onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread - Port Vale v Morecambe

Fosse69

To be honest I don’t think it is any coincidence we are the lowest scorers in the league and Pope has played in 95% of the games. It shouldn’t be about ‘getting players around Tom’ as we keep hearing. Strikers should be able to create their own chances and have some pace to get in behind. Football has moved on' date=' and sadly we haven’t. Pope should be an impact sub when we go direct at the end of a match.[/quote']

Hope is new 2 year contract has a get out clause on our side if/when we are relegated.

Last season was his last hurrah, and with us only having Popeball as a plan it is killing us.

Advert

If we didn’t have popes goals we would have been relegated last year never mind this.

True, but that is gone. On that basis let’s sign Tosh and Foyley back up as they used to be decent as well.

No doubt the 2 year contract extension was just another sop to appease the fans

Hope is new 2 year contract has a get out clause on our side if/when we are relegated.

Last season was his last hurrah, and with us only having Popeball as a plan it is killing us.

Good post. Can't knock Tom for his excellent service over the years.......BUT let's be honest now, everything revolves around him with constant hoof ball. We just don't have the players to supply Tom with the required crosses and passes so as to cash in on his obvious forte of headers towards the goal. Frankly we have to attempt, even with the poor squad we have, to completely revise the tactics and get runners etc to actually try and go past opponents. Everyone and his dog, including every team we play against know exactly how Vale are going to set up and play. We are so, so predictable and we are losing our League status without a whimper. I expect to be lambasted for saying this but we have to take Tom out of the starting line up to see if we can devise a different approach to games. Face it, with him from the start we are down and out, look at the League, look at the way with him we are sliding into oblivion. He's been given a 2 year contract too. I hope that was simply in recognition of his efforts over the years because I fear for Vale's entire future if he is the expected answer to get Vale back into the League. Sorry Tom, but I am not alone with these thoughts.

We were mugged and have to credit the Morecambe keeper for a stellar performance. It’s a difficult one, 9 times out of 10 we win that 3-0 and earlier in the season we win that but something has changed dramatically with this squad.

You kinda knew what was going happen when things were going against us like that and it proved the case. Looks bleak now and need a good couple of games to recover this.

Spot on. Only 1 place he could put it with that run up, and as you say perfect height.

As others have said appears immune from criticism by many, but for me aside from constantly berating other players he often adds very little.

Popey is well past his best! and does dictate how we play,always wanting the ball played to him even if others in better positions. The arm waving irritates the **** out of me, and helps no one! Believes in his own hype in my opinion

Banned for a reasonable opinion / observation? This is England not North Korea mate. He along with the other 9 outfield players continue to let us down. He alone has cost us 2 points in two games. Hopefully he will be hurting as much as the rest of us loyal fans but let’s not kid ourselves and defend the indefensible. Penalties are considered so easy by some when Rico used to bang them in they were devalued as lesser goals. Did he or did he not broadcast the penalty today?

I don't know why but I still don't count penalties when judging a forwards goal return but to suggest missing one lessens the player or their contribution or worse blame and or berate them if they do miss is churlish at best. I don't think Pope has had a good season, to his standards probably a poor season, and do feel, unlike every other player, there is a huge reluctance to criticise him when playing so poorly, in fact he appears to be immune, but he will be hurting like nobody else after missing that (and other decent chances)and maybe just maybe Popes confidence is as stretched as the rest of them?

It was suggested that Legge had an appearance clause in his contract that may be affecting his availability. He's played in the last two reserve games I've watched, as has Howkins.

Then why have him on the bench, unless only starts count? If it is the latter, then sub Rawlinson in the 1st minute!!

First game for me since MK Dons at home.

First half we played well lots of goal attempts but there goalie was incredible.

Second half not as good and I always thought we would give them a opportunity as we suffer from carelessness and sure enough we did and then it was desperate and sad see us slip to a defeat yet again.

listening to radio stoke on way home all I heard was moan ,moan ,moan .

Yes we want Smurf out but today I felt we deserved better.

Feel that we need the ball to be kinder to us and run for us then we will be fine .

Agree we were better, but concerning that when we had clearly lost our way 2nd half Askey made no changes to try and regain the initiative until it was too late

You keep saying that as though aspin was taking us in the right direction.

No, but Aspins last game was the 0-0 draw away at Newport, and we were 12 points off the bottom, now we're 5 points from bottom. So if your going get rid of a manager with 16 games to go and replace him with someone whos no better, then whats the point? I kept saying getting rid of Aspin was suicidel with 16 games to go,

Tom could have had a hat trick yesterday.

A different story would have been told.

He does seem to get over involved, probably because he cares.

In the lead up to the goal, he had just won the ball in the left back position!

Clark's clearance then came straight back.

Tom also lost his cool and gave away a raft of petulant fouls, this relieving pressure.

Cuts a very frustrated figure.

Trying too hard.

Just seen the pen on telly. Popey rather telegraphed it but the keeper moved ages before the kick and there was so much encroachment from the Morecambe players that they almost ran past Pope before he’d kicked it. Should have been a retake.

Happens with almost every penalty I see know days. The rules need to be looked at as Most penalties should be retaken for those rules.

Had it not been a football match Morecombe would now be under arrest for robbery,a good first half performance then fell into the trap that we've seen many times at the Vale,getting involved in the opponents gamesmanship,faking injuries,crowding around the ref and we fell for it and lost all composure,three points taken from us again but I'll keep the faith utv.

Archived