onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Paul Wildes

RichG

I have said now for a couple of years that you can only poke a stick at the lion for so long before it bites back those that want Smurf gone be careful what you wish for!!

If he just walks away admin won't be far behind!!

So when has he told you that he will leave?

Advert

And if he carries on we will be dwindling down to non league with even lower attendances and become the biggest joke in English football.We can't carry on like this there will be other buyers out there if smurf doesn't make ridiculous demands again.

Sure there are. They were queueing up last time..... Like the Icelandic's.....

I have said now for a couple of years that you can only poke a stick at the lion for so long before it bites back those that want Smurf gone be careful what you wish for!!

If he just walks away admin won't be far behind!!

No doubt you can't wait to say 'I told you so' once he decides to call it a day (irrespective of whenever it happens)

People with money do not generally let other people spend it, and someone as astute in previous business dealings pre-Vale as Smurf is probably the last person to let someone else spend his money badly.

Wildes had the vision to advise Smurf what to spend his money on, to ensure promotion was secured by signing Lee Hughes for instance, and if he had still been here a year ago it would have been a case of 'Bruno who?' and he would have stopped Smurf taking notice of a nonsense phone-call full of (allegedly) impossible to deliver temptations from Maureeno.

With Wildes guidance and Smurf listening and spending sensibly we may have been licking our lips at the top of the table, with the championship in sight about now.

Although I don't agree we'd have got as far as you suggest, the rest I agree with. Sadly, it appears Wildes went full on kid in a candy store and blew his chance by spaffing Smurf's cash recklessly

Some of the contracts Wildes dished out was ridiculous. Easy to overspend when its not your money.

You have figures and proof ?

I don't believe for one second that Smurf didn't agree to every single one of those contracts, even if some of them were too high. People on here are always saying we should be ambitious as well, if Wildes had stayed gates might be 6000-7500 now instead of heading fast towards half of that.

You have figures and proof ?

I don't believe for one second that Smurf didn't agree to every single one of those contracts, even if some of them were too high. People on here are always saying we should be ambitious as well, if Wildes had stayed gates might be 6000-7500 now instead of heading fast towards half of that.

Look at the Financial Statements and we lost a lot of money in the promotion season. If you can't make a profit when things are going well on the field you aren't going to do well. Paul Wildes ran the football club like a fan, he gave the best players he could the highest wage he could and reduced the entrance fee to attract more fans. I could do that with my business, I'm sure my employees would say I was great if I doubled all their wages and my fans or customers would love reduced prices. My wife would divorce me as I hand the keys over to the bank for the house but I'm sure everyone else would say what a great bloke I was and what a shame I'd gone out of business.

Unfortunately we'll never know the impact Wildes would have had long term. The way I see it he made investments during his time, longer term they may have saved money or increased income through ticket/merchandise/catering/hospitality sales. He spoke of ideas to make us a 7 day a week operation. That spending now looks risky and reckless, but the plans were never followed through. Instead they were replaced with the archaic lazy day to day stumbling Smurf. 4 years down the line and we're so reliant on Smurf that he needs to loan us £80k a month to avoid admin. Did Wildes sign us up to those reckless long term contracts, with no plan to draw in the money from increased revenue? I can't believe people support Smurf based on the fact that without him we'd go under. He put us in that position. Can you not see that?

Sent from my D6603 using the onevalefan mobile app

Archived