onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Aspin has inherited some rubbish

old sage

Fair play to TylerB and PV1993 as writing the Vale squad is almost equivalent to reading War and Peace.

Shows the nigh on impossible task that Aspo has in trimming the dead wood.

In the short term my out list would be

Hornby

Denton

De Freitas

Stobbs

Middleton

Pyke

The problem is we have players on 2 year deals such as Kay ( incredible decision by Brown ), Wilson and Montano.

As previous posts have said , who on earth would want any of this squad ?

In the long term and i appreciate we are at League 2 standard but if and hopefully when we stop up then this will be the 3rd summer running with a massive exodus and influx.

I'll be the first to admit i was tired of the Page regime ( only away from home as he was so negative ) but i'd snap your hand of for a bit of that now.

This could cost smurf a lot of money again paying up people who are surplus or cack.

Also as football is a ruthless game i fear that Yates and Knopps will be unlikely to ever kick a ball in anger again and the former ought to get a testimonial, Knopps was a steady eddie and has been incredibly unlucky.

Advert

Fair play to TylerB and PV1993 as writing the Vale squad is almost equivalent to reading War and Peace.

Shows the nigh on impossible task that Aspo has in trimming the dead wood.

In the short term my out list would be

Hornby

Denton

De Freitas

Stobbs

Middleton

Pyke

The problem is we have players on 2 year deals such as Kay ( incredible decision by Brown ), Wilson and Montano.

As previous posts have said , who on earth would want any of this squad ?

In the long term and i appreciate we are at League 2 standard but if and hopefully when we stop up then this will be the 3rd summer running with a massive exodus and influx.

I'll be the first to admit i was tired of the Page regime ( only away from home as he was so negative ) but i'd snap your hand of for a bit of that now.

This could cost smurf a lot of money again paying up people who are surplus or cack.

Also as football is a ruthless game i fear that Yates and Knopps will be unlikely to ever kick a ball in anger again and the former ought to get a testimonial, Knopps was a steady eddie and has been incredibly unlucky.

Even though hes on a 2 year deal I would add Wilson to that list too, but with Yates injury we have no backup for Gibbons, so that may mean Wilson is kept. Unless he uses Davis when fit or a midfielder like Reeves as cover, as he has played there before.

I hate to say that I'd though the same about Knopps and Yates too. Serious injuries and coming to the end of their deals. Footballs ruthless at times.

i agree PV1973, what is the enigma of Lawrie Wilson ?

What a coup i thought when we signed him, proven cracking attacking full back just what we needed.

Just can't weigh it up, the bonus is the emergence of Gibbons but what on earth has gone on with such a decent player !

i agree PV1973, what is the enigma of Lawrie Wilson ?

What a coup i thought when we signed him, proven cracking attacking full back just what we needed.

Just can't weigh it up, the bonus is the emergence of Gibbons but what on earth has gone on with such a decent player !

I thought he was our 'marquee' signing, a player with quality having just gone up with Bolton and with good experience at this level. It just hasn't worked out for him, and I don't think hes looked up to it. Maybe the injury he suffered last season and its after effects is the reason Bolton didn't renew his contract? I can see Aspin wanting him out to be honest as hes been nowhere near the league squads. But I agree that Gibbons has been a real bonus, makes you wonder why Brown didn't give him a go earlier.

I wonder if the Vale players come on here cause if they did if i was being told i was rubbish id be wanting silence those who have said it or are footballers not as proud as ordinary low paid workers .

For example someone at work says they r a much better worker than me i usually silence them by working so damn hard and proving them wrong and finding motivation through those unkind words .

This is what im on about we lack moral fibre i dont c players throwing themselvs at the ball to keep it our net and apart from Popey anyone who has the courage put it in theres .

We talk about players but the most important Appointment a club can make is that of Manager and in this respect, Smurthwaite has failed miserably. The gulf between ourselves and Shrewsbury is immense and yet there was little to choose between the two clubs at the end of last season. In fact, Shrewsbury,who looked nailed on for relegation half way through the season pulled themselves out of the mire while we dropped right into it. The reasons for this are simple. The Shrewsbury board appointed a decent manager while Smurthwaite lazily appointed Brown until the end of the season and to compound his stupidity, appointed Brown as full time Manager despite his abysmal record after taking over from Robeiro. I believe that Neil Aspin is the right choice but I fear that he has arrived six months too late. Our performances over the past four games( after the 'honeymoon' period) have relegation stamped all over them.

Sent from my iPhone using onevalefan

I thought he was our 'marquee' signing, a player with quality having just gone up with Bolton and with good experience at this level. It just hasn't worked out for him, and I don't think hes looked up to it. Maybe the injury he suffered last season and its after effects is the reason Bolton didn't renew his contract? I can see Aspin wanting him out to be honest as hes been nowhere near the league squads. But I agree that Gibbons has been a real bonus, makes you wonder why Brown didn't give him a go earlier.

Brown for all his playing experience was bloody thick where assessing players was concerned and wouldn't know a decent up and coming player if one kicked him in the groin, Aspin has been given a mountain to climb wearing roller skates.

We talk about players but the most important Appointment a club can make is that of Manager and in this respect, Smurthwaite has failed miserably. The gulf between ourselves and Shrewsbury is immense and yet there was little to choose between the two clubs at the end of last season. In fact, Shrewsbury,who looked nailed on for relegation half way through the season pulled themselves out of the mire while we dropped right into it. The reasons for this are simple. The Shrewsbury board appointed a decent manager while Smurthwaite lazily appointed Brown until the end of the season and to compound his stupidity, appointed Brown as full time Manager despite his abysmal record after taking over from Robeiro. I believe that Neil Aspin is the right choice but I fear that he has arrived six months too late. Our performances over the past four games( after the 'honeymoon' period) have relegation stamped all over them.

Sent from my iPhone using onevalefan

Then I choose to differ. The most important person is the owner.

Does he care

Does he want success above profit

Does he have ambition

Does he know how to run a football club

Is he a fan of the club through & through

Are honesty & integrity his prime values

Does he respect the paying public who will be there through thick and thin

I’ll leave you to judge 🤫

Anyone ever looked at Wilson's record? He played bugger all for Bolton in over 2 seasons. I don't get where his great rep has come from

He played 26 times last season and got injured early this year. Most of his career has been at championship and league one level.

Then I choose to differ. The most important person is the owner.

Does he care

Does he want success above profit

Does he have ambition

Does he know how to run a football club

Is he a fan of the club through & through

Are honesty & integrity his prime values

Does he respect the paying public who will be there through thick and thin

I’ll leave you to judge 🤫

I don't disagree with you. All I'm trying to do is to draw parallels between ourselves and Shrewsbury Town who were in a worse situation than we were this time last season but made the right choice of manager whereas Smurthwaite took the easy way out for all the reasons you mention. The result is that Shrewsbury now stand second in the First Division while we languish in twenty second place in the Second Division. If ever there is an example of how important the appointment of the right manager is to any club, this surely illustrates it.

Sent from my iPhone using the onevalefan mobile app

I don't disagree with you. All I'm trying to do is to draw parallels between ourselves and Shrewsbury Town who were in a worse situation than we were this time last season but made the right choice of manager whereas Smurthwaite took the easy way out for all the reasons you mention. The result is that Shrewsbury now stand second in the First Division while we languish in twenty second place in the Second Division. If ever there is an example of how important the appointment of the right manager is to any club, this surely illustrates it.

Sent from my iPhone using the onevalefan mobile app

And that manager came from the National League ultimately so let's see what Aspo can do over the same time period. It's about m9ving forward from here.However much last season grates nothing can be changed. Apart from being a legend Aspo has good credentials for achieving what Hurst has done.

So very much part of their first team squad then, of what was a capable promotion winning bunch.

Irrelevant anyway - I'm sure if he shows anything like his previous form Aspo will involve him,if he shows in training what we saw earlier this season he will not

Agreed. Like I mentioned earlier he played 26 games in total from Sept to beginning of Feb before getting injured, so he was an integral part of a team that were very good last season. But it means nothing if he isn't performing now.

Not only has Wilson got to (quickly) show Aspin in training and reserve games what hes capable of, he's also got to hope that Gibbons has a massive downturn in form too. But Aspins been here 2 months now and Wilson is nowhere near a regular bench warmer yet so maybe his cards already marked.

Archived