onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Embarrassing

butt lane vale fan

Advert

And why is it embarrassing that we didnt compete with a chairman who is worth over £100 million? When you see how much they were paying Lee hughes as a non league side then its telling how much they have been bankrolled. Their attendances are irrelevant.

I would prefer to keep a decent player who contributes than 3 who don't its about quality and our better players all seem to leave, perhaps we need to go down to be able to compete in the football world - I

Do we just accept our fate or do everything we can and maximise all areas to give us a fighting chance-

edit - I wonder how much the club is now worth compared to the beginning of the season ,certainly cant be more

Norman said he would cover the failed business plan - unfortunately its just been shifted onto aspin --we need a firebreak a cut off a fresh start whether that be with a new owner or the current one the ship is letting in water and closing doors is only slowing this as the leak still remains

When aspin came most agreed safety was a succesful measure of success this season. We win a few and now it seems a play off push is required. With the squad we have we are going to have spells like this.

I don’t think it’s about a play off push at all, it’s about making sure there’s enough in the bank to make sure we don’t get sucked back into a relegation battle. Some departments are paper thin, others are non existent.

I would prefer to keep a decent player who contributes than 3 who don't its about quality and our better players all seem to leave, perhaps we need to go down to be able to compete in the football world - I

Do we just accept our fate or do everything we can and maximise all areas to give us a fighting chance-

Of course, but this idea that we would have carried on with last months form if we had gunning is daft, as is the idea we should break our wage structure and give longer contracts that we want to for him. Its madness. We have one aim this season, survive. Due to the damage the last two managers did. Then see what summer brings.

Of course, but this idea that we would have carried on with last months form if we had gunning is daft, as is the idea we should break our wage structure and give longer contracts that we want to for him. Its madness. We have one aim this season, survive. Due to the damage the last two managers did. Then see what summer brings.

It all depends if an unrealistic wage cap is still in place , the same problems will exist--we need to start thinking about now not about 6 months next year etc,,the offering at the moment is a really bad product yet before xmas we had a feel good factor , I appreciate and understand its never going to be a straight line but we are worse off now than before xmas and the trend is firmly on a downward curve..

When neil needs to freshen things up he risks losing or playing a formation not suitable to the players he has ...god forbid we get any key injuries we will be up the creek without a paddle..

Hopefully we can scrape some wins and aim for mid table obscurity

How many did we lose when he was in the side?
Under Aspin or Brown?

Still haven't won a game since he left though or kept a clean sheet have we?

Obviously was a key component after all. Apart from Gibbons we have a very quiet back line. No one organises like Gunning used to, hence all the goals we keep conceding.

Sent from my [device_name] using the http://onevalefan mobile app

In my view, its great that we 'lived within our means' on the countless occasions some urged Smurf to invest in the squad so we could have a tilt at the League 1 playoffs (1 season back when we finished 9th, Page's full season when we finished 12th).

I mean, look at how well that went? We lived within our means, built a sustainable base, and now we're back where we started with an atrocious squad and unable to afford any player who's played a football league game.

Yep, we should definitely proceed with a business plan with such an excellent track record.

The best way to progress whilst living within our means is to increase the means. We need a proper commercial department, not one bloke on a phone. We need a proper season ticket push, not a few A4 adverts around the ground. We need people to bang the drum for the club and raise its profile instead of sitting back and expecting fans/sponsors to turn up. It's not easy with a Prem team down the road but how much effort are we actually making?

The best way to progress whilst living within our means is to increase the means. We need a proper commercial department, not one bloke on a phone. We need a proper season ticket push, not a few A4 adverts around the ground. We need people to bang the drum for the club and raise its profile instead of sitting back and expecting fans/sponsors to turn up. It's not easy with a Prem team down the road but how much effort are we actually making?

This is true and agree but on the playing side we need to keep whats good get rid of whats not , yet we continually do the opposite for eg jules or gunning.. it is a double edge sword the offering on the pitch needs to improve to attract more money either sponsorship/support also the offering off the pitch has to match this and needs to improve..

Norman needs to let neil sign quality even if its above a wage ceiling no probs if its at the expense of a reduced squad, more so in the short term to get us out of the rut and get the ball rolling ,,it might mean though norman taking a short term hit

Under Aspin or Brown?

Obviously was a key component after all. Apart from Gibbons we have a very quiet back line. No one organises like Gunning used to, hence all the goals we keep conceding.

If he was a key component, how come we kept a clean sheet and scored three goals against Luton in the 35 mins after he'd gone off? How come we let in four against Mansfield when he played? How come we were holding Lincoln before he sliced his clearance for their second goal? How come we kept a clean sheet for virtually the whole game against Notts before that soft penalty? You are basing his "key defender" role on the fact that he played during our successful December and forgetting his performances earlier in the season.

Gunning was a decent League 2 defender. That's all. If a mistake was made it was not offering a new contract sooner but have a look at his record and how long he stays at clubs. Grimsby got him because he went for the money instead of staying at a higher level in Scotland. We got because Grimsby didn't think he was good enough and he came on a poor wage because no one else wanted him. FGR have got him because he's followed daft money again. He's got gypsy blood in him and moves regularly. We would have had to pay more than he's actually worth to keep him and I don't think it would have made sense to do that.

Under Aspin or Brown?

He didnt do any of that! Noticed FGR lost again....

If he was a key component, how come we kept a clean sheet and scored three goals against Luton in the 35 mins after he'd gone off? How come we let in four against Mansfield when he played? How come we were holding Lincoln before he sliced his clearance for their second goal? How come we kept a clean sheet for virtually the whole game against Notts before that soft penalty? You are basing his "key defender" role on the fact that he played during our successful December and forgetting his performances earlier in the season.

Gunning was a decent League 2 defender. That's all. If a mistake was made it was not offering a new contract sooner but have a look at his record and how long he stays at clubs. Grimsby got him because he went for the money instead of staying at a higher level in Scotland. We got because Grimsby didn't think he was good enough and he came on a poor wage because no one else wanted him. FGR have got him because he's followed daft money again. He's got gypsy blood in him and moves regularly. We would have had to pay more than he's actually worth to keep him and I don't think it would have made sense to do that.

not sure what he was on with us , what we offered him and what fgr offered him...thought it was more to do with the term as much as the £s but I'm only going off heresay...

One thing for sure he covered 2 playing positions and knew what was needed, now we have got to rely on a young lad coming back from injury and trying to find his feet at this level...wouldn't be a problem if we replaced like for like but we haven't

really feel for aspin it must be like a boxer getting punched from his own corner and still having to perform

I agree we will have spells both good n bad, but usually you can look through a season and see turning points,, brown going , aspin rudge signing and now gunning/denton going has changed the dynamics of a settled team where we were keeping clean sheets and winning games --

aspin is trying to build a sandcastle with one hand tied behind his back whilst the tide is coming in .

That's how I see it. It wasn't that Gunning was Stuart Pearce or Roberto Carlos, far from it, but it was the manner and timing of his departure that mattered and, more importantly, the message it sent to the squad. Gunning was an integral part of a team that had seen its confidence return and results dramatically improve with the changes Aspo made. Then suddenly he was gone to one of our relegation rivals. How do we think that was received in the changing room?

It was galling to say the least when Garlick said he didn't want to break the club's pay structure. So what? Does the club want to survive or not? How much does the owner and his CEO want us to survive as a league club? This is where you have to spend money - when you're in a situation that threatens your very survival. Maybe those improved results made Norman and Garlick think it didn't matter, that the new manager can easily sort it. Well, so far it hasn't gone too well, has it?

I just hope that Gunning's departure doesn't mark the kind of watershed we don't want to see. Last season our decline into relegation was marked by two factors: (i) the loss of key players and (ii) the failure to adequately replace them. Is history repeating itself? Only time will tell.

Certainly what we have at the moment is a more unbalanced and weaker squad (and I include the unfortunate loss of the left-sided Denton in this) where Aspo is clearly struggling to restore confidence and achieve a balanced side (a job that he's already done once this season).

Well, sorry everyone, rant over! But I'm fed up of seeing us take two steps forward only to take three back when it comes to the strategic decision of how much money we need to spend to keep our league status. I'm just hoping it improves this week.

that's how i see it. It wasn't that gunning was stuart pearce or roberto carlos, far from it, but it was the manner and timing of his departure that mattered and, more importantly, the message it sent to the squad. Gunning was an integral part of a team that had seen its confidence return and results dramatically improve with the changes aspo made. Then suddenly he was gone to one of our relegation rivals. How do we think that was received in the changing room?

It was galling to say the least when garlick said he didn't want to break the club's pay structure. So what? Does the club want to survive or not? How much does the owner and his ceo want us to survive as a league club? This is where you have to spend money - when you're in a situation that threatens your very survival. Maybe those improved results made norman and garlick think it didn't matter, that the new manager can easily sort it. Well, so far it hasn't gone too well, has it?

I just hope that gunning's departure doesn't mark the kind of watershed we don't want to see. Last season our decline into relegation was marked by two factors: (i) the loss of key players and (ii) the failure to adequately replace them. Is history repeating itself? Only time will tell.

Certainly what we have at the moment is a more unbalanced and weaker squad (and i include the unfortunate loss of the left-sided denton in this) where aspo is clearly struggling to restore confidence and achieve a balanced side (a job that he's already done once this season).

Well, sorry everyone, rant over! But i'm fed up of seeing us take two steps forward only to take three back when it comes to the strategic decision of how much money we need to spend to keep our league status. I'm just hoping it improves this week.

bang on-

It was my Grimsby mate who warned me off Gunning and when he got sent off during his second game I thought he was right. Having said that Mad Gav became a key part of our defence and I believe we were better at the back when he played. Also he gave us bite that our too nice defence lacked. Felt he was a player in the mould of Aspin. More importantly listen to Aspins interview when he announces Gav has left the club, the disappointment can be heard in his voice and that speaks volumes more than what I think.

Archived