onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Yesterday's attendance!!

smithie

Advert

I attended on Saturday, although it was a close thing. I am a season ticket holder and was expecting the game to be called off. Now its often a case that the pitch is playable but health and safety around the ground results in postponement.

It was very cold and being part of the ageing fan base I sometimes don't go for my own good. Can appreciate people not going because the football isn't that good.

Think you're one of the best posters on here Smithie, but here's my view:

- Don't discount the demoralising effect of relegation and what that means. The euphoria of the promotion and the 'big' matches was only half a decade ago. It was the first promotion for a generation of Vale fans, the first real success since the 90's. To be back so quickly to square one, at the bottom of the entire football league has been a bitter pill to swallow and has been compounded by the feeling that it is a result of the actions of our owner.

- Couple with the above point, a generation of Vale fans had gone through childhood and teenage years clinging on for the day they'd see success. When it came it was great, but now these fans are mid-20's with wives, kids and jobs and inevitably there's some that drift away. It seems that the club hasn't been able to retain or replace these fans, which leaves a hole in our fanbase. The less 20-something's in attendance, the worse the atmosphere, the less reason for others to attend, the less 'new blood' kids and teenagers are bothered to attend and so on. Take a look at the numbers in the paddock block nearest to the away fans. Without fail there'd be a couple of hundred in there from 2000 - 2015, now on some occasions there's 20-30.

- Don't underestimate the number of Vale fans who have to get in their car to come to a game. Thanks to our success in the 90's, I suspect there's a sizeable chunk of our fanbase who don't (and have never) lived anywhere near Burslem. Couple that with our evidently ageing fanbase and you have a perfect storm where our attendance may take a greater hit then other clubs.

- Quite simply, the season is over. It's evident to see that since Aspin came in we are good enough to stay up with ease. We've given ourselves way too much to do to compete for the playoff places but there's nothing really to get the casual fan to take in a game - when the games at present are fairly meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

- Our stadium has seen zero improvements in 20 years. I couldn't care less, but a lot of people do and it will be hitting our attendances. Not only does it mean fans have to put up with sub standard, decaying facilities, but it also shows a total lack of ambition and progressiveness from the club as a whole.

Keep the faith...UTV

Spot on .

I was going give this season the wide berth but we won some games in pre season and me m8 who goes in the bycars said u dont want miss this season we going play superbly Brows contacts in the game etc etc etc .

So i thought ok i willgo with his optimism and i brought me and my lad a season ticket ,and me mum paid for me nephews .

Well it is what it is it smainly average to poor .

Much better under Aspo so i feel the future may be bright again ,near im not so sure but long term i think it will be .

All them empty seats though really bugs me ,folk just aint interested in Vale even non supporters of football mock them .

Attendances are what we deserve ,yet surely if your a player u would want play that well so that the folk come but i dont see it in a lot of players performances .

I see a nothing ness about them .

Well they ate the sales people at the end of the day and there performaces bring in he pundits .

Once they cross that line they have to deliver .

3000 will be the norm now unfortunately and folk would rather watch a free game on there stick .

Thats the modern football fan a librarian as i go to encorage and get behind each player .

To me the atmosphere has gone out of football ,its all about money but money cannot be taken with you .

Totally different sport so apologies but take an opportunity to watch NFL on a Sunday. Even the college football is exciting and the things going on in and around the grounds are fan orientated it’s FUN something not happening at Vale or anywhere else in English football , the FA or premier league don’t give a flying f@@k about fans

I’ve been to wembley past three years to watch the NFL and I can honestly say football needs to look at this sport and see how it’s done and how they cherish or respect the fans times have moved on young kids need an experience not a bloody nightmare freezing cold with no ameanities

I’m afraid it won’t happen though clubs like the sjoke don’t really need fans to turn up still get loads of money whatever

Sent from my iPhone using onevalefan

Totally different sport so apologies but take an opportunity to watch NFL on a Sunday. Even the college football is exciting and the things going on in and around the grounds are fan orientated it’s FUN something not happening at Vale or anywhere else in English football , the FA or premier league don’t give a flying f@@k about fans

I’ve been to wembley past three years to watch the NFL and I can honestly say football needs to look at this sport and see how it’s done and how they cherish or respect the fans times have moved on young kids need an experience not a bloody nightmare freezing cold with no ameanities

I’m afraid it won’t happen though clubs like the sjoke don’t really need fans to turn up still get loads of money whatever

Totally agree - but it's not just the NFL the Americans do well. All their sports make it a brilliant experience for the fans. I went to several of the old NASL games in the eighties when we were on holiday in Florida and the experience was totally different to anything I'd ever been to before. Amazing. But it's a different mentality in the UK and I don't know that we'll ever get it, more's the pity.

• 2 weeks later...

it was rocking, atmosphere was great especially 2nd half it seemed like every header tackle pass was encouraged

Support from both sides was excellent although surprised at their 1600+ support looked more to me but has been a while since we have had that many in there.

Car park was a nightmare to get off (did lose it with a couple of drivers trying to cut across me when I had nowhere to go) always a sign of a larger crowd but would be great to retain some from now on.

Bringing this back a second, how good was it yesterday?

Excellent support and atmosphere.

Now we need to get these back each week.

It was good to sing something with a bit of variety for a change!

It was a great effort from Chaos Corner in The Paddock and I'm sure it spurred the team on.

Great atmosphere and the players certainly responded. I took 3 Frenchmen to the game who speak very little English and they were singing too. If the atmosphere was like that every week I am sure we would get more from the players but also the attendance would definitely grow.

Can't understand why we still sing about Mark Stein. He must love it that we still sing about him after 20+ years.

Sent from my [device_name] using the http://onevalefan mobile app

Archived