onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Luton Town

Fosse69

Advert

All credit to Nathan Jones (Luton Manager) in his post match interview saying how good Vale were today and also I praising the job that Aspo’s doing at VP.

It’s not often that you hear an opposition manager speak so highly of Vale!

http://www.hattersnews.co.uk/LTFC.php?ID=11572

Not sure about that. We can stand up better on our ***** pitch? I'm not buying that. All the rest is bob on, we were better and we could have scored 8. Ref was pretty garbage too, let them off the hook a number of times.......still:drool:

What a performance, did Lutons hot shots have a shot target? They were terrified by Pope who was magnificent with Whitfield and Harness chasing his flick ons. The team as a whole worked so hard and Luton just couldn't get a foothold in the game and their free scoring forwards never got a sniff. 10 out of 10 for all the players today and 11 for Mr Aspin.

Just the 1 I recall but how can you expect them to play on such an awful pitch:huh: Speedy:hello:

If Carlsberg did Saturdays.......

Could have easily been 7 or 8. Every Vale player excelled today, brilliant team performance, we totally dominated. What a fantastic month for the club and a wonderful end to a really miserable footballing year. Onwards and upwards.

Belief is such a small word but can have mighty impact. The last month has shown what can be achieved when the same set of players, who were so abject in September are given belief by a common sense, no nonsense Manager. Great credit to Neil and his team, you’ve put the pride back into supporting Port Vale.

Just about everything has been said about a day to remember for a very long time, incredibly enjoyable and very healing after 18 months of mostly horrible times.

For me it was the most complete and comprehensive victory since we demolished Rotherham 6-2 a few seasons ago, and as in that game, Tom Pope had much to do with it, and surely everyone is very, very glad he was brought back to Vale Park now.

As Heatwave rightly said, another good show and consecutive clean sheets from Ryan Boot, quietly becoming an important and integral part of the improvement.

ALl the players deserve credit, every single one, but also I will say Joe Davis has been another who was mocked earlier in the season, but has been a very valuable signing when the need arose. Anthony Kay and Danny Pugh have had a lot of criticism but have also been 'reborn' in Rudge and Aspin's developing dram team.

As I have said elsewhere, the next month is crucial, we could lose Whitfield, Gunning and Harness and get a couple of injuries and all the elation and hard work would be in danger - or their signings could be funded and just one or two other quality players brought in, and things could look very rosy indeed.

We will see..... for now, i am revelling in today but thinking a little about the longer term too.

A bit of a moan, where once agian were all the fans today? What have the club got to do? I'm a season ticket holder couldn't make it today because of work but ensured my ticket was used. With Luton' s following we should have been pushing the 7000 Mark with our run during the Christmas period. Come on vale fans where are you??

Sent from my [device_name] using the http://onevalefan mobile app

I honestly think that a number of people may not have gone today because they thought Vale would be beaten, and they didn't want to se it.

Which makes the result and the manner of the performance even more satisfying and enriching.

There is also the unfortunate fact, as I have said before, that unpalatable as it may be to some who mock the fact, many people find it difficult to finance multiple games in a few days, and cannot afford or justify a match so soon after the commercial pressure Christmas and all its trappings places on them.

Particularly if going to the game involves expensive petrol, parking, snacks, drinks, programme and more that can mean each adult needing £40 or so to see their team. Not the clubs' fault, but to many £35-£40 twice in 4 days is not easy.

One small improvement would be to scrap the games the Saturday before Christmas when the day itself falls on a Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday, and also ensure that teams do not have 2 home or away games on Boxing Day and the next match, not difficult to do if anyone with an ounce of sense manned the fixtures computer.

Best ref I've seen this season personally.

Great that he let the game flow and helped us to keep the pace up but there were a number of times when he could have issued yellows and even a red towards the end when Worrall was laced.

Still no worries, we won 4-0 had it been closer I'm sure that the ref would have come under more scrutiny as it is who cares.

Having calmed down, looking back on the game leaves me in a bit of a stupor.

One man who stood out for me today was Michael Tonge. The Silver Fox didn't misplace a pass all day, looked composed and kept us on the front foot throughout. Good in the tackle and worked his decrepit legs till they gave in. Outstanding performance by a good pro.

Kay did what Kay does; slide tackle and win 50/50s dangerously close to 'high foot' territory. I particularly enjoyed the thunderous tackle in front of the Paddock which he celebrated with as much vigour as Pope did for his goals.

I don't like talking about Boot, as he makes me look silly. However, little tested today due to the fantastic defence.

Joe Davis will keep the available, player of the season Gibbons out of the team, out of position at right back. Read that through a few times.

Nathan Smith is back to his effective, aggressive best. I love Mad Gav but if he's off then Anderson is more than steady enough, and Pugh is a reborn LB. The League 2 Roberto Carlos.

Harness is brimming with confidence and looks a great attacking midfielder. Montano and Worrall are superb wingers for this level. Whitfield is too good for us. Pope makes me look stupid.

Going through the squad, I can't fathom how we've utterly ravaged the far and away top team in this league. What Aspin's achieved in 3 months is bordering on miraculous. The same squad of players which every was unanimous in declaring the worst they've seen is now on a 4 game winning streak, imperiously casting aside Coventry and Luton and feeling confident in visiting 2nd place County away.

2 or 3 astute additions in the window, extend the loans of Whitfield, Harness, and Denton, and I honestly think that we can surge up this table. Have a good new year folks. UTV

An excellent assessment. Common sense says if possible we keep the same starting 11 for Notts County. However we’ve got the issues with Whitfield and Gunning that are unclear at the moment. Also can players like Tonge, Pugh and Kay do 2 games in 3 days? Can Davis do 2 in 3 as well given he’s just come back from injury. There’s some really interesting choices for Aspin come Monday. Good choices too where we seem to have genuine options in the squad. I can’t believe the upturn we’ve seen since Aspin took over.

I have waited a long time to feel as good about Vale as I do today.

I found myself cheering at the screen and dancing around the room at full time... not recommended at my age, certainly against doctors orders [sod him]

The spark the started the fire?

It’s Neil Aspin and his Team

‘Port Vale is going on’

:yes:

Archived