onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

The Next England Manager

Advert

Surely some of our resident 'experts' who waffle on here continuously about how they know more than experienced managers and what teams should be picked should be applying for the position?

Don't spoil it again D@P,it's a decent thread this.

A certain welsh guy not doing a bad job within them valley's

Whilst not advocating Chris Coleman for our next manager I have to say I was mightily impressed by his game plan and tactics last night. Realising the limitations and strengths of his squad he had them keep possession and take the pace of the game away from Belgium's technically superior team, protecting players like Gunter and Taylor from having De Bruyne, Hazard et al constantly running at them. The corner routine Ashley Williams scored from was superb and exposed Belgium's central defensive weakness with them having injuries to key defenders and then when their chances came Wales used their top skill players like Ramsey and Bale to get forward quickly and punish the Belgians. Robson-Kanu's finish was something else but the fast break and Ramsey's excellent pass were what made it. It was a similar story for the Vokes goal. A thoroughly deserved victory and certainly no fluke, achieved with a squad of players who most would consider having no chance of making the England squad and there's the difference - they are a TEAM and play to their strengths whilst having a PLAN to counteract the strengths of their opposition, everything England lack and have done for years. (Wales will miss Ramsey big time in the semis).

England have good players to choose from so the abject failure we see in every tournament has to be down to the blend of players selected and how they are coached / managed. I don't think it's down to a lack of effort on the pitch but I do think we have a problem with some players as regards their inflated egos. For me the core problem is the FA and secondary to that but as a consequence of poor choices made by the FA the manager / coach. This time they have to get it right but looking at the men choosing the person to fill the position I have very little confidence, they'll have someone who will continue to accept their influencing who's picked for England in tournaments so we'll continue to see things like Jack Wilshere playing when he's obviously not good enough and players out of position when we've left ideal candidates for those positions at home. I just hope I'm wrong and that doesn't continue.

I've always believed that you should be English to be a part of the English set up, whether that be playing, managing or even the kit man. Whatever your role you are representing your country (I don't like the fact that they can use grandparents to qualify for other nations. And lets be honest, if it wasn't for that rule the Welsh team would have looked a lot different throughout the years).

Having said that, sadly there isn't an English manager that stands out. There are perhaps 3 or 4 that merit consideration but no candidate we're all clamouring for. If we were to go for a foreigner then my personal choice would be Klinsmann, and certainly not Wenger. If Wenger can't sign a few fellow Frenchmen he doesn't know what to do!

Everyones falling for the trap of its got to big a big name,no it hasnt whats required is a coach who can motivate and organise, I would ignore the bertie big bo//ock players and come down a rung or two and choose players who would be honoured to play for their country and who would espect a manger who knew what he was doing.

Its useless trying to motivate this bunch,they dont need the money and they dont need the plaudits I would go for hungry lads in the Premier and Championship,those who want to make a name for themselves.

For goodness sake why do we have to have a non national manager,are we that devoid of talent.

You're spot on.

The problem we've got is, like the players themselves, there are too many foreign managers in the top flight and English managers don't get an opportunity of managing a top team.

I think it was Sam who said a few months ago that he can see a situation soon when there are no English managers in the Premiership.

Allardyce and Pardew are better managers in my view than Coleman and he hasn't done too badly because he's stuck to a plan and not played people out of position.

I agree with you, Mario, getting the team organised, playing to a set plan and motivating them are the keys to success.

You're spot on.

The problem we've got is, like the players themselves, there are too many foreign managers in the top flight and English managers don't get an opportunity of managing a top team.

I think it was Sam who said a few months ago that he can see a situation soon when there are no English managers in the Premiership.

Allardyce and Pardew are better managers in my view than Coleman and he hasn't done too badly because he's stuck to a plan and not played people out of position.

I agree with you, Mario, getting the team organised, playing to a set plan and motivating them are the keys to success.

But are not most clubs foreign owned, therefore will go for proven managers, with Champion League experience, so does not give much scope for English managers. Teams promoted may give managers the chance to develop, or are we likely to have to settle for Championship managers, with a team of a few stars and continuity the priority for the rest.

Part of the issue with the English National team is that England could field four or five teams at least of similar standard to the one that played at the Euros but most other countries just have one or two. What is missing is someone to choose the right players with the right chemistry to knit together with the right tactics to form an excellent team.

The theory that English/British players don't have the right temperament for major tournaments is bunkum, Wales have just shown that.

But are not most clubs foreign owned, therefore will go for proven managers, with Champion League experience, so does not give much scope for English managers. Teams promoted may give managers the chance to develop, or are we likely to have to settle for Championship managers, with a team of a few stars and continuity the priority for the rest.

Basically then what you are saying is Sky have shafted our National team no opportunities for English managers or players.

Its Sky's money that has encouraged this chase for glory and money.

Archived