onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Retained list for season 17/18

TylerB

We need a mixture, a few class acts, also mainly solid battlers, a couple or so loanees, and lads coming though hopefully as a nucleus for the future. Bikey and Eagles fit my ideas. Not forgetting a solid keeper.

I agree, I just don't think Pugh has the legs or is good enough.

Advert

Deep in the trenches he was garbage on Sunday.

Should be nowhere near a professional football club.

For me he's been no worse than most of our players, but at least has played at a higher level throughout his career which shows he has had a bit of something about it.

I'm by no means saying we should even consider for a moment signing him up. I'd rather have a young kid with legs going into League Two than a has been that's on his last.

I'd think about a 12 month contract for Pugh. He seems to be a really good pro, someone who has played at this level before and could help the young lads throughout the season. He really hasn't been that bad and always put in a shift when I saw him play. No, he isn't the quickest any longer but I'd certainly have him in my squad for 12 months.

Agree with Spunkers, Pugh has been awful for a so called experience player he's offered very little to the cause. We can't afford squad players of that age strutting around, fair enough if he was 10 years younger but no thanks! Past his best is the phrase I'd use.

In his defence he wasn't the only one I didn't see a great deal from Taylor aside from the 5 or 6 goals he got(thanks for scoring against Shrewsbury Ryan, I've still some bragging rights there in the pub on Friday nights lol!)

We are going to need some experienced players in the squad. Out of last seasons team I'd defintley offer contracts to Bikey, Eagles and Foley. Short terms deals for Purkiss and Pugh or we need to get in experienced replacements for those 2 if we can get someone. I think we could also do with an old head up front as well.

I understand it to be more vindictive than that,Bill Bell rattled their cage and they have borne a grudge ever since,

someat to do with pi**ing in their hat!:laugh::razz::clap: oh and not letting them win once in a while back then...:innocent06:

Unofficial Vale seems to do well with these things.

My list of retained and released would be (I've included contracted players I would negotiate a settlement with in released)

Retained

Remie Streete

Kjell Knops

Ryan Taylor

Sam Kelly

Rigino Cicilia

Sam Foley

Anton Forrester

Dan Turner

Scott Tanser

Ryan Boot

Nathan Smith

Anthony de Freitas

Billy Reeves

Harry Pickering

Luke Dennis

James Gibbons

André Bikey

Chris Eagles

Joe Slinn

Released

Deniz Mehmet

Ben Purkiss

Adam Yates

Paulo Tavares

JJ Hooper

Danny Pugh

Jerome Thomas

Chris Mbamba

Kiko

Quentin Pereira

Ryan Lloyd

Sébastien Amoros

Gezim Shalaj

Sam Johnson

Anton Forrester

That would leave a squad of:

GK

Ryan Boot

RB

Ryan Taylor

LB

Kjell Knops

Scott Tanser

CB

Remie Streete

Nathan Smith

Andre Bikey

CM

Sam Foley

Billy Reeves

LM

Sam Kelly

RM

Chris Eagles

Anthony De Freitas

CF

Rigino Cicilia

Development Squad

Dan Turner, Harry Pickering, Luke Dennis, James Gibbons, Joe Slinn

From there I think we need an experienced GK, a RB (who can cover centre back), a CM, LM and 2 strikers. Add a couple of development players in and go with that. 19-man squad supplemented by the development team for depth. A lot of the players in the squad are utility players, covering several positions.

The likelihood is we'll lose Streete and Smith in the summer, we'll need cover till Xmas at earliest for Knops and the rumour Sunday was that Kelly is signing for Shrewsbury. So we could need to bring in 12 players. Going to be a busy summer.

I know it's probably a controversial list, but that's what I would do.

I'd get rid of a few more.

I don't know much about the younger lads but I would not give Taylor or Kelly a contract.

I'd look carefully at Forrester's situation and see if he is capable of playing 50 games a season.

Streete will go.

Foley might go, I suppose.

Tanser/Kiko? Unsure about either. I suspect we can do better.

Goalkeeper? Again, I'm unsure. Is Fasan worth keeping?

Most of the money MUST go on a couple of goalscorers, at least one up front and a midfielder who can score.

Don't envy Brown at all but I suppose fans will again see about 14 new players arriving so that might help create a bit of a buzz.

I just hope we don't make the mistakes we made last year and instead go for a quality squad of about 20 backed up by 2-3 good loan players. Not 40+ journeymen.

Unofficial Vale seems to do well with these things.

My list of retained and released would be (I've included contracted players I would negotiate a settlement with in released)

Retained

Remie Streete

Kjell Knops

Ryan Taylor

Sam Kelly

Rigino Cicilia

Sam Foley

Anton Forrester

Dan Turner

Scott Tanser

Ryan Boot

Nathan Smith

Anthony de Freitas

Billy Reeves

Harry Pickering

Luke Dennis

James Gibbons

André Bikey

Chris Eagles

Joe Slinn

Released

Deniz Mehmet

Ben Purkiss

Adam Yates

Paulo Tavares

JJ Hooper

Danny Pugh

Jerome Thomas

Chris Mbamba

Kiko

Quentin Pereira

Ryan Lloyd

Sébastien Amoros

Gezim Shalaj

Sam Johnson

Anton Forrester

That would leave a squad of:

GK

Ryan Boot

RB

Ryan Taylor

LB

Kjell Knops

Scott Tanser

CB

Remie Streete

Nathan Smith

Andre Bikey

CM

Sam Foley

Billy Reeves

LM

Sam Kelly

RM

Chris Eagles

Anthony De Freitas

CF

Rigino Cicilia

Development Squad

Dan Turner, Harry Pickering, Luke Dennis, James Gibbons, Joe Slinn

From there I think we need an experienced GK, a RB (who can cover centre back), a CM, LM and 2 strikers. Add a couple of development players in and go with that. 19-man squad supplemented by the development team for depth. A lot of the players in the squad are utility players, covering several positions.

The likelihood is we'll lose Streete and Smith in the summer, we'll need cover till Xmas at earliest for Knops and the rumour Sunday was that Kelly is signing for Shrewsbury. So we could need to bring in 12 players. Going to be a busy summer.

I know it's probably a controversial list, but that's what I would do.

You've got Forrester in there twice, I'd retain him TBH and I'd offer Purkiss a deal.

Add these to your released list

Ryan Taylor

Sam Kelly

Scott Tanser

Rigino Cicilia

Not too sure about the following but from what I've seen of Turner and Reeves I've not been overly impressed, they may obviously develop. Play them when desperate!

Dan Turner

Ryan Boot

Billy Reeves

Harry Pickering

Luke Dennis

James Gibbons

Joe Slinn

Targets for new signings have to be a striker, goalkeeper, right back and a creative midfielder. That's where the money needs to be spent. The replacements for Streete, Smith and Foley.

Chris Neal is an easy choice as he can't even make the bench at Fleetwood. Billy Knott would do the creative midfield role. Theres a couple of proven league two strikers playing for smaller clubs which we should be able to afford to bring in (whether or not they want to come is a different matter). Mixed up with a couple of vetern signings and the young lads from the development squad we should have a decent squad for this league.

Archived