onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Aspin has inherited some rubbish

old sage

Yeah I’ve said this countless times before. I was sat in the academy office on a Friday night with a number of other coaches after a training session and page came in raging about a small group of players who basically thought they would go in and try and change his mind on dropping Yates. The group was Pope, Dodds and Birchall and he said all of them and a few others in their little mafia were going in the summer because he ran the team not them and he was going to speak to Smurf about it.

Sent from my iPhone using the onevalefan mobile app

If thats the case, I dont doubt it, then dont offer them any type of contract.

Advert

The title of this thread Aspin inherits a load of rubbish .

Yet at times they aint Rubbish they r good and if we r to escape relegation we must have all the players onside and at it .

The biggest problem we have is we give goals away id only describe as avoidable and then another one follows soon after .

I know Mr Aspin is choosing the same back four and for 80 out the 90 mins they play well but the ten minutes they dont r condemning us to woe after woe .

They either lose concentration or think they r better than what they r .

Here is my opinion Gibbons needs to play the Grant role winning the ball and passing it well i believe he can do it .

Anderson needs to concentrate all game and get his head on our set pieces more if is teeth get broken so what u play for Vale u get that ball in the oppositions net and make sure no one gets it in ours .

Smith needs to show more a defender in the modern game has to not only defend but carry the ball forwards he looks scared stiff and as being at fault a lot this season but its overlooked because he is a local lad .

Its no good playing well and winning your battles for 80 mins then the other ten being dominated and losing us game after game .

Gunning well for a hard man supposedly he doesnt half make some balls ups and his passing is atrocious ,yet he is first choice every game ,yes we like u punching the air after a win but make sure its more often as your errors r adding up .

Boot get off your line and command your area, your defence .

Narrow your angles go out there and believe in yourself and be decisive .

Utv id go through the midfield but im tired and just finished work .

Yeah I’ve said this countless times before. I was sat in the academy office on a Friday night with a number of other coaches after a training session and page came in raging about a small group of players who basically thought they would go in and try and change his mind on dropping Yates. The group was Pope, Dodds and Birchall and he said all of them and a few others in their little mafia were going in the summer because he ran the team not them and he was going to speak to Smurf about it.

On a Friday night in the clubs Academy building behind the away end or on a Friday night in the offices they were using when the academy were training at Dimensions?

The irony of it is that Smurf cut the whole budget to get rid of Page too. I wonder why Smurf happily took all the credit for engineering Page and all those players out when it would have been very easy to deflect blame on to Page for the players going?

The title of this thread Aspin inherits a load of rubbish .

Yet at times they aint Rubbish they r good and if we r to escape relegation we must have all the players onside and at it .

The biggest problem we have is we give goals away id only describe as avoidable and then another one follows soon after .

I know Mr Aspin is choosing the same back four and for 80 out the 90 mins they play well but the ten minutes they dont r condemning us to woe after woe .

They either lose concentration or think they r better than what they r .

I think he’s inherited a squad that has lots of players in key areas that are lacking either in quality or depth, especially centre mid, wide and up front. We seem so unbalanced with many similar players but very little quality on the ball or pace.

I don’t agree with your comments about the defenders thinking they are better than they are. Yes they’ve made individual mistakes but it looks to me that it’s a combination of factors and because of our deficiencies in certain areas that we invite pressure. The midfield and forwards seem to struggle to retain the ball. The midfield sometimes sit too deep so we have no outlet or no one close enough to the lone striker, so the ball comes back quickly. We miss chances. I also don’t think that we’ve seen the same work rate from some players this last month and we can’t afford to carry anyone. All of that heaps even more pressure on the back four and when a mistake happens, we get punished. Yet at the other end we are not doing that to other teams. If we lose a goal we need to just to do the basics for 5 or 10 minutes to steady the ship, get a foot on the ball, clear our lines properly, keep the team shape. We don’t seem to do that. Lincoln in particular stands out in that regard.

On Smith, I think in the main his defending has been good this season, but I think what will hold him back is his reuctance to accept the ball and try to play. He looks like he doesn't want the ball at all. On top of that he hasn't had the same influence in the opposition box as he had last year.

Without any meaningful midfield we will continue to struggle. The engine room provide not only cover for defence but fodder for the attack. For simply yonks now we have screamed out for 2 or 3 competent, experienced midfielders. Until we get them we are papering over cracks. That said, my gut tells me that with a proven goalscorer alongside Pope we could eke out a win or two here and there to mask the obvious midfield deficiencies. Aspin says he knows what we want. I wish him all the luck in the world.

Sent from my SM-G920F using the onevalefan mobile app

I've said it before about the midfield, there are too many players who are neither one thing nor the other.

Players like Pugh and Tonge, how do you pigeonhole them? They aren't ball winners, they aren't particularly creative... at least when Kay got moved into a holding midfield role you got the feeling you knew what sort of player he was.

I hate to say it but we're a rag tag bunch of bits and pieces players in the middle of the park.

100% correct but who is really to blame???

A person only needs half a brain to know that the poor state of the club and the league position result from the penny pinching business acumen of the owner.

He has admitted his failings and he promised to put things right.

I hope that he means it and puts his money where his mouth is by bringing quality footballers to the club in January.

I think the midfield can not be blamed for giving players free headers from set piece situations ,letting the ball bounce and be out muscled etc .

We have conceded with cup games in about 25 games 39 goals and none of them really good goals which u can say oh well there aint really much u can do about that .

All annoying giveaway goals what i dont see other established sides in this division giving us .

The midfield Pugh is a left back yet Brown and Aspin c him as something in midfield what im not quite sure he seems finished to me as a pro footballer .

Tonge passes it well but hasnt got the legs no more .

Worrall is decent but at times disappears from games.

Whitfield was making us tick then got injured.

Harness plays well if whitfield plays if he doesnt then he doesnt .

Reeves i think is potentially very good but throwing a kid in a relegation fight well Gibbons is showing he is good enough can Billy .

Kay is probably the leader on the pitch but like tonge and pugh cannot get up the pitch quick enough etc but he as done ok in midfield better than in defence.

Pope well his application has being superb but since whitfield has being out as really being carrying the fight on his own maybe its time Barnett stepped up and helped him well not him as such US ,so sat nights can be enjoyable regularly again

The rest well forrester misses two many chances but i think him and Barnett for thhe tiring Pope may be effectual from the bench.

Ive watched football for years and i dont like what im seeing happening to my great club .

Every player has to step up if they no desire to then f--k off ,its as simple as that .

A special word for Denton i think he can go far in the game does he .

A person only needs half a brain to know that the poor state of the club and the league position result from the penny pinching business acumen of the owner.

He has admitted his failings and he promised to put things right.

I hope that he means it and puts his money where his mouth is by bringing quality footballers to the club in January.

Well if he doesn't its all over:sad:

I think the midfield can not be blamed for giving players free headers from set piece situations ,letting the ball bounce and be out muscled etc .

I did say the defence have made mistakes, but you will never get any game where the opposition don't get a chance.

The team defend setpieces not just the defender. Look at the first 2 Mansfield goals the other week, Pugh missed his header on the first ball for both goals and Andersons man scored twice. Players not picking up the second ball from free kicks has been a big problem this last few weeks and both Mansfield and Lincoln capitalised on that.

I've said it before about the midfield, there are too many players who are neither one thing nor the other.

Players like Pugh and Tonge, how do you pigeonhole them? They aren't ball winners, they aren't particularly creative... at least when Kay got moved into a holding midfield role you got the feeling you knew what sort of player he was.

I hate to say it but we're a rag tag bunch of bits and pieces players in the middle of the park.

You forgot about bobtail!:laugh:

Archived