onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread - Crawley Town v Port Vale

Fosse69

Advert

I was thinking earlier that the points run rate, at the bottom, feels a little higher than last year. Not sure if that is true because I'm too lazy to check.

Still think that 50 points should do it though.

A bit of checking shows that the number of points gained by the team in 23rd position i.e. the tally you had to beat by points or superior goal difference was as follows:

17/18 46

16/17 46

15/16 34

14/15 41

13/14 50

12/13 51

11/12 44

10/11 47

09/10 44

08/09 37

08/09 was an amazing season because so many clubs were deducted points: Darlo 10; B'mouth 17; Rotherham 17; and Luton 30

Think you're right that the escape target will be on the higher side this season, maybe 51 points as in 12/13, the highest in the last ten seasons.

Whatever it is, we can't be complacent and it may come down to the last home game against Macca. Or even worse, the last game against Bury away, who may need the points for the playoffs. What a prospect!

The experience of Anthony Kay was very valuable in the absence of Pope today. Well done that man!

Although we've been on a poor run recently Kay's been consistently good in most games for me. Gets some unfair stick from a lot of fans in my opinion just because he's getting on abit. He's definitely worth a place in this team it's just about getting the right players around him.

Great 3 points today let's hope Aspin can pull a rabbit out the hat next Saturday so we don't have to trudge off out the ground morbidly depressed as per.

A bit of checking shows that the number of points gained by the team in 23rd position i.e. the tally you had to beat by points or superior goal difference was as follows:

17/18 46

16/17 46

15/16 34

14/15 41

13/14 50

12/13 51

11/12 44

10/11 47

09/10 44

08/09 37

08/09 was an amazing season because so many clubs were deducted points: Darlo 10; B'mouth 17; Rotherham 17; and Luton 30

Think you're right that the escape target will be on the higher side this season, maybe 51 points as in 12/13, the highest in the last ten seasons.

Whatever it is, we can't be complacent and it may come down to the last home game against Macca. Or even worse, the last game against Bury away, who may need the points for the playoffs. What a prospect!

Based on the fact that 3 teams currently have less points than games played (Notts, Macc and Morecambe) and only one of those are currently in good form, I would imagine that we will need similar points to last season. Let’s just hope that our away form continues (unbeaten in five) and that we can finally win a couple of home games. Another 15 or 16 points from 18 games should do it. Feeling a bit more positive tonight than for the last two months on a Saturday night.

The experience of Anthony Kay was very valuable in the absence of Pope today. Well done that man!

Kay who gave the ball away after stupidly and arrogantly over-playing, flicking without looking, and only didn't let Poleon in to score by a miracle couple of millimetres?

That may sound harsh but when you are 100 years old like Antony you should know better than to try to be flash when a forward is bearing down on you.

A few mm to the right and concede the first goal, we'd have lost.

Kay who gave the ball away after stupidly and arrogantly over-playing, flicking without looking, and only didn't let Poleon in to score by a miracle couple of millimetres?

That may sound harsh but when you are 100 years old like Antony you should know better than to try to be flash when a forward is bearing down on you.

A few mm to the right and concede the first goal, we'd have lost.

But we didn't. We're overdue a bit of luck and that aside we looked comfortable from what I saw.

Based on the fact that 3 teams currently have less points than games played (Notts, Macc and Morecambe) and only one of those are currently in good form, I would imagine that we will need similar points to last season. Let’s just hope that our away form continues (unbeaten in five) and that we can finally win a couple of home games. Another 15 or 16 points from 18 games should do it. Feeling a bit more positive tonight than for the last two months on a Saturday night.

I'm actually feeling depressed but I think that it is probably just force of habit on a Saturday.:smile:

I'm chuckling reading all the comments on here about the team selection. It was exactly the same against Yeovil!

Excellent performance. Deserved three points, unlike the three we won against them at Vale. Miller had his best game for us and could have scored more. Brown had one save to make. Elliott needs more time.

I'm chuckling reading all the comments on here about the team selection. It was exactly the same against Yeovil!

Excellent performance. Deserved three points, unlike the three we won against them at Vale. Miller had his best game for us and could have scored more. Brown had one save to make. Elliott needs more time.

Do you want Aspin to remain as manager, Jacko?

It was exactly the same against Yeovil because it's exactly the same every Saturday when Aspin names his starting eleven. Every week he is slated and our chances are written off on here. Thing is that the doubters have been right and Aspin has been wrong every week since Yeovil.

It was exactly the same against Yeovil because it's exactly the same every Saturday when Aspin names his starting eleven. Every week he is slated and our chances are written off on here. Thing is that the doubters have been right and Aspin has been wrong every week since Yeovil.
And for many weeks before

Overall that was a good performance. Obviously the team sheet didn’t make for great reading when we saw how many defenders were on the pitch and on the bench. That formation puts a lot of the onus on the 2 wingbacks to be our attacking outlets. That’s a big job for 2 fairly inexperienced players, but I thought they both stepped up today, especially gibbons who was excellent going both ways and his side was where most of our threats were coming from. But to be fair matching their system worked and we got the better of them in key areas I thought.

A few times we got into some really good positions and didn’t pick the right option, when we had a chance to shoot they took another touch or passed it, when they had a chance to find a player in a better position they either lost it or had a shot instead. So that was a bit frustrating.

They had a great chance first half from Kays error, (who was otherwise excellent again), when their lad went one on one with Brown. But equally at the other end I thought Miller had a really good chance that was blocked by their defender. The goal seemed to come from nothing, but fair play to Miller who even though he looked absolutely knackered put himself about all game. The one thing about having just Miller on was that it forced us to play to feet and we actually aren’t that bad when we play like that.

The back 3 was also very good, in particular Crookes and Rawlinson. Crookes looked comfortable on the ball and added some balance to the left hand side. It’ll be interesting to see what choices the manager makes as the games progress because if we change system to go to 4 at the back, who would you drop? Plus we have Legge to come in as well. But based on that performance today Crookes looks a good prospect, Rawlinson slotted straight back in with ease and Gibbons has had a decent run of 4 games now and has also added a threat down the right too. All good problems to have.

Hannant was everywhere again, he didn’t necessarily add that much quality but he really put himself about. I think the bench looked weak from an attacking perspective and it was a big ask for Elliott to come on and make an impact having never played at this level, I think it’s fair to say he looked a bit off it which is understandable. If I was whitfield, Dodds, Worrall or Turner I’d be having a good look at myself if someone like that is coming on before me or making the squad ahead of me.

MOM could be anyone from Rawlinson, Crookes, Gibbons or Kay for me. But it was a solid performance and another one that could buy the manager time. Why can we play like this away but not at home?

Well this win will shut a few people up. Yes we are inconsistent not just Aspin tactics. He has used these away before with good results. Good to see we play football with Miller on the park. I think we have got some players who will improve this year with games. We created a lot of chances today. Love Pope but when he is back we need to play the ball around and in front of him not just hoof it up to him. I hate Smurthwaite but who else is going to take us over? It’s like Brexit be careful what you wish for! Let’s give the boys on the field maximum support when we can. Just like me after home matches have a moan but during match top support, remember some of these players haven’t played 20 league matches and can improve.

Well said that man

Who'd of thought?

A superb three points and moving forward, a superb team performance, and I find it ironic that one could argue it was down to a person who didn't even play, Popey!

His absence forced NA to change the way he played, and if Tom had been watching he would have surely been questioning why the hell we couldn't play similarly every week, for if we had, been, especially with him in the middle we wouldn't be be in the situation we are.

Yes Brown could still lessen the amount of long clearances, but at least when he did, they went out wide not down the middle, but to me the match also proved many other things.

For example, one thing it has put to bed is Aspins penchant for playing CH's at full back has been one of utter folly and is an exercise that should, from this day forward never be repeated, moreso as both Clarke and Gibbons proved that given license, as obviously they were, to press forward in support of the midfield and particularly Miller, they will repay him and team many times over, because offensively and defensively I thought they were great.

I also thought, against a very pacy Crawley forward line, Rawlinson put in a very assured performance, and though personally I didn't think Smith had the best of games, in contrast and on this evidence, Adam Crooke will prove to be a superb addition. I admit I was one of many who bemoaned Aspin for signing another CH but based on yesterdays performance I readily take it back. Am afraid, am still not convinced about Joyce, but along with Manny and particular Hannant couldn't question his or their endeavours and efforts as like most, they really did put a shift in. Equally Kay's presence continues to concern me. I get that on the one hand we do benefit enormously from his experience and it showed yesterday, especially in the last twenty minutes where he was particularly vocal, but not only did he give the ball away on numerous occasions, when venturing forward, and we've all talked about the need and responsibility players have to track back, at his age am afraid he lacks the ability, or more accurate pace and fitness to do. . However to criticise anyone, would, after the shift they all put in be churlish,as collectively the performance was on a different level to those of the last couple of months.

Lastly I think it's only fair to applaud our lone striker, especially as for whatever reasons he hasn't played a competitive game for what two months. Put aside the winner, though it will surely do wonders for his confidence, not only did he run his proverbials off, I thought his hold up play was not only superb but also with the way he plays, which must annoy opposition defenders to hell, he has a knack to draw fouls at will, which bring much needed respite and opportunities to the team, so take a bow young man.

Ultimately though, yesterday brings us all hope, the boys have proven to Aspin (and us)that we no longer have to repeatedly lump the ball and this new modi-operandi is one that has to be continued with at all costs!

Archived