onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Smurfs Blueprint

Because I believe he shouldn't be on twitter doesn't mean I don't think he shouldn't be able to tell ****** where to get off.

Everyone has that ability, generally people who rely on customer support dont use it publicly because of the effect it has on their business...

Gerald Ratner is the most obvious example... "People say, "How can you sell this for such a low price?", I say, "because it's total crap"

Advert

The way I look at it after Paul Wildes persuaded Smurf to invest in Port Vale we moved forward at an exciting pace with shrewd signings like Hughes and training sessions at St George's which got us into the promised land of League one and with promises of heading 'full steam' for the Championship.

Sadly when Smurf looked into his bank account the cost of getting us promotion had dented it very badly and so he asked his then Chairman Paul Wildes to help him by investing some of his own money into the Club. Paul declined because he either hadn't or wasn't prepared to invest.

Since then the Club has ground to a halt because Smurf never realised that to continue to take the club forward he needed to pump more cash into what is after all HIS Club and unfortunately here lies the problem because I strongly believe that Smurf was lured into football thinking that the fans would cover the costs involved and anyone who can see further than the end of their nose can clearly see that this isn't the case. Simply take a look at all of the Clubs in the FL who are currently progressing and you will see pretty exclusively that they are the clubs that are being railroaded by a wealthy owner(s).

I don't know whether Norman Smurthwaite has the necessary cash to take us into the Championship or not but the price is simply 'chicken feed' compared with the current cost of keeping us there and to achieve the ultimate goal of Premiership status costs a Kings ramsome. Then once the Club has secured and established Premiership status, then Smurf's belief of him not having to fork out a fortune is largely true because at this time Sky & Co largely foot the bill.

Finally contrary to what some on here believe, I have no hatred of our owner. In fact I can't think of anyone that I feel that strongly about but I do dislike his general manner and many of the unrealistic quotes that he has so often made and the unfair criticism of the fans who are playing their part by still attending matches when so many have been driven away jointly by the owner's off hand comments and the team's current performances.

Comments like "you want to pray that I don't have a heart attack" which has been made on several occasions are totally uncalled for and very off putting.

'Respect can only be earned and cannot be demanded' perhaps our owner would be wise to remember that fact.

So are you lot who continue to blame smurf for everthing that happens to the club some people need to realise that smurf owns the club we don't you wouldn't keep abusing your local shop if they didn't have what you wanted or ask to see their accounts the negativity from a minority is affecting attendance some fans are sick of the infighting and the all round negativity I don't really care if you think your not affecting the club but you really are

I have to ask, you know people that aren't attending because of infighting, on OVF and social media? Are there protests at the ground that I've missed affecting the experience of attending?

Or, as is more likely, are you deflecting the blame for falling attendances from the real reasons?

I blame him for things and point out my reasons on a fans forum. I've never abused him. If he deserves praise, he'll get it. I care about Port Vale, not Smurf. Some however would still support him, even if he; seperated the club from the ground, divided the fan base, failed to attract new fans, failed to retain existing fans, insulted fans, made poor appointments...oh, he's done all of those things.

Sent from my D6603 using the onevalefan mobile app

He owned the club fact, his money facilitated signings that helped get us over the line fact, he helped keep Micky fact, the chairman has always owned the ground and club, the gates increased thanks to a promotion season - football fans the country over are fickle - you watch when we have another promotion campaign.

I'm not seeing any balance, still only constant criticism.

Right I'm off to the other side of the world, enjoy your constant happiness!

You're seeing more criticism because there is more to criticise than praise unfortunately. Debating the issues raised is fine, but it becomes quite obvious that you're struggling when your responses don't even acknowledge them. Cue responses with the usual, you have an agenda, Smurf is responsible for brexit, etc.

The facts, not assumptions, are that Smurf inherited a position of strength, and underestimated the task ahead. I remember his words in May 2013. It's quite simply, we need to sell more pies and alcohol, Audi Stoke etc. It was that moment that I knew he'd struggle with that approach. It's too simplistic and lacks the sophistication needed to make the club a success. If it was that easy, every club would be well run.

After that, the number of mistakes he has made have led us to this point. Poor marketing, arguing with fans, twitter, treating page disgustingly, JFH, putting the club up for sale and at the same time saying the fans beat him up (no record), Sentinel, budget threats when should be selling STs, Bruno, current squad etc.

All of these mistakes have led to a loss of confidence in his ability, which is completely justified.

*An almost unbelievable ability to spin things. Is Alastair Campbell a Vale fan?

Called realism and taking some accountability for the fans part in what goes on not just picking on the easy target Smurf

*The clubs a mess and presenting them like this won't get us anywhere. -

a mess compared to what? Coventry bottom of the league, Swindon not far above, MK Dons down there, Bury, Chesterfield, Charlton are stuggling. Some times Vale fans need to take stock of where they truely are....do we want to be better always, are most realistic absolutely not.

*The supporters club and foundation are non-entities.

but thats down to the supporters to back these initiatives, there's no point fans not getting involved and then moaning these things dont work properly or represent the fans

*When was cheaper walk in prices consistently enforced?

We've had multiple dips in walk up cost, at one point it was about £3 dearer not to have a ticket, that was scraped and the walk up price dropped.

*Flags and a drum wouldn't improve the atmosphere at Vale, too empty, too far from the away fans, not enough quality on the pitch.

I agree would look lame

*"Technically good footballers" is one of the most hilarious statements I've heard this week. Mbamba, Mac-intosh, and Cicilia are some of the most technically deficient footballers I've seen in a Vale shirt. And forward-thinking doesn't equal tippy-tappy. Huddersfield were fairly direct against us.

Easy to mention a couple of players, but lets be honest, Kiko, Tavares, Taylor, Amoros, Knopps and De freitas are better footballers than most of those that left barring O'Connor. But that has meant we are susceptible from set pieces and can be physically pushed out of games, ever likely Hudderfield played directly against us, I would do if I was playing against the Vale.

*Alnwick and Streete are what I would consider good players. They didn't cost us anything. Neither did Josh Morris, top scorer for 2nd place Scunny. There's good players about everywhere if we hadn't blown our budget on *****.

Total BS. Scunny pay more in wages than we do full stop. Over the last few years they have sold Billy Sharp, Martin Paterson and Gary Hooper all for 7 figure sums and played championship football, and you think we have similar to offer players??? Paddy Madden in their side cost £300k on his own. You are comparing a side geared for the championship in terms of finances to a side geared for league 1. Compare us to other mid table league 1 sides and the types of signings are very similar, maybe not where they came from but most side have a mix of freebies from old prem, foreign lads and non league hopefuls. When you don't have the money for a dead cert you gamble, gambles dont always pay off. Thats why sides with small budgets go up and sides go down, its the nature of league 1 football.

*I don't really know what a club identity is, but if you mean long-term planning, its gone pretty well for Huddersfield and Burton, to name a couple.

No people here are talking about an identity in relation to how we play (basically harping on about the 2-3 seasons under Rudge where guppy and mccarthy/ ainsworth where we played with pacey wingers that would cost easily a million each in todays market)

"Kiko, Tavares, Taylor, Amoros, Knopps and De freitas are better footballers than most of those that left barring O'Connor. But that has meant we are susceptible from set pieces and can be physically pushed out of games, ever likely Hudderfield played directly against us."

I'm afraid that bit at least isn't right.

They are not better footballers and in most cases are much worse. The likes of O'Connor, Dodds, Dicko and Moore are all superior to that lot - and have bags of experience at this level.

Huddersfield did not play a direct style of football against us. They played proper football, ball to feet, and played through us.

Just noticed the 17/18 season tickets have stayed the same price for a 5th year running. For REPs benefit and to demonstrate a degree of balance, I think this is a positive.

Lets take this point in time, the launch of next years season tickets, as the baseline for this particular initiative. I'll forget all that has gone on before now, wipe the slate clean and judge Smurfs performance during this critical phase. His actions and words between now and the new season should ALL be positive. Whenever he interacts with fans, he MUST consider that season tickets (vital income) are being sold.

He needs to be positive, but realistic, no promises or demands of Championship football. There's nothing wrong with saying that's what we're working towards, what we're hoping for, but don't over promise.

He needs to make a managerial appointment and work with them to promote next season as a new start for the club. Not one single word should come across as a threat. He can't keep on and on about next years budget, passing the responsibility on to fans. If he's learning from his mistakes, he'll know that approach doesn't work. If he doesn't like "building a buzz", tough. It needs doing.

I hope he makes it a success, I really really do.

Just noticed the 17/18 season tickets have stayed the same price for a 5th year running. For REPs benefit and to demonstrate a degree of balance, I think this is a positive.

Lets take this point in time, the launch of next years season tickets, as the baseline for this particular initiative. I'll forget all that has gone on before now, wipe the slate clean and judge Smurfs performance during this critical phase. His actions and words between now and the new season should ALL be positive. Whenever he interacts with fans, he MUST consider that season tickets (vital income) are being sold.

He needs to be positive, but realistic, no promises or demands of Championship football. There's nothing wrong with saying that's what we're working towards, what we're hoping for, but don't over promise.

He needs to make a managerial appointment and work with them to promote next season as a new start for the club. Not one single word should come across as a threat. He can't keep on and on about next years budget, passing the responsibility on to fans. If he's learning from his mistakes, he'll know that approach doesn't work. If he doesn't like "building a buzz", tough. It needs doing.

This.

"Kiko, Tavares, Taylor, Amoros, Knopps and De freitas are better footballers than most of those that left barring O'Connor. But that has meant we are susceptible from set pieces and can be physically pushed out of games, ever likely Hudderfield played directly against us."

I'm afraid that bit at least isn't right.

They are not better footballers and in most cases are much worse. The likes of O'Connor, Dodds, Dicko and Moore are all superior to that lot - and have bags of experience at this level.

Huddersfield did not play a direct style of football against us. They played proper football, ball to feet, and played through us.

Im afraid you are completly wrong. Dickinson was dire in his second season, Moore even worse in all the seasons he was at the club. Dodds has one good season in 9 and was offered a similar contract to his last one and chose to leave.

O'connor did nothing last season.

Glad all these players left the club, good riddence.

Yes fully agree lets wipe the slate clean, as the points you have listed,many mistakes,like you and many more lets hope he starts building bridges that unit us all. I'm sure we have all made decisions that we have regretted at sometime in our lives. I think he as got the Vale at heart.lets hope we can turn the corner together, regroup and go from there, as I keep saying only together will succeed , keep the faith.

Yeah. I back Smurthwaite but this is fair and constructive criticism and I agree with what you've said.

My real problem lies with the doom and gloom merchants who seem to just have no concept of the realistic ambitions of a club the size of Vale, and just where we've been throughout our history. We have to live within our means, I do not want a Sikh billionaire because it's everything that's wrong with football. Under Smurthwaite we've gone from administration in League 2 to a reasonably solid League 1 side. He's prepared to give money in January despite low attendances and is currently working on getting the right manager in.

Yes, he's naive in the press and what he comes out with, but it was great to hear him stand up to the police telling them they're not aloud in the ground and contesting the categories of policing etc. Little old Port Vale would never have done that before. He also does similar things with i.e. the council and The Sentinel. He's a guardian of our club and if he left tomorrow do you honestly believe there'd be someone better waiting? I mean honestly?

Archived