onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

A 2nd referendum

TheJoker

Liberation from what, exactly? This day will go down in British history as the date on which we formally committed economic suicide. The true and lasting consequences of today's actions will not be seen tomorrow or for some considerable time yet but will be felt very heavily by the young of today and generations as yet unborn whereas many of those who voted for this event will be rotting in their graves leaving the future British to pay the price.

Better to get on with it then,"There's no turning back".:thumbs:

Advert

Liberation from what, exactly? This day will go down in British history as the date on which we formally committed economic suicide. The true and lasting consequences of today's actions will not be seen tomorrow or for some considerable time yet but will be felt very heavily by the young of today and generations as yet unborn whereas many of those who voted for this event will be rotting in their graves leaving the future British to pay the price.

Not that you're bitter :razz:

The EU has a big trade surplus with the UK. The European Commission will be insolvent when the UK leaves and needs to downsize with interim help financially from the UK. EU countries are highly dependent on the U.K. for security and defence etc. We have a bargaining hand that is considerable though not writing off the EU hand. My feeling is that the outcome will ultimately be fine with UK competitiveness improved, the EU is likely to either reform or break up.

In other words a government of the old, by the old, for the old?

The EU has a big trade surplus with the UK. The European Commission will be insolvent when the UK leaves and needs to downsize with interim help financially from the UK. EU countries are highly dependent on the U.K. for security and defence etc. We have a bargaining hand that is considerable though not writing off the EU hand. My feeling is that the outcome will ultimately be fine with UK competitiveness improved, the EU is likely to either reform or break up.

I wish I could share your optimism but I see little evidence for it. I can't see the EU allowing us all the economic benefits of the single market without us conforming to whatever they demand of us in terms of free movement of capital and people, for example. 44% of our exports go to the EU whilst only 16% of EU exports come to the UK (2015 figures) so our hand isn't all that strong. As for defence they will remain our allies but I doubt they'll feel the loss of our 19 capital ships, 6 subs and handful of largely outdated aircraft. Trump is likely to cause an increase in EU defence spending anyway as he doesn't want the US to keep funding NATO (probably rightly too).

I agree the EU needs reform and I think that will happen, ironically Brexit may well be a catalyst for that, however, I don't think the EU will collapse as the benefits for most Europeans are too great.

We'll have to see what happens but I strongly suspect a significant proportion of our future population will get gradually worse off and remain so for some time. 'More competitive' as you term it usually means less regulation, lower corporate taxes and minimal employment rights, terms and conditions for ordinary workers.

Ageism once again.First the elderly get blamed for the NHS problems and now for Brexit.

Have you ever thought that these were the same old people who voted 'IN' in the 1970's and then decided on 23rd June that they hadn't benefitted from being in the EU?

Ageism once again.First the elderly get blamed for the NHS problems and now for Brexit.

Have you ever thought that these were the same old people who voted 'IN' in the 1970's and then decided on 23rd June that they hadn't benefitted from being in the EU?

It's been shown that the leave vote was heavily weighted towards older voters who may or may not have voted to join in 1973. However, it has to be considered that a large number of the 1973 electorate have since passed away so a direct correlation can't be drawn.

BTW I'm not ageist or particularly young any more and I don't blame older people for the NHS crisis, there are many reasons for that. Also not all older people voted leave, I know a fair few octogenarians who voted remain. I told them before the referendum no one over 70 should have voted because they'll be dead before the consequences are felt! Maybe that's ageist?!?

I know very little about the issue but it does appear to me that the politicians of the other countries in the EU seem a darn sight more worried about our exit than the UK ones.

In regard to Scotland if they wish to leave then let them go because I'm quite frankly sick of the sights of Nicola Sturgeon and hearing her talking. Lets face facts they are so small a proportion of our population that we won't miss them apart from their whisky but I bet if it happens they will miss us a darn sight more. The truth is the EU doesn't want Scotland on her own.

I know very little about the issue but it does appear to me that the politicians of the other countries in the EU seem a darn sight more worried about our exit than the UK ones.

In regard to Scotland if they wish to leave then let them go because I'm quite frankly sick of the sights of Nicola Sturgeon and hearing her talking. Lets face facts they are so small a proportion of our population that we won't miss them apart from their whisky but I bet if it happens they will miss us a darn sight more. The truth is the EU doesn't want Scotland on her own.

Two big issues here to do with money

The EU is facing a massive financial loss due to us leaving as we are a major contributer to there slush fund also Scotland will be bankrupt wen we cut of there subsidies and leave them to the mercy of the EU Bankrupcy squad

That's democracy, you vote for what you want, perhaps all those remainers did.nt bother to vote cause they did' think they would lose... this is the first day of the rest of your life and future. Accept you lost in a democratic vote, join us and take the fight to Brussels...

Liberation from a failing political union. In two years we will join the rest of the world.

It's fantastic.

I wish I could share your optimism but I see little evidence for it. I can't see the EU allowing us all the economic benefits of the single market without us conforming to whatever they demand of us in terms of free movement of capital and people, for example. 44% of our exports go to the EU whilst only 16% of EU exports come to the UK (2015 figures) so our hand isn't all that strong. As for defence they will remain our allies but I doubt they'll feel the loss of our 19 capital ships, 6 subs and handful of largely outdated aircraft. Trump is likely to cause an increase in EU defence spending anyway as he doesn't want the US to keep funding NATO (probably rightly too).

I agree the EU needs reform and I think that will happen, ironically Brexit may well be a catalyst for that, however, I don't think the EU will collapse as the benefits for most Europeans are too great.

We'll have to see what happens but I strongly suspect a significant proportion of our future population will get gradually worse off and remain so for some time. 'More competitive' as you term it usually means less regulation, lower corporate taxes and minimal employment rights, terms and conditions for ordinary workers.

Whilst I'm a remainer it wasn't for those reasons. given we will never know what would have happened economically if we'd stayed in we can't say that leaving will ultimately be worse for us long term.

Archived