brown,poss conlon all free , now what would 400k bring- we will never know he didn't have the chance...but had plenty of false promises wonder who the 12 players in the summer we missed out on...like I say hard to judge anyone under this dictator as we don't know what games are being played in the background in addition to the ones we know he plays in public.

Back to Askey, maintaining promotion form until the end of the season would be a great advert for attracting/retaining players for next season. The next test is of our scouting system, I assume Askey`s and Aspin`s non-league knowledge would be similar, what JR`s input will be who knows, ownership another factor, likely to be an interesting close season.

Archived