onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Aged Care Homes in Stoke - Advice needed

The_godfather

My gran, who is 91, has got deteriorating dementia and is no longer able to live in her own home (in Brown Lees). My parents live down south now and haven't lived in Stoke for 30 years, and my gran won't be able to come and live with them, and will need to move to a local care home.

Does anyone have any experience, or could recommend any good ones to consider please? (or indeed ones to avoid!) My parents are in the process of looking at some recommended by the hospital she is in currently. I think they are looking at Springbank in Knypersley first.

Would appreciate any feedback that anyone has - I live overseas & am not able to help out. PM me if you want to.

Thanks to anyone who can offer advice!

Advert

The one by holden lane school, used to be holden lane pub I think, on the way to milton [swamp fishing pool] has been recommended. A friends aunt has been in there some time but it isnt cheap.

Not been to see it myself but doesnt sound bad with own rooms and shower/bathroom... activities, days out, hairdresser etc.

Good luck with the search.

The one by holden lane school, used to be holden lane pub I think, on the way to milton [swamp fishing pool] has been recommended. A friends aunt has been in there some time but it isnt cheap.

Not been to see it myself but doesnt sound bad with own rooms and shower/bathroom... activities, days out, hairdresser etc.

Correct Geo, used to be Holden Bridge pub, corner of Berwick rd Leek new rd about 200 yds from where I'm sitting now.

Good luck Godfarther,its a minefield,if your Gran has any money ie owns her own home savings investments etc expect her to bled dry approx £550-£950 per week,that obviously restricts where you choose and unfortunatly the cheaper ones are not as good.

If your Gran has less than £23,250 you can choose where you like within reason, I must add its over 2years ago my Mum was in care and I think that figure could have gone up.

Good luck I hope you go on ok.

I have an aunt suffering from dementia she's been in the Poplars Nursing Home in Alsagers Bank for 2 years. We visit her 3 or 4 times a week and I can praise the care she receives highly enough. All home cooked food and a homily atmosphere.

Seconded, my grandfather was in there until his passing.

I don't have any recommendations but you do have my understanding and sympathy the_godfather.

It's something I am looking at for my parents (my dad has Alzheimer's but it's reasonably manageable at the moment so fortunately there's no urgent rush) and I know what a minefield it can be.

So I wish you the best of luck!

My friend's Nan is in Florence House Porthill.No complaints.

My mother-in-law was there for 2 years before she passed away last November. The place isn't one of the more expensive ones and looks a bit old inside compared to the many spanking brand new ones that have opened lately, like the one in Hanford, but they are a lot more money anyway. There's another impressively new one on Longton Road. We visited a few before going with Florence House, but it's been there a while and superficially doesn't look as nice.

We were pleased with the care she had there. The staff are good and she seemed content in her surroundings.

These issues are tough to deal with because they can't get 24 hour care every minute of the day and sometimes you think why didn't they do X, Y and Z but unless they've got a staff-patient ration of 1:1 I'm afraid on occasions you will wonder why didn't they do something to assist her but overall the place looked after her well and she was 'happy' enough there.

Hope you can sort it out.

As mentioned the CQC website is a good place to start with some basic research. Go through some of the reports on the homes you shortlist.

I work for a company that provides training and advice and guidance for care homes in Shropshire. I'm not sure what the system is in Stoke/Staffs but you should be able to get a brochure through the local authorities that lists all the different homes and services they provide?

A similar organisation in Staffs is SARCP they may be able to point you in the right direction with advice more relevant to Stoke-on-Trent

http://sarcp.com/html/choohm.html

Archived