onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Ben Whitfield

melv

This is when push comes to shove: when the manager wants to keep a player and is dependent on the owner for support.

It's clear that Lincoln have plenty of cash after their cup run and Shrewsbury can, of course, offer the potential of championship football next season. But if the player wants to stay and it's a question of money, then it's down to the owner to come good on his promises.

We need Whitfield to stay; so, the simple question is: will Norman support the manager's judgement?

Advert

This is when push comes to shove: when the manager wants to keep a player and is dependent on the owner for support.

It's clear that Lincoln have plenty of cash after their cup run and Shrewsbury can, of course, offer the potential of championship football next season. But if the player wants to stay and it's a question of money, then it's down to the owner to come good on his promises.

We need Whitfield to stay; so, the simple question is: will Norman support the manager's judgement?

When push comes to shove, what should happen is that the manager is given a defined budget of how much the owner is prepared to give him to spend in a defined period of time. The manager then observes those limits and spends it as he sees fit. Aspin values GG at “x” some other manager and club will value him at “y” where y>x. Aspin feels he can get better value than GG for “y” within the budget he was given initially. None of it proves anyone is undervaluing GG or that money promised to Aspin is being withheld. This is all the stuff that forums are made of but a thread full of conjecture, including my own post, not really referenced to any facts we have or should have access to.

Thought we were trying to improve the team.

We are but Shrewsbury will offer a good transfer fee and more importantly a big sell on clause.

With Whitfield then in the championship next year at worst gets him in the shop window. Furthers his career Saints get a big sell on win/win.

Dodds will come back for sure.

He will help us stay up. We must then re group in the summer.

That’s the loan system for you

We are but Shrewsbury will offer a good transfer fee and more importantly a big sell on clause.

With Whitfield then in the championship next year at worst gets him in the shop window. Furthers his career Saints get a big sell on win/win.

Saints will get naff all

Depends if they can afford enough for the Cherries to let him go.

The only reason Lincoln are getting bigger gates is because they sold 150 quid season tickets on the back of promotion and the cup run. Fair play to them they have used the momentum well but they are far from a bigger club than us.

Sent from my [device_name] using the http://onevalefan mobile app

Wrong:

https://www.redimps.co.uk/tickets/season-tickets/

Thought Whitfield is on loan from Bournemouth?

Lincoln had a season like we did in 1954 (didn’t we get about 20000 around that time!) waltz to promotion and a magical cup run and they’ve kept the clinger ons.

I noticed they had a fans zone with bars and stalls up before our game there etc so appealing to their families.

I dare say their crowds will dwindle again once it all settles down if they fail to go up and then stabilise in their natural mid table league two position they often occupied pre relegation but shows what a successful season can do if you push on off the field from that, not that I want us to ever have to win the National League mind!

Had we done something similar to the target 5000 season tickets on the back off our last promotion imagine what we may have pulled in?

Lincoln had a season like we did in 1954 (didn’t we get about 20000 around that time!) waltz to promotion and a magical cup run and they’ve kept the clinger ons.

I noticed they had a fans zone with bars and stalls up before our game there etc so appealing to their families.

I dare say their crowds will dwindle again once it all settles down if they fail to go up and then stabilise in their natural mid table league two position they often occupied pre relegation but shows what a successful season can do if you push on off the field from that, not that I want us to ever have to win the National League mind!

Had we done something similar to the target 5000 season tickets on the back off our last promotion imagine what we may have pulled in?

We did tend to get higher crowds than Lincoln during the 50s when we were both in what is now the Championship.

When push comes to shove, what should happen is that the manager is given a defined budget of how much the owner is prepared to give him to spend in a defined period of time. The manager then observes those limits and spends it as he sees fit. Aspin values GG at “x” some other manager and club will value him at “y” where y>x. Aspin feels he can get better value than GG for “y” within the budget he was given initially. None of it proves anyone is undervaluing GG or that money promised to Aspin is being withheld. This is all the stuff that forums are made of but a thread full of conjecture, including my own post, not really referenced to any facts we have or should have access to.

I would agree that in normal circumstances a manager should be expected to live within the budget given to him by the owners. This is perfectly reasonable, particularly where, in pre-season, the owner and manager have had time to plan, prepare (including identifying transfer targets) and agree on the goals for the season.

However, we are not in normal circumstances: we're in a situation where we're having to fight to ensure our very survival in the football league, thanks to the decisions taken over the last two seasons, for which Norman has apologised. As if this weren't bad enough, Aspin has had to take over when the club is facing a second successive relegation and having largely to rely on a squad put together by a previous manager whose win ratio was the second worst since such records began. These are exceptional circumstances.

In such circumstances, I think it's a reasonable expectation that Norman, as he has promised, supports the manager in order to ensure we survive and to support him beyond the planned budget if required. We have already seen the impact of a poor transfer window where we lost two of our best players and a repeat of that might prove equally disastrous.

There's nothing conjectural about this: simply the statement of a reasonable expectation and a legitimate question as to whether the funding required to keep Ben Whitfield at the club would be forthcoming in circumstances where the player wanted to stay.

Do we know for certain he wants to stay? You can't go by interviews, as Gunning sounded like he had found the love of his life in Vale, in his post match interview after Coventry, I think it was.

If the Cherries are to let him go in May, they really can't be all that bothered were he plays in the spring?

I would think, that unless they are going to give him a go next season, they would let him have some sort of influence on where he wants to play? Lincoln or Vale, whats the difference for them, League wise? Shrews could be a problem though...

Archived