onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Brexit again...

Davebrad

The Brexit lot will just say "Do labour have a money tree?!" etc etc! Without realising if you improve facilities, offer better services etc then perhaps more people use them rather than getting a foriegn made car on finance to get around and what not.

This article exemplifies the reasons the UK is so divided and lost its national culture.

Advert

We're the 6th biggest economy in the world and the Germans especially would be gutted if they lost our market. Look at the ads on TV for German goods, Mercedes, VW, (incl Seat, Skoda etc), Adidas, Miele, even those Harrys razor blades and Alpecin shampoo, not forgetting Lidl, Aldi and plenty more. The French also are bombarding our TV screens with ads for Citreon, Peugeot etc. What if instead we started inporting more cars from India, China the USA and goods from Brazil, Australia and Russia and of course we exported likewise to them in return. Do you not think the Germans and French haven't already thought about this and are playing a very dangerous game? Call their bluff Mrs May,because that's what it is, bluff.

I've been over this.

87% of cars are bought on finance in the UK. I was in Frankfurt at Mercedes and Audi in 2016 after the Referendum and the people I met there found this incredible, that we have such a buy now pay later culture.

It's finance companies buying the cars and leasing them to customers. Any higher costs associated with Brexit for the cars will simply mean that people who takes a £25,000 over 3 years (for example) option will have to pay more like £27,000 over three years, or maybe even more over a longer period of time. Same with Lidl or Aldi, they're already undercutting their competitors so a slight increase will still see them positioning where they want to be in the UK market.

Okay mate, go buy a car from Brazil or the US and import it here... You must be richer than the rest of us 😂

You're showing your true colours there, a childish patriotic stance in the false belief Britain is somehow superior to other countries. It wasn't you on the radio a few months ago, was it, ringing in to suggest we should send the RAF to attack Russia? When England are playing on Wednesday will you be with your mates belting out those old bigot's favourites, 10 German Bombers and 2 World Wars & 1 World Cup?

Yes, we are Great Britain, as in the greater land mass than the individual UK countries, it does not mean we are great in some intangible measure of superior ability. When people from other nations spout their arrogant belief in their superiority how does it make other peoples feel? Nauseous is the answer.

Theres a good programme on TV at the moment, 100 years of the RAF and a fly past that includes a Spitfire, the plane you often mention. Currently an ex pilot is telling us how the Berlin airlift saved the population from starvation. The Berlin population that is, Berlin as in Germany. Another explained what is was like fighting in the Battle of Britan and how close we came to defeat. It's quite interesting and there's no mention of superior ability or arrogant belief, it's just facts.

Ah! The need to get as far away as possible from the poisoned chalice.
In most respects Barry.... we have political suicide built into the leave campaign and the remain campaign....

I don't think there has been a political party that hasn't damaged the economy since voting began.

Labour has a disastrous record on the economy... the Tories are no better, except for the stupid comment "We never had it so good" so we either leave and damage the economy or stay and choose a party to damage the economy to be replaced with the opposition who will damage the economy.

Labour's core vote seemed to want to leave so it's going to be almost impossible to convince them that Labour respects them when they/we stay in/rejoin... the Tories are making such a hash of leaving it will be impossible to convince the electorate they should negotiate anything.

People voted on one simple question.... stay or leave.... nothing else.... Everything else is just a consequence of that decision.

None of the original referendum voters actually voted for the European state that has developed and we grew into.... this mess wasn't created by the voters, they made a decision based on what they thought was the right thing to do given the circumstances and the question asked.... neither side made even a half decent job of informing or engaging, and no matter how the vote ended it would split the country into two factions..... not the best basis to build.

I've been over this.

87% of cars are bought on finance in the UK. I was in Frankfurt at Mercedes and Audi in 2016 after the Referendum and the people I met there found this incredible, that we have such a buy now pay later culture.

It's finance companies buying the cars and leasing them to customers. Any higher costs associated with Brexit for the cars will simply mean that people who takes a £25,000 over 3 years (for example) option will have to pay more like £27,000 over three years, or maybe even more over a longer period of time. Same with Lidl or Aldi, they're already undercutting their competitors so a slight increase will still see them positioning where they want to be in the UK market.

Okay mate, go buy a car from Brazil or the US and import it here... You must be richer than the rest of us

I could be richer, I just don't know.

However if we can negotiate our own trade deals with say, Brazil and USA, their cars could indeed be cheaper than EU made cars.

JCB-50m new factory- 200 new jobs-Unprecendented GLOBAL,yes,GLOBAL demand.Damn Brexit!!!!If people are scared of losing business , look no further than yourself and get off your arse and do something about it.
What planet do you live on? JCB has always traded globally, it's grown during our membership of the EU so that membership has been of no detriment whatsoever, just the opposite in fact as they have had a home market of some 500m people in the EU. Post Brexit that home market will be 65m, hardly progress. Still, Mr. Toad is a vocal Brexiteer so he'll get what he's asked for.

These days my business is domestic so my obvious concern is a downturn in our economy that will reduce my customer base but my biggest concern is that most of us will have a lower standard of living. Personally I'll probably be ok but that's of no benefit to anyone else, especially the young.

I'm not selfish, I've done well whilst we've been in the EU and I want future generations to enjoy the same benefits.

Theres a good programme on TV at the moment, 100 years of the RAF and a fly past that includes a Spitfire, the plane you often mention. Currently an ex pilot is telling us how the Berlin airlift saved the population from starvation. The Berlin population that is, Berlin as in Germany. Another explained what is was like fighting in the Battle of Britan and how close we came to defeat. It's quite interesting and there's no mention of superior ability or arrogant belief, it's just facts.
And why is any of that a reason to leave the EU? Those events were 70-80 years ago.

I could be richer, I just don't know.

However if we can negotiate our own trade deals with say, Brazil and USA, their cars could indeed be cheaper than EU made cars.

If US cars are so cheap how come they drive so many imported cars, many more than ever before? Also, Brazil & Mexico are big manufacturing bases for external companies such as VW & GM, like us they don't have an indigenous car industry. The global car industry largely manufactures in its end markets, hence Toyota, Honda and Nissan in the UK supplying the EU using many UK made parts. All this will move to the EU mainland if a no deal Brexit goes ahead.

If you wish to import goods you need to be able to pay for them, ask poor Africans.

If US cars are so cheap how come they drive so many imported cars, many more than ever before? Also, Brazil & Mexico are big manufacturing bases for external companies such as VW & GM, like us they don't have an indigenous car industry. The global car industry largely manufactures in its end markets, hence Toyota, Honda and Nissan in the UK supplying the EU using many UK made parts. All this will move to the EU mainland if a no deal Brexit goes ahead.

If you wish to import goods you need to be able to pay for them, ask poor Africans.

A great many BMWs are now built in China.Germany looking after themselves.Shocking.

I’ll spell it out numbnuts.All those countries you and I have quoted are not in the EU.Do you not think we could expand on our terms and not under EU restrictions with those countries.You sourcey must run your business from a cave.

Archived