onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Why Ben Whitfield didn't play.

melv

I can understand bournmouths position it just seems strange to me that a manager would hog tie himself
The disadvantage of a loan player, but on the other hand we have had the benefit of a player above our pay scale, also the most effective loanee. I would expect clubs to insist upon injured loan players to be returned to their clubs for treatment, they will have the medical history and the wellbeing of their promising players in mind.

Advert

I can understand bournmouths position it just seems strange to me that a manager would hog tie himself

Whitfield was signed on loan by Brown. Aspin would have been tied by the agreement that was made between the two parties previously. I think Bournemouth are just protecting their asset and we have to be sensible about it. We are trying to negotiate another loan period for him so we have to agree with their request or we lose him.

This whole affair just demonstrates what fools Brown and anyone else involved in bringing in the current loan players have been. Whilst I can understand Bournemouth's position if they were only willing to loan Whitfield on the basis they can dictate which games he can play in and even for how long he can play in them we shouldn't have gone ahead, it's too restrictive and there was no guarantee he was going to play as well as he has. He'd have to be Ronaldo to make those restrictions worth accepting. If you loan out a player you have to trust the club he goes to to look after his welfare, you may keep tabs on the player but it's unreasonable to start controlling his use by the manager of the team he's on loan at. If the player gets injured the norm is for him to be assessed by the parent club then returned when fully fit to play, ie, no restrictions on his deployment. Not wanting a player cup tied is separate to this.

How badly run has the club been whereby the same mistakes are repeated time and again with the negotiating skills of a small child in a sweet shop? 35 or so players on the books and we can't make a half decent first XI. I just hope Rudge and Aspin can get it sorted before doomesday in May and even then it'll take a year or two to properly fix the squad.

As an injured player he needs to recover and be brought back carefully. As a Premier League club Bournemouth have the staff and facilities to manage him to a high standard and we should respect their judgement. I appreciate we are desperate to get him back, i can't face much more of Harness and in my opinion Montano also has someway to go in recovering full fitness.

In my opinion it makes sense for an injured player to return "home" until he is judged fit.

What doesnt make sense, to me, is that a parent club should dictate when/where/if/for how long the player should play when on loan. There are exceptions, cup ties etc.

The above hog ties the borrowing manager, not only regarding the player but also the substitute he has to have ready to replace him and it governs the team selections and tactics accordingly.

Imagine having 3 loan players restricted to 20 minutes each... do you start with them or end with them?... the chances are you start with them otherwise it restricts your ability to change things if tactics are not working... but you have also taken up 3 subs places to replace them and if the tactics are not working you are again restricted in what you can do.

Archived