onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Page to Northampton

Jacob_123

If we had 10 times the support, the few dissenters would show up less.

It's not that there are only 7 or 8, but that those 7 or 8 are relentless and post incessantly every time the slightest thing goes wrong, they gleefully jump in and heap blame on anyone they feel like and loive doing it.

Still, you should know that already, nice to get thanks from your Dad - he is your father, or are you going to deny that ?

Those few people definitely had an influence on RP leaving, whether directly or indirectly, and will probably make the next poor sod's life a misery as well.

One rule I have is never to make anyone s life a misery if they are already doing it so well for themselves.

Advert

Get the right manager who has experience could actually help Smurf sell season tickets. Go for the cheapest option and those waiting to buy their tickets will keep their money.

Ainsworth or Adkins could be good options.

I'm not sure why some have an obsession with Ainsworth. What has he achieved as a manager? Four years in Division Two isn't it?

Adkins has also had two very recent failures.

Having said that I have to admit that everyone's guess is as good as mine because finding a good manager is very difficult indeed and for every good one we've had in my time supporting the Vale I could name four terrible ones.

The only sensible advice I'd give is to pray. No-one knows how it will pan out but it's the most important signing a club ever makes.

Skybet Micky Adams favourite at 2/1 followed by Martin Allen 9/4

Not a massive fan of Allen but apart from at Cheltenham and Notts County his record isn't to bad to be fair,has Brown any connection with him.....IF he ever came though i hope he would bring Akinde with him.

It would be interesting to know how and when the squad were informed of Page's departure. Assuming most of them are on holiday, they may well have heard of his departure indirectly - or, perish the thought, he knew he was going ages ago and told them at the time.

Something he said about Andoh's offer of a contract read a little strangely to me - it seemed to say "Vale owe him a contract", not "I'm looking forward to working with him again next season".

I guess we'll never know - and as much as I admired his efforts here, I'll delight in taunting him if we beat the Cobblers next season.

I'm not sure why some have an obsession with Ainsworth. What has he achieved as a manager? Four years in Division Two isn't it?

Adkins has also had two very recent failures.

Having said that I have to admit that everyone's guess is as good as mine because finding a good manager is very difficult indeed and for every good one we've had in my time supporting the Vale I could name four terrible ones.

The only sensible advice I'd give is to pray. No-one knows how it will pan out but it's the most important signing a club ever makes.

Ainsworth is always a fan obsession, I wouldn't touch him with a barge pole

One rule I have is never to make anyone s life a misery if they are already doing it so well for themselves.

I doubt there's anything more miserable than constantly moaning about something that in no way concerns you. Why on earth would anyone do that?

Oh, hang on.....

So he's gone. It's a shame but it's not the end of the world in terms of him as a manager. He had moved the squad in the right direction and the players seemed to like him but he is a replaceable manager and his tactics and retained list decisions haven't always been an indication of a top class manager.

A few things though:

a) I think he's left on bad terms to some degree. To say one day he wasn't interested in a move away and there was nothing in it the go 48 hours later is poor.

b) We know why he's gone. Budget cuts and a difficult chairman. He obviously believes he has a better shot at doing something down there.

c) Who will he take with him from the playing staff. Dicko and Oaks could be definite candidates and I would be surprised to see him after Duffy, Dodds, and Ajay too. Maybe even Andoh. I know Northampton won't have space for all but I'd be surprised if one or two aren't on his list.

d) As for replacements I wouldn't be gutted to see Brown take on the role short term but he doesn't really have a ready made squad at his disposable or the backroom staff so it would be very tough. I'd love to see Adkins get the job but I fear he's out of our price range.

I thought Oaks wanted a move nearer his Lincoln home not further away.

For me the reason Page gives for leaving is most illuminating:

The Sentinel quotes Page "Having met with Kelvin Thomas and listening to his vision for the club and how he conducts himself, I think that is a massive reason for coming here”

There are two issues here. Firstly, Page seems to suggest that the vision and leadership at Northampton is much better than at Vale. Secondly, there is a fundamental difference in the way the two chairmen “conduct” themselves. We are left to make up our minds on what that might mean, but I would suggest we wouldn’t have to look much beyond Maidenhead & Exeter away for an answer.

Page calls this a “massive reason” for leaving Vale and heading to a smaller club? A smaller club, yes, but one with greater ambition and better leadership?

How will Smurthwaite react? Will he put together a plan to prove Page wrong and ensure Vale finish above Northampton next season, or will he once again throw his proverbial dummy out of the pram and blame the fans again.

Ahh…the soap opera that is Port Vale continues.

It would be interesting to know how and when the squad were informed of Page's departure. Assuming most of them are on holiday, they may well have heard of his departure indirectly - or, perish the thought, he knew he was going ages ago and told them at the time.

Something he said about Andoh's offer of a contract read a little strangely to me - it seemed to say "Vale owe him a contract", not "I'm looking forward to working with him again next season".

I guess we'll never know - and as much as I admired his efforts here, I'll delight in taunting him if we beat the Cobblers next season.

Smithie we should be guaranteed at least 1 home win next season:-)

Archived