onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Retained list for season 17/18

TylerB

Thomas can sod off.

Don't you mean hobble off?

Keeping him next season is a no no, he's permanently injured. For me if you have a limited budget and squad size - ie the norm for L1 & 2 - one of the key attributes needed by the players you have is that they are available to play every week. Obviously players will occasionally get injured but that should be the exception rather than the norm. Michael Walsh was an excellent defender but ever in the same league as Aspo or Glover (who were rarely missing) because Walsh spent half his life on the treatment table.

Advert

There's only Streete (although he won't sign but guarantees us compensation if he moves to another club in England), Smith (who will be sold) and Foley (who will go back down south) I'd even attempt to keep. Eagles is too soft for third division football and has already been released by a 4th division team. Bikey isn't fit, if you could get him fit then offer him a pay as you play deal as cover. Pugh is past it. Forrester was a gamble. Most of his problems seem in his head. Hooper is not a natural footballer and has no confidence. That's down to the management to get the best out of him. Needed playing with an experienced striker to be his brain. Reminds me of Beckford in that respect. I suspect he's already got a move as hasn't seemed bothered for over a month. Kelly same.

What really annoys me with Brown is he kept complaining about lack of quality (the poor January signings, freezing out the foreigners just to save a few quid) injuries, (he was in charge for nigh on 5 months and the fitness only got worse as injuries were picked up) and now he's even getting his excuses in for next season! (about us lacking a core for next season) That's the job of a good manager. It shows that Brown isn't one. Coupled with his appalling record and terrible signings.

Leaving the youngsters Turner, Reeves etc out of the equation the only players who i would keep are:

Smith, Streete (who will leave i suspect), Eagles, Foley (Who will leave) & if fit Bikey.

The rest frankly are not good enough, lack the required ability, lack the required bottle & will be luck to get a conference club based on this seasons shower.

Oh and smurf, gives us our ground back & get out you poison!

There's only Streete (although he won't sign but guarantees us compensation if he moves to another club in England), Smith (who will be sold) and Foley (who will go back down south) I'd even attempt to keep. Eagles is too soft for third division football and has already been released by a 4th division team. Bikey isn't fit, if you could get him fit then offer him a pay as you play deal as cover. Pugh is past it. Forrester was a gamble. Most of his problems seem in his head. Hooper is not a natural footballer and has no confidence. That's down to the management to get the best out of him. Needed playing with an experienced striker to be his brain. Reminds me of Beckford in that respect. I suspect he's already got a move as hasn't seemed bothered for over a month. Kelly same.

What really annoys me with Brown is he kept complaining about lack of quality (the poor January signings, freezing out the foreigners just to save a few quid) injuries, (he was in charge for nigh on 5 months and the fitness only got worse as injuries were picked up) and now he's even getting his excuses in for next season! (about us lacking a core for next season) That's the job of a good manager. It shows that Brown isn't one. Coupled with his appalling record and terrible signings.

Dont we have to make Streete an offer at least the same as hes on or he can leave for nowt ....Could be wrong.

Obviously try to keep smith, streete and foley if possible.

Other than that I'd offer:

1 year deal to bikey

2 year to eagles

1 year to Thomas

Maybe 1 year to Pugh, still not convinced.

Other than that I'd let the rest go if reeves and Turner are out of contract I'd give them both another 2 years. I think the foreign lads are under contract for next year but if they are out I'd look at keeper de Freitas for sure, knopps possibly and kiko. Amaros I rate but hasn't had a look in so will move on, guessing Tavares and pereira also will. Release mbamba and shalaj, although he looked ok against Bolton.

I wouldn't keep Tomo,despite his qualities he doesn't play enough games for me and it won't get any easier for him in a lower league.

260 games in 16 years say it all for me?

Dont we have to make Streete an offer at least the same as hes on or he can leave for nowt ....Could be wrong.
What is the problem with that? Surely he is worth what we are paying him, why not more to keep him, he has proved himself surely.

What is the problem with that? Surely he is worth what we are paying him, why not more to keep him, he has proved himself surely.

Problem is the rumoured 130k is to much for a second division club you could get two Foleys for that price.

What we need are 3-4 players who can stick the ball in the net and create a few chances.

We'll also need a strong spine of a team and several six footers as it's going to be a very physical, aerial battle a lot of the time.

That was something that Adams realised fully. Get some lads like McCombe, MacDonald, Pope, Hughes, Purse, Griffith and Andrew in your squad. Win the physical battles first and you're halfway to success.

We've been a soft touch this season.

Agreed in lg2 you need a spine of battle hardened pros who can handle the physical battle and then add a sprinkling of young lads with pace and skill, I agree about the rebuild that is why I could maybe accept keeping 3-4 players as squad players(Purkiss,Kiko,Cicilia,Pugh) just so the rebuild is not too disruptive and we are improving what we have rather than starting from nothing, even though others might choose to release some of them mentioned, then we can concentrate on improving the first eleven as a priority with quality.

Spot on - lining up his excuses at this early stage shows a complete lack of confidence. If he's our manager next season (as looks likely), we're as good as done. Only at the Vale. Do we ever learn?

I think we have to look at it objectively the more I think about it.

We have to consider the fact League two is weaker than League One... no Bolton, Blades, Bradfords etc the quality we will face will be less.

Some players who maybe haven't been great this year may still have something to offer us a level below, Purkiss for example, we need some experience and to build around something as building a whole new squad will be difficult and the time to gel could cost us promotion.

Realistically it seems Streete and Foley are off so maybe makes sense to consider Purkiss and say Taylor at league two level.

Will be interesting to see the retained list and some who maybe didn't get a proper pre season fitness wise may do alright.

Personally think if Brown then Bikey, Pugh and Eagles will be offered something.

Archived