onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Embarrassing

butt lane vale fan

Advert

It is a tough debate, I mean we have got David Worrall off Millwall who was still under contract at the time and was at a Championship club. We must have offered something good to encourage him to leave that for us and I doubt it was a pay cut.

Lawrie Wilson was also on good money for Bolton and despite his dire efforts, had League 1 clubs interested in the summer, but he signed for us.

When we left League 1 we did get the likes of Eagles and Taylor to sign. We must have tempted them with something back then as they were on massive premier league wages only 18 months or so prior.

It does seem to have dried up though.

Guest TommyMac
How could they get beat when the have the Irish equivalent of Paulo Maldini?!?

Sent from my iPhone using the onevalefan mobile app

You've shown you can read, sadly you've also shown you don't have the intelligence to comprehend.

My point is, is that with Norman, we will never be a sustainable club in the long term.

He doesn't know what he's doing. How to attract fans, how to talk to his existing fanbase, how to build a buzz, PR, basics of football ownership.

As long as he's here, we're never going to be a sustainable club. The only time Norm can help us is by lobbing a few quid at us, like he did with Hughes, Purse, and Jones in the 12/13.

If he isn't willing to do that (despite his pledges), then we're in deep deep trouble.

Im no fan of Norman but peoples moans and groans (not picking on you Hagrid always seems to be a reply to you but im talking generally here) against their expectations just don't marry up at all. On one hand fans are asking the owner to throw money at the club and dig deep and in the same conversation talking about sustainability. Unfortunately due to his own mistakes with Bruno and Brown its not currently possible to be setup sustainably until we really trim the squad. I genuinely think under Aspin and Rudge serious long term sustainability is possible but that cant be done by throwing 3 high earners into the squad for a few months and hope we stay up.

We need to get this season over, stay up and plan for next year. A clear out of the squad is needed to make the club sustainable and give Aspin the ability to genuinely invest money wisely having spent 6 months watching players not panic and sign 15 players in two weeks during the friendlies.

Love him or hate him Norman doesnt have millions to pump into the club so we shouldnt expect that, bring in another owner who may well be more likeable but its very possible the wont have anymore money to spend than he does. The only way to make the Vale sustainable is to spend money wisely and to cut cloth accordingly

Well,well,well.We’ve lost a few games and Smurth hasn’t wacked in another couple of million.

You really couldn’t wait.

As I’ve said before,”Get your dosh out,and lend the Vale 3m+”

We can then all slag the new owner off.But of course it won’t be a loan ,the new owner wiil be giving the money away as all Vale owners in the past have done.I love that ,”I personally don’t dislike the owner I just intensely dislike his manner”.:laugh:F*S give it a rest.

Well,well,well.We’ve lost a few games and Smurth hasn’t wacked in another couple of million.

We can then all slag the new owner off.But of course it won’t be a loan ,the new owner wiil be giving the money away as all Vale owners in the past have done.I love that ,”I personally don’t dislike the owner I just intensely dislike his manner”.:laugh:F*S give it a rest.

It would be hilarious, if Smurf hadn't promised us, word for word, exactly what you've just derided.

http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/talking-points-norman-smurthwaite-vows-501418

"The club will not leave League Two, and whatever it takes to ensure that happens, whatever the costs are, that will be me executing it. But it won’t be labelling the club with any more debt than what currently exists.”

I don't think its that unfair or unrealistic to hold a chairman to words he stated in the media?

You look a bit silly now mate.

With regard to sustainability, there has to be a point where throwing money at a relegation battle costs less in the long run.

Does he fancy funding a promotion push from the Conference instead?

Spot on. Sick of people bleating on about this 'sustainable business model', as if:

1. Smurf isn't completely incompetent

2. The sustainable model he followed in previous season went so brilliantly and we aren't 18th in League 2

3. He hadn't promised us investment that wouldn't add to the debt.

4. The restrictions we have imposed on us on down to his mistakes leading to a reduced revenue for the club.

It would be hilarious, if Smurf hadn't promised us, word for word, exactly what you've just derided.

http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/talking-points-norman-smurthwaite-vows-501418

"The club will not leave League Two, and whatever it takes to ensure that happens, whatever the costs are, that will be me executing it. But it won’t be labelling the club with any more debt than what currently exists.”

I don't think its that unfair or unrealistic to hold a chairman to words he stated in the media?

You look a bit silly now mate.

And you know he hasn’t made funds available?And others know exactly what salaries the players are on.Please show evidence and figures please.Cheers.

Im no fan of Norman but peoples moans and groans (not picking on you Hagrid always seems to be a reply to you but im talking generally here) against their expectations just don't marry up at all. On one hand fans are asking the owner to throw money at the club and dig deep and in the same conversation talking about sustainability. Unfortunately due to his own mistakes with Bruno and Brown its not currently possible to be setup sustainably until we really trim the squad. I genuinely think under Aspin and Rudge serious long term sustainability is possible but that cant be done by throwing 3 high earners into the squad for a few months and hope we stay up.

We need to get this season over, stay up and plan for next year. A clear out of the squad is needed to make the club sustainable and give Aspin the ability to genuinely invest money wisely having spent 6 months watching players not panic and sign 15 players in two weeks during the friendlies.

Love him or hate him Norman doesnt have millions to pump into the club so we shouldnt expect that, bring in another owner who may well be more likeable but its very possible the wont have anymore money to spend than he does. The only way to make the Vale sustainable is to spend money wisely and to cut cloth accordingly

We're not asking him to pump millions in. We're asking him to be more competitive than teams on a lower turnover than us.

As a football club we owe Norman £4m+ now. And we are way way way way worse off than when he bought us. How on Earth do you spend £4m on a League Two club and make them worse?

The whole club is a shambles. Right from our horrendous transfer policy every season, the constant 6 month loans and 6 month contracts right through to customer retention and match day experience.

I've had a season ticket at Vale for 17 years (out of blind faith for the club) but I became so sick of the way the club is being run I didn't have one this season. Not one person at the club has written to me or called me to ask why or to try and persuade me to come back! Norman doesn't care. We aren't even trying to compete, we're just plodding along waiting to be relegated.

Just picking up on what you said, it's a never ending spiral... to improve our club means getting better players, to get them we must first offer them a good deal, which must mean money, to get money we've got to play well, and win to attract more season ticket sales and grab the passing trade, to win and play well we need better quality players etc!!!

So to start the cycle we need money, so that's where a board or owner if they want success steps up and puts money on the table for his manager to work his magic...

Where are you Bill and your tin box...

We're not asking him to pump millions in. We're asking him to be more competitive than teams on a lower turnover than us.

As a football club we owe Norman £4m+ now. And we are way way way way worse off than when he bought us. How on Earth do you spend £4m on a League Two club and make them worse?

The whole club is a shambles. Right from our horrendous transfer policy every season, the constant 6 month loans and 6 month contracts right through to customer retention and match day experience.

I've had a season ticket at Vale for 17 years (out of blind faith for the club) but I became so sick of the way the club is being run I didn't have one this season. Not one person at the club has written to me or called me to ask why or to try and persuade me to come back! Norman doesn't care. We aren't even trying to compete, we're just plodding along waiting to be relegated.

Simply put its very likely we already have been far more competitive than teams on a lower income than us, we have squad which at one point had over 30 pros in it. Most clubs we are competing with have 18-20. So for us to further extend our budget is a lot harder compared to some the teams around us because we are probably already overspending 6-10k per month before making signings. FGR easy for them to overspend their budget by 1k per month to bring in another player, for us we would be pushing ours to maybe 11k overspend.

Brown, Garlick and Smurf responsible obviously but we have to be realistic about the situation we are in

Simply put its very likely we already have been far more competitive than teams on a lower income than us, we have squad which at one point had over 30 pros in it. Most clubs we are competing with have 18-20. So for us to further extend our budget is a lot harder compared to some the teams around us because we are probably already overspending 6-10k per month before making signings. FGR easy for them to overspend their budget by 1k per month to bring in another player, for us we would be pushing ours to maybe 11k overspend.

Brown, Garlick and Smurf responsible obviously but we have to be realistic about the situation we are in

Looks like we are knackered then, we urgently need a firebreak

a line drawing under the past few years and start again - surely it would only be to the end of the season anyway as all the bad outlay will be off the books then- 4 months to cover & that's it short term pain long term gain otherwise the tailspin we are in will just snowball further

I suspect FGR's budget is something of a moveable feast. They spend whatever they want and the owner just gives them more money. The club is a subsidiary of his main business so I suspect he just writes of the losses for tax purposes.

So you are seriously saying that Accrington, Stevenage, Crawley, Cheltenham, Newport, Exeter, Wycombe all have a higher turnover than us? On their gates?

You are correct with regards to the bloated squad, but is this the 3rd season now that Norman has stressed "quality over quantity" then signed off the complete opposite? Whatever league we are in, this summer will be the 4th rebuild of a squad in the last few years. The running of the club is a shambles.

This could easily be rectified with 4-5 good signings before February but I've been a Vale fan long enough to know that isn't going to happen.

Archived