onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Embarrassing

butt lane vale fan

Advert

Worked really well for Stockport, Chester, Hereford, Torquay, Hartlepool, Leyton Orient and a host of others..... money doesn’t always equal results. I may be wrong but I think Leyton Orient were in the top 10 richest clubs outside the prem based on their owners wealth....and went down to non league the same season.

What we need is continuity in the boardroom, managers office and a plan which improves the club consistently over time on and off the field. Throwing money at a problem and hoping the gamble pays off can waste money and bankrupt clubs and owners

Sent from my iPhone using the onevalefan mobile app

But a lack of money and investment in a football team usually leads to a struggling team, hasn't that been evident the last two seasons.

Vale do need continuity but the absolute top priority this season is to stay in the Football League and whatever it takes to do that has to be done.

It's a bigger gamble bringing in players with no football league experience into a relegation struggle such as the one Vale are in.

I think a lot of people are missing the point here. Losing Gunning isn't the issue for me, it's the depths that we've sunken to under Smurthwaite. Forest Green can beat us to players financially. I've seen responses re the wage structure. Do we know what that structure is or are we making assumptions? If it's assumption, here's mine, based on the squads assembled by 4 managers appointed by Smurf since he took over. The structure restricts the level of quality we can attract to the club. Successive huge squads devoid of real quality prove that. Page, Bruno, Brown and to a lesser extent Aspin, have all had to work with a huge turnover of players lacking the quality we so desperately need. Smurf is so desperate to find a bargain, and so reluctant to pay the going rate, that consecutive managers have had to work off scraps. If my assumption is wrong then the problem is potentially even worse. If we have the money to compete and Smurf IS willing to pay, why can't we attract quality to the club. It's no secret that Smurf has built up a terrible reputation throughout footballing circles, so it's becoming blatantly obvious for anyone prepared to accept what's staring them in the face...whilst Smurf remains in control of the club, we'll continue to decline. In Aspin we have a great Manager. I really believe that. If he had the full backing he needs, no hands tied behind his back, then we stand a really good chance of success over the next few years. Smurf still has the chance to lead us that way, but when was the last time we had a successful transfer window? It's really hard to have faith in the bloke after all of the mistakes he's made to date. He simply doesn't learn, and the effect is clear for all to see. We're where we are because of him, and I just can't see him turning things around any time soon. I just don't think there's enough going on upstairs unfortunately.

Sent from my [device_name] using the http://onevalefan mobile app

This isn't really about Gavin Gunning though is it? If Aspin had been given the go ahead to sign an adequate replacement no one on here would be moaning.

The fact is up until today we have signed a couple of long term chancers and nothing much else. The fact that the manager was disappointed to lose Gunning highlights that the owner has failed to keep his word once again!

Your demands/requests.

Aspo to be given a longer contract.Delivered.

Whitfield to be signed up.Delivered.

Sign Gunning.A tool who wanted too much.

As Meatloaf said “Two out of three ain’t bad.”

They weren't first team regulars.

Gunning was a key component in our side and I feel we are missing someone like him. He was a vocal leader.

Mcgiverns last season with us, the season before we got relegated, the only centre half to play more than him was Duffy. Colin Daniel played the same amount of league games. 9 players played more games than Mcgivern. Id count that as a first team regular.

It blows my mind why people think we should break our wage structure for gunning.

When aspin came most agreed safety was a succesful measure of success this season. We win a few and now it seems a play off push is required. With the squad we have we are going to have spells like this.

Mcgiverns last season with us, the season before we got relegated, the only centre half to play more than him was Duffy. Colin Daniel played the same amount of league games. 9 players played more games than Mcgivern. Id count that as a first team regular.

It blows my mind why people think we should break our wage structure for gunning.

When aspin came most agreed safety was a succesful measure of success this season. We win a few and now it seems a play off push is required. With the squad we have we are going to have spells like this.

I agree we will have spells both good n bad, but usually you can look through a season and see turning points,, brown going , aspin rudge signing and now gunning/denton going has changed the dynamics of a settled team where we were keeping clean sheets and winning games --

aspin is trying to build a sandcastle with one hand tied behind his back whilst the tide is coming in .

We should not put PVFC at risk for any player but what levels & why are we working at these especially if the budget is below the average when we are an above average supported team in this league.

The amount of empty advertising boards around the ground, no sponsor on the bycars , no advertising on the interview board where aspins gives his analysis plus I'm sure many other missed opportunities may mean we have less to spend than others.

For instance notts county next week are offering 2 for crewe game where it is £2 to get in said on tv they have sold 14000, they also have 10 different shirt sponsors 1 a month through out the season all snapped up in a 3 month push - the idea being its easier to get 10 small amounts of money than one large corporate deal bit will also gross more from the 10- the supporters have the choice of which sponsor they would like when buying their shirt---all good income initiatives all helping to increase their budget---gunning shows we have nothing and show an intent of where we are at, if we had a right push back end of the season this would help to sell more season tickets if we just hang on and scrape the odd win or go down we will shift less further reducing the budget

the cycle has to end somewhere

I have been saying for a few years we lack players of steel and determination like Aspo and Porter as player. It seems that Gav was that type of player so disappointing to loose him ! Just hope we can find a replacement. It would be deeply worrying if Surf it going against advice from Aspo and JR. we really need to get in some quality! . What we have if they all play at 100% then we will be ok anything less then we ate in trouble.

In my view, its great that we 'lived within our means' on the countless occasions some urged Smurf to invest in the squad so we could have a tilt at the League 1 playoffs (1 season back when we finished 9th, Page's full season when we finished 12th).

I mean, look at how well that went? We lived within our means, built a sustainable base, and now we're back where we started with an atrocious squad and unable to afford any player who's played a football league game.

Yep, we should definitely proceed with a business plan with such an excellent track record.

Archived