onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Matchday Thread: Port Vale v Grimsby Town

Fosse69

Advert

Just watched Popey’e pre-match interview on Youtube Port Vale and was shocked by how downbeat he was. I’ve NEVER been a critic of Tom but found his interview deeply unimpressive with no sign whatsoever that he was excited by the new regime and raring to go. I hope that isn’t an indication of how the rest of the team is feeling.

He said they’d had a full scale practice on the main pitch with all 30+ players involved. His interview was so poor I wondered if he’d played badly and suspects he might not feature under the new regime. Whatever, it was a pretty lame performance for the camera.

Hope I’ve read it wrong!

I’ve criticised him more than fairly this season for his fitness and very poor form but I’d defend him here, that’s simply his demeanour, nothing more, nothing less.

That’s just typical Pope! He is always slightly down beat when he is interviewed... even when he was interviewed just after promotion! I get the feeling he doesn’t really like media duties!

Sent from my iPhone using the onevalefan mobile app

Always remember his interview after the Bradford sky game years ago when he muttered his way through it. My mate who is American said he seemed miserable, I retorted no he’s just from Stoke-on-Trent!

Can't recall that one but didn't we come back from a few goals down (1-3 or 0-3) to beat them 4-3 at the Vale in the seventies? I think Cullerton was on the score sheet that day and we scored about 3 goals in 10 minutes after half time but my memory, like yours, might be a bit hazy!

Hope for the same tomorrow!

Aspo isn't going to fix this shower in a couple of minutes,he hasn't been here long enough to sort out his strongest team even with a few pointers from micky so I reckon slow steady progress.I'm not going for this roy of the rovers stuff although a win would be fantastic a draw is more likely.utv

+

See

Can't recall that one but didn't we come back from a few goals down (1-3 or 0-3) to beat them 4-3 at the Vale in the seventies? I think Cullerton was on the score sheet that day and we scored about 3 goals in 10 minutes after half time but my memory, like yours, might be a bit hazy!

Hope for the same tomorrow!

I was there! I'm pretty sure we'd been knocked out of the FA Cup the week before and we were 3 down at half time.

Did Tommy McLaren get one? I remember it was December and very cold.

Grimsby sent us down in 1992, police horses were required to keep order as the Vale nutters made for the away end.

Very little changes over the years!

Aspo isn't going to fix this shower in a couple of minutes,he hasn't been here long enough to sort out his strongest team even with a few pointers from micky so I reckon slow steady progress.I'm not going for this roy of the rovers stuff although a win would be fantastic a draw is more likely.utv

+

A few pointers from Micky who? Dolenz? Mouse?

It’s a tough one for Aspo as he’s only been here 3 days saddled with players I suspect he wouldn’t have chosen. Our hope is that his and our passion for this great club transverses into the heart and soul of these players to carry us over the line. Aspo/Rudgie legendary status is secure whatever happens. It is time for these players to try to reach that status themselves. Can’t wait to see my two heroes walk on to the hallowed turf and take their bow. It is going to be exceptionally emotional. I suspect there will be a few grumpy miserable gits like myself wiping away the stray tear or two from our weathered face today. I thank them for the memories they are ingrained within the fabric of my life. Now is the time to establish some fresh ones. Up the Vale.

I like the optimism but we need some realism here.

Everyone is expecting us to trounce Grimsby tomorrow because Aspin has arrived but let's not forget this is a team that haven't won in 10 games.

It will take a few weeks before Aspin can properly make his mark so we just need 100% support and an encouraging atmosphere today.

Posted this on the wrong thread so;

I'm 4,009 miles from Burslem...just checked it. It's 12.35pm here and I'm tingling!! I realise what might happen in reality but haven't we dreamed of something like this for the last doleful years? I wish I was parking up on Hamil Road, buying me Uncle Joe's Mintballs and Victory V lozenges, taking me seat on the halfway line, near the back and watching whatever happens.

I'll be watching on iFollow and bellowing at the screen but it won't be the same without that thrill as Aspo and Rudgey are brought out and announced...I can hear/feel the noise now!

I hope Aspo gets those professional footballers to have a good, long look in the mirror before they go out and come back in with nothing left on the pitch. Win, lose or draw Vale fans will be happy with that. Stevenage last week was a car crash and I watched it until the end feeling dead inside......the fire has been relit this week.

Hope everyone has a cracking day, Vale win, not bothered if it's in style, and you bloody lot had better roar them home!!!

Goooooaarrrnnn Vale!

It will indeed.

I suspect that our XI in 12 months time will be a lot different to today's team.

Grimsby, like Notts County, are a big tall team and will compete physically for every ball. That's something we have lacked especially in midfield and needs to be put right. That said, we don't have a Grant or a Porter any longer and I'm not sure we have anyone in the squad who is fully capable of doing that job.

Still, the ball will be in their half of the pitch all game won't it?:wink:

Archived