onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Smurfs Blueprint

Neatly summed up!

In pursuit of the drippy ethos of modern football, we've become a sterile shadow of what we had.

It was interesting to see that Huddersfield police/stewards/fans themselves coped with having fans separated by netting that could have been breached by a child. Lots of chanting and mickey-taking, but no bother.

We on the other hand can't handle a few dozen away fans without moving them up against a wall.

Lower-league football is dying on its feet, and it's no surprise when the grounds are like libraries.

If that doesn't include the nutters wanting to kick each others' teeth in then maybe that's a plus.

What a lot of people class as 'atmosphere' in fact dates from the late 60s/early 70s when tribalism/hooliganism was at its height and the 'banter' was between groups of young men who would half kill each other if they could.

Go back further to the 50s, before all that happened, and there were large crowds of people, drawn by cheap admission prices, that created an atmosphere without needing to kill anyone. If the football was good attendances went up, same as today. Sadly the end of the wage cap and the inflation of player wages killed off the cheap admissions, but relatively speaking the same holds - put in performances on the pitch and they'll come.

Advert

Not looking forward to tomorrow, can't be arsed.

Flat atmosphere guaranteed, I used to love that we had that little corner of singers in the paddock giving the away fans some grief. It's embarrassing now, just complete silence. Still people like REP will be happy now that the "mindless idiots" have all stopped going. This is what we're left with, 3000 old blokes and 500 of their sons who still feel obligated to go.

If they were indeed mindless idiots yes you are right I am, thanks for the name check :wink:

What a depressing, sad and frankly overstated post!

Obviously it was a little tongue-in cheek, I hope as there are many fans in attendance on a regular basis that defy your incorrectly stated opinion- there are young women, young boys and many others that are NOT "old blokes and their sons!"

Your choice not to go tomorrow because " you couldn't be arsed" but don't use an excuse like lack of atmosphere(in your opinion) as the reason not to support your Club.

Never said I'm not going, I am going-as always. Said I'm not looking forward to it and you are wrong. There are not many women and children, there are a few, the vast majority are older men in their 60s and 70s.

Sorry if the truth is sad and depressing.

Never said I'm not going, I am going-as always. Said I'm not looking forward to it and you are wrong. There are not many women and children, there are a few, the vast majority are older men in their 60s and 70s.

Sorry if the truth is sad and depressing.

That's not because we've thankfully lost the scumbags, that's because we lost a generation of fans thanks to Stoke doing so well and us being run by scum from 2003-12.

If that doesn't include the nutters wanting to kick each others' teeth in then maybe that's a plus.

What a lot of people class as 'atmosphere' in fact dates from the late 60s/early 70s when tribalism/hooliganism was at its height and the 'banter' was between groups of young men who would half kill each other if they could.

Go back further to the 50s, before all that happened, and there were large crowds of people, drawn by cheap admission prices, that created an atmosphere without needing to kill anyone. If the football was good attendances went up, same as today. Sadly the end of the wage cap and the inflation of player wages killed off the cheap admissions, but relatively speaking the same holds - put in performances on the pitch and they'll come.

I agree, and as a youth who grew up following the Vale I don't miss the indiscriminate violence that was par for the course.

But times have changed. Cameras, police and stewards everywhere have put paid to a lot of football hooliganism. Generally speaking, if you're not looking for bother you won't get it.

It's also worth saying that compared to many countries, football is extremely safe here.

All I know is, trying to sell the Vale as a new hobby for new potential fans is a VERY hard sell as it stands.

The rose tinted glasses have finally come off. Yes indeed ! After Saturdays visit to Huddersfield Town has shown what blueprint we are missing and desperately require to take us forward.

* Engagement of fans excellent match day experience generated

* lower season ticket prices attendances has nearly doubled

* cheaper walk in prices

* Atmosphere generated with Huddersfield loyal flags and drums hence Bycar's loyal

* Forward thinking manager good contacts proven track record

* Effective permanent and loan signings not smurf signing players

* Terriers identity attractive football

Simply Smurf is not a football man the fact he has signed most of these players is now clearly showing Bruno signed 3 players coming from a reliable source is an indication he needs to go the man is pulling far to many strings.

Thank you for saving the club but don't destroy the club. We deserve a chairman who is a forward thinking football man with good ideas taking the club forward. January is make or break for Smurf lets hope Smurf can turn this around for the sake of the fans and everyone related to the club

Lets be honest here and not over egg the pudding

* Engagement of fans excellent match day experience generated- fan engagement, like a supporters club and foundation to attract young fans...which we have?

* lower season ticket prices attendances has nearly doubled- season tickets have been lowered before and very little change in up take

* cheaper walk in prices- tried and hasnt worked so put back up

* Atmosphere generated with Huddersfield loyal flags and drums hence Bycar's loyal. Who is stopping anyone from doing that?

* Forward thinking manager good contacts proven track record forward thinking? like bringing in players who have played abroad who are technically good footballers and change the kick and run style of play maybe? be careful forward thinking isnt always great and doesnt always move you forward as we have seen.

* Effective permanent and loan signings not smurf signing players- effective? or good players, good players cost money...

* Terriers identity attractive football- club identities apart from the elite clubs are a load of tosh, look at where Crewes has got them...

Another happy positive thread the day before a game.. Really what is the point!

I feel for the decent posters on here. Get yourself on Twitter where there is much more positive news to follow rather than this tripe.

What's wrong with the opening post?

Flat atmosphere guaranteed, I used to love that we had that little corner of singers in the paddock giving the away fans some grief. It's embarrassing now, just complete silence. Still people like REP will be happy now that the "mindless idiots" have all stopped going. This is what we're left with, 3000 old blokes and 500 of their sons who still feel obligated to go.

If its all old blokes then a lot of them will ACTUALLY NEED TO SIT DOWN and won't need a lot of silly little boys standing up and ******* about in front of them!

Charming that is.........Those 3k you moan about have kept this club alive just because they don't spit venom at away supporters 50 yards away doesn't make them any less valuable, in fact a lot of the older guys I see on a regular basis in the Railway used to be in the Bycars literally defending it from the visiting crew. So a little more respect please.

Are there any new J V's out there what do you get on a Saturday match day, the old jvs before j.c. took over would have a kick around in the old gym on a Saturday morning have matches against away juniors away travel on there own coach be a mascot on certain matches, shoot outs at half time on main pitch etc, before jc took over there where around 600 members. what the membership know and what do you get on match days.

Archived