onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Yesterday's attendance!!

smithie

Loads of reasons for not going on Sat, & a few even if you're part of the hardcore. Weather & safety (plus the fact we have an ageing fan base means that is probably a slightly bigger factor than usual), money this time of year, league position, money being allocated to other games as we have 3 away days prior to Christmas, & then 2 big home games in Cov boxing day (which most will choose over this) & Luton. Then there was the issue of it possibly not being on, & people may have things to sort out in time for Christmas so maybe decided on the latter.

Even if our commercial department were clued up, there'd be no point marketing this game whatsoever, like others have said, usually a lower attendance just before Xmas, I imagine they'd target the big game on boxing day.

Don’t need to target big games, we need to target unattractive ones like this.

The simplest and easiest thing to do would be to have a recommend a friend incentive throughout the season along with free tickets for school kids and accompanying parent tickets for £5.

Sent from my iPhone using the onevalefan mobile app

Advert

Don’t need to target big games, we need to target unattractive ones like this.

The simplest and easiest thing to do would be to have a recommend a friend incentive throughout the season along with free tickets for school kids and accompanying parent tickets for £5.

Guaranteed that if marketed properly, there'd still be minimum take up on an unattractive game such as this, whereas Coventry you'd probably get a lot more through the gate. Not just because it's a big attendance anyway, but issuing family tickets or a Christmas package for both the Cov/Luton games would be a lot more successful IMO.

Chances are you may have had a few more through the gate for Cambridge, but we still probably wouldn't have hit 4,000. Do something like the above for boxing day, I reckon you could easily add 1,000 onto an already large gate. Plus you're targeting a bigger away fan base in Coventry.

We all know how we generally do when there's a big crowd though, so do we really want that many more? :razz:

I agree, but some people don't need a reason...

I doubt many were in doubt about the game being on, but some who had to travel a way or are not so mobile etc, in icy conditions may have decided not to go in case the weather turned nasty. The forecasts were way out in the areas they showed more snow.

Not everyone posting on here seems capable of realising that different people have different circumstances, and some may have had to make a decision whether to go at, say 10am, if they had families who wanted them to go Christmas shopping, or had a longer way to travel or for multiple other possible reasons.

There's clearly an issue to be discussed when we've just had the lowest Saturday attendance in most people's memory.

It is quite amazing that a person in the marketing department for a month could be scapegoated when clearly, there has been a problem for 2,3 or more years and for all their faults even Valiant2001 managed a very successful marketing exercise to sell many thousand season tickets.

The responsibility if a problem is longer term is clearly and obviously with the owner, and if he does not appoint the right people, then he replaces them, it is his club (more's the tragic pity) - but the ************ is almost certainly paying peanuts and getting what he pays for.

I very much doubt that he is bothered either, having not even put up the money for an experienced goalkeeper out of the £250k he trousered for JA last January - he will just let the club limp along on the minimum cost and marketing is a luxury to him.

This is as clear as daylight but fails to suit some agendas. Smurf is responsible for the appointments, whether managers or marketing staff, and no one has that much bad luck, as one poster already said. Cheapskate owner policy, cheapskate outcome.

I would give Robbie Williams a season ticket for free. The free publicity would be worth far more than the cost of printing it and we have 15000 empty seats. Sell an extra 200 shirts to his fans and we would be quids in.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using the onevalefan mobile app

great idea. a free season ticket worth a couple of hundred quid to a superstar worth millions and who lives in la.

he'd jump at it & be on a plane in no time

I would give Robbie Williams a season ticket for free. The free publicity would be worth far more than the cost of printing it and we have 15000 empty seats. Sell an extra 200 shirts to his fans and we would be quids in.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using the onevalefan mobile app

So, we give the wealthiest Vale fan in the world a season ticket and that's supposed to be good news? :ohmy:

Free tickets given to a deserving family would be better; maybe Vale fans for generations who now can't afford to go. Ask for nominations and select by ballot. Or get Robbie to do the picking?

True.

In regards to Saturday I saw it all over social media about what was going on at the ground with them trying to get the game on and updates were quite regular. It never really seemed in doubt that it would go ahead. In the old days we'd have relied on local radio, football focus and teletext, all that in addition to actually calling the ground.

I don't actually see how the club can come in for criticism after getting the game on.

correct - well done everyone for getting the game on. a great effort from all concerned

Archived