onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Was that the worst refereeing ever seen at Vale Park?

old sage

And there lies the problem

Officials are not fit. I think it might of been the Stevenage game the ref had proper beer gut and his kit looked as though it had been sprayed on it was so tight.

I saw 20 fouls the ref didn't see, doesn't qualify me to officiate though

Advert

State of darren1810's comments. 2 likes as well. Christ. Can't really remember her making any particularly egregious incorrect calls, care to enlighten us Darren? I'm just a part of the PC brigade though.

Thought the officiating was fairly poor today but nothing out of the ordinary particularly. Thread seems a tad hyperbolic. Wouldn't feature amongst the worst reffing performances I've seen. It was better than the Chesterfield ref.

It got the the point in the second half where the crowd was that whipped up they were contesting even the most clear cut of decisions. The whole 'Pope gets nothing' issue is because Pope gives as much as he receives; they basically foul eachother so the refs give nothing. Its happened for 10 years now, I struggle to fathom how this still confuses people.

We lost the game cus we were dog in the 2nd half.

Surely you saw the incident when Pope received his yellow card.

No way was Pope fouling the no. 15.

no.15 should have been cautioned for this ' tackle '

I very rarely criticise when Pope gets stick from central defenders,

on the contrary i wish our defenders were more willing to give it out

but today was the exception for me. Pope was battered and it was, in the main, unfair and deserved a free kick

When the no. 15 then goes down as if hes has been hammered by Pope and the ref speaks with both and does not book the no. 15 i find unbelieveable.

** Except for the fact that THIS ref would normally have booked both players in this instance and as Pope had already been booked i think he favoured Pope and let it go. Not saying this was correct but it could have happened this way.

The referees a ****## the referees a ****##. You're not fit to referee,you're not fit to referee.Who's your father referee,you haven't got one ,you are a bast##d,you're a basf##d referee.You dont know what you're doing. This guy today fits the bill,

The problem I have with Pope v central defenders is that I would just prefer the ref to let them get on with it rather than award a free kick either way. A ball on the air is a 50/50 ball so unless there is a blatant push/elbow or the defender using Pope’s shoulders to get above him then I’d prefer the ref to leave it. Most of the time they’re both fouling each other anyway. That said, when Pope was booked for dissent, he was being fouled so I’m unsure as to why the ref gave the free kick to Crawley.

Most linesman at V P would not be classed as properly fit men.

No issue today with the lines person on Lorne street.

She saw one foull the ref didnt see

And in my opinion it wasn't a foul - the lad played the ball - but the ref was to blame for not even looking to his line. What he should have done was either overrule the linesman (yes, I know she was a woman) and wave play on or give a free kick as soon as she signalled. What he did was to stop play while he consulted her which did no one any good at all and led to the handbags that followed.

A truly terrible refereeing performance and up there with the worst I've ever seen.

If I were the suspicious type, and it wasn’t little Port Vale vs even littler Crawley in a League 2, I’d wonder whether something sinister was going on. It really was a performance that reaked of either outright incompetence, or deliberate bias towards the away team. I defy anybody to watch back that 90 mins and not come to the same conclusion.

The decision second half where there guy went straight through Worrall in front of the dugout, he waived play-on, the female assistant who was further away flagged for a foul, but he only bought back play when the Crawley player was flagged offside.....truly bewildering.

Which brings me into my next point. Today we also saw why women should not be involved in officiating in the men’s game. This is not a sexist remark, it is simple observation, that the lineswoman was not fit enough to keep up with the speed of the game. She was at least 5 yards behind play all the time and her first offside decision came in the 45th minute and virtually on the half way line.

I have to say I’m getting more and more disillusioned with football. Crawley took the ‘dark arts’ to a new level today, especially the guy who threw himself to the ground in a deliberate attempt to get Pope sent out. I felt semi-cheated last home game after the non-sending off for the elbow on Hannant although it didn’t affect the result. Today’s decisions did.

Do you think there's a possibility this one woman liner lacked pace/fitness, and she isn't indicative of the wider female population?

I've seen dozens of male liners slower than her. As I've mentioned before, Sian Massey was consistently ranked as one of the best officials in the Prem. Thats despite the game being played at double the speed, by faster players, and her being a woman.

Not saying she put in a great performance, but do we really have to go down such generalising and demeaning paths when we could just accept that she isn't representative of women officials?

Pope gets clattered from behind and Pope gets booked.

The Ref books one of their players and gives a throw in.

Offsides,I honestly struggle with the offside law and I think the officials do as well.

Apparently there were some contentious decisions in the Premier league this afternoon,it probably explains while no ref from the greed is good league are going to the World Cup,what an indictment of said league and the state of the officials in this country.

Also let's not be sexist and forget the lines person , she looked unfit to me and was also totally inept .

This won't go down well and I'll no doubt be called a sexist pig living in the 70's but it is an actual FACT that properly fit men are faster runners , so why is she even on the line ?

Ticks a few boxes for the PC brigade I guess

It's a while since I last saw a properly fit male liner.

State of darren1810's comments. 2 likes as well. Christ. Can't really remember her making any particularly egregious incorrect calls, care to enlighten us Darren? I'm just a part of the PC brigade though.

Thought the officiating was fairly poor today but nothing out of the ordinary particularly. Thread seems a tad hyperbolic. Wouldn't feature amongst the worst reffing performances I've seen. It was better than the Chesterfield ref.

It got the the point in the second half where the crowd was that whipped up they were contesting even the most clear cut of decisions. The whole 'Pope gets nothing' issue is because Pope gives as much as he receives; they basically foul eachother so the refs give nothing. Its happened for 10 years now, I struggle to fathom how this still confuses people.

We lost the game cus we were dog in the 2nd half.

I know Tom gives as good as he gets but he should, therefore, win as many free kicks as he concedes. You can't seriously tell me that's the case. Also, if the ref allows a player to push Pope in the back when challenging, why is Nathan Smith penalised for an innocuous coming together. Surely a ref should be consistent in his application of the laws during the 90 minutes?

I suspect refs are briefed about Pope (that he fouls all the time) which is why they ignore every foul on him. At one point today he was rugby tackled to the ground and nothing was given. That idiot who commentates on Crewe with McGarry said that Pope fouls every time so it's clearly the accepted view throughout football.

Smith's challenge was nothing compared to the assaults on Pope during every single game.

I know Tom gives as good as he gets but he should, therefore, win as many free kicks as he concedes. You can't seriously tell me that's the case. Also, if the ref allows a player to push Pope in the back when challenging, why is Nathan Smith penalised for an innocuous coming together. Surely a ref should be consistent in his application of the laws during the 90 minutes?

I think the problem refs have is in every contested header both Pope and the defender are committing a foul, so they sort of cancel each other out.

Pope is a master at making it look like he's getting fouled when in reality he's bullying his marker.

I used to subscribe to the same view as you, and then I realised that literally every referee we have treats him the same way.

Up there with the worst I've seen in 25 years as a fan. Again like the dick we had last week it was blatant bias at times.

No wonder we have none going to the world cup the standard really is a disgrace if he's in the elite group so to speak.

The excuse the 4th official gave to Aspin beggars belief. Not used to this level? It's a game of football for goodness sake!

Probably one of the worst display of officiating that sticks in my mind was the football league trophy(LDV it was then) game at Shrewsbury 2002 before they moved to the new ground at the old Gay Meadow. We lost 2-1 AET.

I've always remembered the refs name he was that biased towards Shrewsbury, Mark Cowburn literally single handedly turned that game in their favour decision after decision, a penalty which Goodlad saved, sent John Durnin off, we somehow got it to extra time which in itself was an achievement but lost. I've never forgiven him due to the stick I got after it at college!

You honestly wonder what goes through some refs minds on certain days? 'Oh I'm going to give some bent decisions today and have a laugh' I can think of no other reason why some are so poor because their decisions literally boarder on cheating! Oh well!

Archived