onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Where do we go from here?

Biddulph_PV

Yesterday was a new low for me. The first time I’ve ever left a game after 50 mins. I’d go as far as to say it was worst than the 4-0 (should have been 8-0) shambles at Sheff Utd that arguably set the rot in.

So the question....where does the team/club go from here?

Sub-4,000 home fans for top of the league in towns suggests people are sick and tired of what’s going on at the club.

Advert

Yesterday was a new low for me. The first time I’ve ever left a game after 50 mins. I’d go as far as to say it was worst than the 4-0 (should have been 8-0) shambles at Sheff Utd that arguably set the rot in.

So the question....where does the team/club go from here?

Sub-4,000 home fans for top of the league in towns suggests people are sick and tired of what’s going on at the club.

Middlesborough U21's on Tuesday night.

We have to learn and bounce back simple as that.

With the emotion calmed a bit the positive was that without Pope we got a couple of goals (should of had another with that Smith header). Odd stat is that we are the only side to score twice against Lincoln that’s a positive all be it small one but with better simple defending we’d have had a chance.

The other small positive is that was far from our first choice XI, missing big players like Manny, Pope, no Gibbons, Joyce or Monty.

The negative is though 6-7 played out of position (common theme)

Of the disruption to the squad the four of the back five are regulars and we got hit for six.

Is Aspin likely to go for a more positive approach after being hit for six? The negative approach that hasn’t worked in 2018 will likely still be used unless Manny returns soon.

What we have to hope is there is a determination to right this wrong Saturday.

We actually set up not to conceded and with four centre half’s all across the back and two defender playing wide left and right and we still conceded 6.

Absolutely awful.

I’m starting to think the players done want to play for Aspin.

I’m still baffled this morning.

We’re on the same points now as we were this time last year and I thought we had improved (slightly)

We’re in a relegation battle once again that’s for sure. (In a few weeks anyway)

We had 8 points last year at this point but won the next two... so with these two being away we might well be in 10 days time. Oldham seem iffy at home... maybe the best chance, Stevenage solid at home.

Wonder how far away Manny is?

Is it bad that with Mansfield Away almost certainly postponed (their last two have been on international weekends) that I’m looking forward to three weeks off in November from the stress of the league programme with that weekend following the cup first round weekend?

We have to learn and bounce back simple as that.

With the emotion calmed a bit the positive was that without Pope we got a couple of goals (should of had another with that Smith header). Odd stat is that we are the only side to score twice against Lincoln that’s a positive all be it small one but with better simple defending we’d have had a chance.

The other small positive is that was far from our first choice XI, missing big players like Manny, Pope, no Gibbons, Joyce or Monty.

The negative is though 6-7 played out of position (common theme)

Of the disruption to the squad the four of the back five are regulars and we got hit for six.

Is Aspin likely to go for a more positive approach after being hit for six? The negative approach that hasn’t worked in 2018 will likely still be used unless Manny returns soon.

What we have to hope is there is a determination to right this wrong Saturday.

Not so sure VF16, Pope and Manny i agree. Gibbons has only played about 3 games and is injured/ out of favour.

Monty been out pretty much all season and Joyce after a great debut has looked distinctly average and also lost his place.

Probably only 2 main players were actually missing yesterday.

The option of them wasn’t there though. Gibbons would have been more sensible than Vassell. Joyce I think would of been suited yesterday in terms of us having no target man so would be suited to getting it on the deck.

Either way I’d expect that line up on Tuesday rather than yesterday with those personnel. Still can’t get my head around that XI

Lincoln lost a player in the warm up, and had O'Connor and Akinde ( thank god or would of been 10 ) both out injured.

They made 3 changes and had the luxury of Matt Green on the bench.

You play a like for like replacement it isn't rocket science.

Manny is a cracking signing but it comes to something when a guy plying his trade with Aldershot last season is our saviour.

When he is out it is quite simple surely, either recall Joyce or go with ( another pointless ) loanee Hardcastle .

A lot has been said about players playing out of position and rightly so,but when you let in 5 goals in from set pieces that has little to do with formation and a lot to do with commitment and attitude,even if you play a centre half at centre forward he should still be able to defend a corner.

One thing for sure, if we aren't already cheesed off enough with the long ball tactics Aspo swears by, we soon will be, because as sure as tonic follows gin, the minute Pope is back, our main defensive ploy will now inevitably see us clearing the bloody thing earlier and longer, and worse to aid and abet that cunning ploy, and following on from the bosses need to make baffling decisions wouldn't rule out a future front pairing of Pope and Quigs, in fact, it become the norm !!!!

If we want to reverse the club's fortunes, we, the fans, initiate fundamental root and branch change at Port Vale.

If we want to continual this annual battle to retain our existence, as crowds steadily dwindle and we get embarrassed by teams such as Lincoln, then we can sit back, passively consume the turgid garbage served up (in a tinpot fashion, despite the club's income), and have a good boo when things go wrong, fundamentally not doing much to alter things apart from have a good moan.

Your choice Vale fans. We all know how most of us think.

I can understand trying Vassell but he was well off the pace. Go back to Rawlinson, Legge, Smith and Clarke as back four. Wide men without Pope or Quigley is a bit optimistic so 433. Conlon definitely keeps his place. Maybe, away from home there’s a place for Kay and Hannant. Up top, we’re uninspiringig but Whitfield, Miller and Worrall / Kanu. The formation / players out of position thing is a bit of a red herring. Even at this level players need a bit of flexibility in where they play due to squad size and injury. Yesterday, we missed Pope’s presence even at set pieces against us. We also maybe missed a gobby scouser to stick the nut on a few of them at half time. Not sure it’s causal but the dip in form does coincide with Brabin going. I’m not pleased with Aspin but the players have to take responsibility, not sulk about positions. There also has to be a bit of leadership from each and every one of them.

If we want to reverse the club's fortunes, we, the fans, initiate fundamental root and branch change at Port Vale.

If we want to continual this annual battle to retain our existence, as crowds steadily dwindle and we get embarrassed by teams such as Lincoln, then we can sit back, passively consume the turgid garbage served up (in a tinpot fashion, despite the club's income), and have a good boo when things go wrong, fundamentally not doing much to alter things apart from have a good moan.

Your choice Vale fans. We all know how most of us think.

What would be your plan what do you suggest to do and how?

Archived