onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Our only hope Aspin gone

I can only imagine the frustration and fear that Aspin must be experiencing now he's realised what he's working against behind the scenes and not for one minute should any intelligent fan think that this predicament is his fault.

However, it's 2018 and we're playing Danny Pugh and Michael Tonge as holding midfielders in front of a back five at home to Newport-*******-County. I wouldn't mind so much if they actually did what they were supposed to, but seriously if that's Aspo's grand plan to keep us up then I do worry a little. Look at the Liverpool's third goal at the weekend. Robertson picks the ball up, his holding midfielder is there to receive, carry and move the ball further up the field, allowing the full back to advance into a more attcking position. He receives the ball, crosses, goal. Contrast this to Montano winning or receiving a ball on Saturday, neither Tonge or Pugh ever offered him an option to give and go, and thus he's forced to either go it alone or lump it up. The pair of them are just far, far too old to contribute to anything positive for us. We're 22nd in Division 4 and our go-to game plan is Tonge and Pugh? I want to watch young players getting better week by week and showing some initiative - we're gaining absolutely nothing by playing past it journeymen who lack the speed, skill or motivation to change anything in a positive way for us.

Oh, and play ******* Whitfield from the start, or Worrall in a more central role. Players who turn and run and shoot. If we get relegated for a second consecutive season through fear of having a go (who can forget 1 goal in the last 8 matches last season - pathetic), i'll be furious.

Rant Over.

Top post. It's as though there was an imaginary rectangle in the centre of the pitch (the sort of thing that Sky would cross hatch with their post-match graphics) that we weren't allowed to pass into.

Nothing constructive is coming from the centre of midfield. There seemed little point bringing on attacking players when there was no structure to our play further down the chain. We're going into games hoping that something will drop for us and that's usually a sign that you're bang in trouble.

Advert

Top post. It's as though there was an imaginary rectangle in the centre of the pitch (the sort of thing that Sky would cross hatch with their post-match graphics) that we weren't allowed to pass into.

Nothing constructive is coming from the centre of midfield. There seemed little point bringing on attacking players when there was no structure to our play further down the chain. We're going into games hoping that something will drop for us and that's usually a sign that you're bang in trouble.

Why isn't Rudgie picking up on this stuff?

He's out on the training pitch and there was also footage of him 'backstage' after the Luton game, shaking hands with the players as they came off the pitch. Just seems a bit odd, him having input but Aspin picking uninspiring formations and the teams giving such turgid performances.

Time Rudge picked the team and tactics!

Sent from my iPhone using the onevalefan mobile app

I can only imagine the frustration and fear that Aspin must be experiencing now he's realised what he's working against behind the scenes and not for one minute should any intelligent fan think that this predicament is his fault.

However, it's 2018 and we're playing Danny Pugh and Michael Tonge as holding midfielders in front of a back five at home to Newport-*******-County. I wouldn't mind so much if they actually did what they were supposed to, but seriously if that's Aspo's grand plan to keep us up then I do worry a little. Look at the Liverpool's third goal at the weekend. Robertson picks the ball up, his holding midfielder is there to receive, carry and move the ball further up the field, allowing the full back to advance into a more attcking position. He receives the ball, crosses, goal. Contrast this to Montano winning or receiving a ball on Saturday, neither Tonge or Pugh ever offered him an option to give and go, and thus he's forced to either go it alone or lump it up. The pair of them are just far, far too old to contribute to anything positive for us. We're 22nd in Division 4 and our go-to game plan is Tonge and Pugh? I want to watch young players getting better week by week and showing some initiative - we're gaining absolutely nothing by playing past it journeymen who lack the speed, skill or motivation to change anything in a positive way for us.

Oh, and play ******* Whitfield from the start, or Worrall in a more central role. Players who turn and run and shoot. If we get relegated for a second consecutive season through fear of having a go (who can forget 1 goal in the last 8 matches last season - pathetic), i'll be furious.

Rant Over.

I agree, Saturday was a joke. 5 Defenders and 2 holding midfielders, but Aspin has been playing this way for weeks now home and away. I can understand it more so away, I guess if its a top side like Swindon and a draw would be OK but at home to Newport! He continues to play Pope upfront on his own with little support. We started on Saturday with what I would deem 2 attacking players in Pope and Worrell. Why cant he keep things simple and play 442 and Barnett with Pope, at least give it a go, it cant get any worse! Big 2 weeks coming up now. I don't want us to get rid of Aspin but if we cant pick up a win something has to change before its too late! We cant afford to go down we would never get back.

I agree, Saturday was a joke. 5 Defenders and 2 holding midfielders, but Aspin has been playing this way for weeks now home and away. I can understand it more so away, I guess if its a top side like Swindon and a draw would be OK but at home to Newport! He continues to play Pope upfront on his own with little support. We started on Saturday with what I would deem 2 attacking players in Pope and Worrell. Why cant he keep things simple and play 442 and Barnett with Pope, at least give it a go, it cant get any worse! Big 2 weeks coming up now. I don't want us to get rid of Aspin but if we cant pick up a win something has to change before its too late! We cant afford to go down we would never get back.

Agree. We need to get wide crosses into Pope and probably Forrester to support him with Hannant behind those two. Play with width, Tonge, Harness and Worrall in midfield. Don’t just pump it to Pope he is getting battered, get up the field wide with possession and cross from the bye line. It was difficult against Newport as their style is hit it long and high plus big throw ins. We fell into their method of playing we need to play our game. Can’t believe their manager saying how good they where, our defence at least played well against those tactics. Under Graham Westley Barnet will play the same, so let’s get the ball on the floor and only play it to Pope in the box when he is facing goal.

Agree. We need to get wide crosses into Pope and probably Forrester to support him with Hannant behind those two. Play with width, Tonge, Harness and Worrall in midfield. Don’t just pump it to Pope he is getting battered, get up the field wide with possession and cross from the bye line. It was difficult against Newport as their style is hit it long and high plus big throw ins. We fell into their method of playing we need to play our game. Can’t believe their manager saying how good they where, our defence at least played well against those tactics. Under Graham Westley Barnet will play the same, so let’s get the ball on the floor and only play it to Pope in the box when he is facing goal.

So basically what your saying is we need a manager and players to change our current tactics.

:laugh: that's it, blame supporters. Who else do we know that does that?

I wouldn’t blame any supporters , as their choice is their own business, but even you must admit that we are in dire straits because of the owner. We can’t let it continue like this. Why are you defending him all the time? The whole setup is sad, with all respect to those working hard behind the scenes at the club. A proper chairman should be in his office trying to make things work , with good communication with the manager and fans, whilst also maintaining a level of privacy in his work e.g. staying off Twitter . Clean up the place , put up the flags, take charge , instead of hiding behind a puppet chairman. In other words , be a man and do the decent thing.

Sadly , that’s not the way he thinks .

He’s a long way from being a proper chairman. It’s always someone else’s fault but his. I’ve never heard Aspin say “ I’ve talked to the Chairman , and the funds are there to make 3 good signings. If you know what’s going on , and you probably know a lot more than I do, please enlighten me, because if we end up in non-league football the club will keep dropping like a rock .

Now, you can argue all you want, fair enough, but we all know that this situation is pretty damn ******* serious. That’s about as American as I can get about this . No joking.

Many now can see that whilst Neil Aspin was a true legend as a player he is a poor manager.

The dressing room is clearly gone. He continues with the “only Tom Pope is capable of scoring” mentality.

For gods sake Neil drop Pope play two wingers and two forwards.

WE ARE GOING OUT OF THE LEAGUE do you have to bore us all to death as well.

Not a panic measure but let’s just get some one in to save us quick.

How many managers walk into their first league job following two totally awful managers who between themselves signed about 50 non-league players? How many managers need to deal with blokes like Smurfwaite. Aspin got nothing that he wanted in January, his first transfer window at the club, who's that down too? Him or the owner? If the chairman won't back you up financially, what can Aspin do? In fact, I'm sure the budget was actually reduced in Jan.

As for 'drop pope' - it's pretty clear you're a WUM with the mental capacity of a 4 year old. Drop our top goal-scorer when we are bottom of the league. If you're going to post stupid things, try and at least make them funny as you come across as some desperate dan after a bit of attention! Aspins record at Vale is better than Browns and Riberios put together, which tells you everything you need to know about the last two managers!

Aspin will be a great manager. Its easy to tell when you've seen football for so many years.

I think we will stay up and Aspin will leave in the summer when our budgets being reduced even further. If he keeps us up it's a massive achievement and he'll get a decent job afterwards (Like Rob Page). If he stays to fight a losing battle, it will put his career in the gutter and it's a no-brainer what you'd do when in reality he probably isn't even on that much money.

I am staggered that some people here are slagging off Aspo. He’s Vale through and through. At the end of the game Saturday we had Pope, Barnett, Whitfield, Worrall and Harness on the field and an attacking fullback in the guise of Montano. Some of you guys presumably want Turner at centre half and Forrester as goalie. Aspo’s hands are tied with the squad he inherited and a tight fisted Chairman who gave him a farthing to play with in January. If we stay up it will be down to Aspo, if we go down the accusing finger of blame points to Coventry.

Rant Over.

Completely agree.

I am staggered that some people here are slagging off Aspo. He’s Vale through and through. At the end of the game Saturday we had Pope, Barnett, Whitfield, Worrall and Harness on the field and an attacking fullback in the guise of Montano. Some of you guys presumably want Turner at centre half and Forrester as goalie. Aspo’s hands are tied with the squad he inherited and a tight fisted Chairman who gave him a farthing to play with in January. If we stay up it will be down to Aspo, if we go down the accusing finger of blame points to Coventry.

But who signed Regis,Angus,Wilson,Howe,Jules,Raglan and Howkins?...I'm fully behind Aspo but his signings have been questionable.we even bought Howe!

Archived