onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Get Adams back

jeff1966

I wouldn't mind him. He was brilliant for us other than the start of that season in league 1. Not the best football but he got us from struggling in league 2 to performing steadily in league 1 and did much more than just the football side of things. Don't usually want previous players or managers back but I'd certainly have Adams back in some kind of role at least till the end of the year.

Advert

Absolutely amazed the stick he gets.

Second to John Rudge as our most successful manager since Freddie Steele. Fact.

A win ratio of over 40% spanning almost 250 games.

Delivered our first promotion for two decades with great attacking football against all odds.

Held the club together when it seemingly was going to the wall.

Led us to 9th in our first season back in league 1.

Sadly he left after a bad spell at the start of next season but we were in nowhere near the state some made out. You're not in a relegation battle after 8 matches!!!

I'm not advocating his return but **** me, at least acknowledge that the man was a success here and give him the respect he so rightfully deserves.

WOW!! I totally agree with your post Paul I too thought he was the best manager we've had since Rudge he likes tall athletic fit players so unfortunately for us he'd have to get rid of most of them but at least they would be fit

First things first would be to shore up the defence stop us conceding with a few ugly wins

Plus you never knew what he was going to say next Lee Blakeman would be pleased I used to cringe at some of his interviews and he'd keep Norman in his place!!

WOW!! I totally agree with your post Paul I too thought he was the best manager we've had since Rudge he likes tall athletic fit players so unfortunately for us he'd have to get rid of most of them but at least they would be fit

First things first would be to shore up the defence stop us conceding with a few ugly wins

Plus you never knew what he was going to say next Lee Blakeman would be pleased I used to cringe at some of his interviews and he'd keep Norman in his place!!

You can certainly see the results since Adams left and Smurf had the shackles released, downhill all the way.

The squad is completely unbalanced and it needs an overhaul but there's nothing we can do now until the summer.

Ideally we needed an experienced goalkeeper, a strong defender who could play centre half or right back, someone to replicate Grant (Pugh might be able to do this to some degree) and an experienced striker who can hold up the ball and be an aerial presence.

Brown is experienced. So is Kelly. There are probably a few others helping out. Thomas and Pugh will contribute too.

It's more a lack of experienced leaders out on the pitch than one in the dugout. We all think we know best but Brown has played over 600 games at a high level and Kelly has experience.

For the best part of 75 minutes there wasn't a lot of difference last Saturday. But they had Maddison and knew how to manage the game by breaking up play, niggling fouls, playing the referee, time wasting and so on. I guarantee that they wouldn't have let Maddison run half the length of the pitch like that. Someone would have taken one for the team and pulled him back before he got into his stride. It's that kind of game management that we lack - knowing when to go forward and when to sit in, telling lads to get in the right position and maintain focus, staying goal-side of your man (which we didn't do for the 2nd goal), etc. That's where experienced vocal leaders come in and that's the issue we have on the pitch.

Anyone who slates Adams baffles me to be honest. He should be remembered in the way other legends of the club are for what he achieved.

We were heading for the non league when he took over and turned us around, maybe would of got us up had the Blunts not come in but regardless on his return finished the job in unbelievable circumstances before following it up with a solid 9th place finish in L1.

Rudge rightly will be remembered as the greatest but Adams at least deserves mentioning in the same breath.

Also I believe Adams coming to the club gave the fans more belief, our huge away followings seemed to stem from his arrival and have dropped since (now the atmosphere at the club is at a low ebb).

I would have him back at the club, even if only as a DOF to assist Brown and help develop him with his managerial experience.

Liked MA as manager , my mate who I go the Vale with detested him. I suppose that sums up the situation perfectly, MA is Marmite. He sits in the next seat to me watched the same matches as me yet has totally opposite opinion.

In fairness I thought we got the best out of Mickey, what he did for us in getting promotion in the financial situation we were in was no mean achievement. When he left I felt his powers were on the wain . However when he went to Tranmere told my mate who supports them he would keep them up. I was wrong and maybe Mickey had lost his mojo as far as football was concerned.

Archived