onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Matchday Thread: Port Vale v Grimsby Town

Fosse69

I like the optimism but we need some realism here.

Everyone is expecting us to trounce Grimsby tomorrow because Aspin has arrived but let's not forget this is a team that haven't won in 10 games.

It will take a few weeks before Aspin can properly make his mark so we just need 100% support and an encouraging atmosphere today.

Apart from the Checks trade trophy game on Tuesday of course....

Sent from my Moto G (5) using the onevalefan mobile app

Advert

I like the optimism but we need some realism here.

Everyone is expecting us to trounce Grimsby tomorrow because Aspin has arrived but let's not forget this is a team that haven't won in 10 games.

It will take a few weeks before Aspin can properly make his mark so we just need 100% support and an encouraging atmosphere today.

Agreed, I'm actually more worried about the expectations, rather than the performance for once. Will be a fair few hundred there who probably haven't been for a while, & if they aren't used to how bad it is, a bit nervous about how they might react, which could snowball.

Providing the effort is there, hoping everyone gives them 100% support for 90 minutes, regardless of the score.

Can't recall that one but didn't we come back from a few goals down (1-3 or 0-3) to beat them 4-3 at the Vale in the seventies? I think Cullerton was on the score sheet that day and we scored about 3 goals in 10 minutes after half time but my memory, like yours, might be a bit hazy!

Hope for the same tomorrow!

I was there for the 4-3!!....0-3 at H-T if memory serves...winter/Xmas game....I recall snow during the game....

Sent from my LG-D855 using the onevalefan mobile app

I was there for the 4-3!!....0-3 at H-T if memory serves...winter/Xmas game....I recall snow during the game....

Sent from my LG-D855 using the onevalefan mobile app

There was a story behind that, related to us much later by a member of the Vale coaching staff that day.

Roy Sproson, the then Vale manager, told his players that he'd been told by the chairman that he'd get the sack if they lost today. Vale duly went in at half time 2-0 down. Sproson laid into his team, saying he was having to clear his office. They went out for the second half and promptly conceded a third. Then one of the players noticed Sproson wasn't in the dugout. 'He really meant it' they told each other and turned on the power, finishing 4-3 winners. Of course it was all kiddums; Sproey wasn't in fear of his job at all (at least not then).

After the match the Chairman (Jim Lloyd?) met with Sproey in the players' lounge. While congratulating him on the win, he asked why several players had been making V signs at the Directors' Box as they came off the pitch at full time.

I wouldn't play Gunning today as he'd be nailed on to get sent off.

Thought he was one of the best performers against Newcastle. Has an issue with losing the plot but has the sort of fight Aspin will like. Just needs a lesson from Aspin on how to manage his aggression. We need a bit more steel at the back.

Archived