onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Matchday thread: Port Vale v Gillingham

robf

Thoroughly enjoyed that in the end! We were pants in the first half, playing with no tempo and constantly playing the ball back and sideways. I think some of the criticism of Paterson is a bit harsh because for the whole of the first half he rarely had another Vale player within 20 yards of him. We looked so much better when we went to 4-4-2 and the strikers were able to support each other.

I know Nathan Smith is getting a lot of headlines at the moment and rightly so, but Remie Streete has been a rock beside him and deserves just as much praise. It was great that we brought on sub who was old enough to have fathered both of them - and no, I'm not starting a vicious rumour Mrs Brown!!

Completely agree about both Paterson and Streete

Advert

A tremendous second half performance but why can't we start like that?

I felt at half time that too many of our players had failed to stand up to a very physical Gillingham side who also played some neat football. I thought the referee was naive and failed to spot that Gillingham were targeting Thomas from the kick off, and would have a go (foul, kick) at anyone who appeared to be a threat. In referee speak he showed good man management in his ability to keep 22 players on the pitch.

It seems that Streete and Smith are approaching the cult status of Aspin and Glover (not quite Cheadle and Sproson yet).

finally this generation has a team !!

This club has been a big part of my kids childhood. I know that in years to come we will be talking about Glover, Gannon, the protests, the marches, Mickey Adams (twice ), Page, Smurf, all those away games and now finally we have Bruno,...Don't say it too loudly, but get the feeling we could be at the start of a new journey, a new chapter,...bring it on, new memories to be made . UTV

We need to seriously be considering lengthening contracts and improving terms for some players. Anthony Grant was as always 110% today and we would look a vastly different team without him if he went elsewhere.

We have a great set of lads who appear to be playing for the "shirt" and not just for themselves like some players we have had previously.

Well done lads!!!

Really good second half today. Once we scored the first I knew we would go and get another with the momentum we had. First half was close not many chances from either team other than foleys header straight at the goalkeeper and us switching off from their training ground set piece. Thomas was excellent first half and got constantly fouled as the picture on his twitter shows. Smith, grant, streete, jones played very well second half and foleys corners were more dangerous than those from tavares. Thought the 2 substitutions were good from bruno and i think Cicilia should be started over paterson in the next game as he was far more effective. As for the ref I've seen worse he's not going to give every decision our way. But gillingham seem to have a habit now of taking down our left wingers.

I've just seen a picture of Thomas's leg after the match. What a mess! Gashed and bruised. When are decent players who have skill and speed going to be protected from persistent foul play?

Today's referee should hang his head in shame.

Now I know it's a physical sport and accidents do and will happen.

The consistent deliberate type of play demonstrated today must be stopped.

Which makes Edinburgh's comments all the more ridiculous. Even listening to commentary, I could tell that Gillingham were out to nail Thomas.

A fine 2nd half display by the Vale , and full marks to Bruno and the lads for giving it a real go, with a happy outcome.

Am i right in thinking it was Gillingham last season who set out to cripple Andoh,Edinburgh has shocking tactics.

A special mention here for Bruno who comes across as a master tactician,he knows how to change again with either subs or with the players on the pitch,he is fast becoming our special one

I sincerely hope that Bruno has learned that just like last season Foley and Grant worked better together when O'Connor was absent. Now it seems like it is the same when Tavares is in the mix. I'm not blaming Tav as he looks a good player but it's about balance and the change when he went off was amazing Foley turned from a poor player into a major force.

It is clear as day that Pato is no lone forward and the performance improved no end when Cicilia came on and Paterson was actually performing better after the big lads introduction until he was subbed.

That said the team's balance looked better after the first two substitutions plus the changes in formation. Jones looks far more dangerous in the middle rather than out wide where the new winger could be the answer there.

I sincerely hope that Bruno has learned that just like last season Foley and Grant worked better together when O'Connor was absent. Now it seems like it is the same when Tavares is in the mix. I'm not blaming Tav as he looks a good player but it's about balance and the change when he went off was amazing Foley turned from a poor player into a major force.

It is clear as day that Pato is no lone forward and the performance improved no end when Cicilia came on and Paterson was actually performing better after the big lads introduction until he was subbed.

That said the team's balance looked better after the first two substitutions plus the changes in formation. Jones looks far more dangerous in the middle rather than out wide where the new winger could be the answer there.

I thought Pato was better after the big guys introduction too.....as he was then sitting on the bench. Cicilia replaced Pato!

Excellent summary

Tavares is class imo. One of our best players.

Archived