onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Page to Northampton

Jacob_123

Come off it Alan. You didn't want him here but your're disgusted that he's had the temerity to leave for a better job? If you are in a job you are entitled to apply for another job. If another company wants you they can ask your employer for permission to speak to you. If your employer says bugger off, end of discussion. If your employer wants you to stay he may discuss matters with you and see if there is a way forward in your current job. If your employer has been trying to get rid of you he will bite their hands off at the prospect of some compo.

Would you stay where you weren't wanted and where you were undermined constantly by the bloke at the top?

I would say it is more the manner in which he says 'I've had no contact' when he obviously has, and the travesty of a retained list.

I personally have no issue in the fact he's gone, but I understand the OP's point that he could have been either a bit more honest at the fact he wanted a move or had had some bigger balls regarding the retained list and leave us in a decent position for the new manager.

Advert

Not really bothered about him going.

Seemingly nice guy, eloquent and young.

I'm just ******* disgusted the way that he's gone about things this last week or so.

The biggest worry now being the guy who makes the decision about his successor.

Simplistic view, Smurf threatened to sack him publically on at least 3 occasions I dont blame the bloke ,looking for security and a 3 year deal ...plus a chairman who is prepared to back him.

He probably had not spoken to Northampton it would have been his agent on his behalf.

Smurf should be ashamed of the way he has dealt with his manager and it will not have gone unnoticed in the football world.

I would say it is more the manner in which he says 'I've had no contact' when he obviously has, and the travesty of a retained list.

I personally have no issue in the fact he's gone, but I understand the OP's point that he could have been either a bit more honest at the fact he wanted a move or had had some bigger balls regarding the retained list and leave us in a decent position for the new manager.

True if everything was done through an agent. His retained list was his plan, before the vacancy came up. Pipeline players I assume Glover had earmarked. Would you give loyalty to Smurf after Page`s treatment?

True if everything was done through an agent. His retained list was his plan, before the vacancy came up. Pipeline players I assume Glover had earmarked. Would you give loyalty to Smurf after Page`s treatment?

No not Smurf, more of the fans.

Page knows Yates and Birchall aren't good enough. If he doesn't I fear for Northampton.

Even if there has been contact with Northampton through his agent he would know.

I like the man, and hope he does well, and I do feel for him working for Smurf, but I just think he could have handled the last week far better than he has done.

I hope its not Adams.

What do people expect Page to say when he's asked about another job? He can't come out and say "Yes my agent is talking to them and I'll be off soon".

Also with his retained list some of you are talking like hes done a bad one on purpose to leave us in the ****.

I'd agree with earlier posts that players like Dicko, Duffy, AJ maybe on his radar now, especially if they can offer more than whatever the new Vale offers were to these lads.

Re the retained list. I would assume that work has been ongoing with that for weeks. Bear in mind that Wilder didn't leave Northampton until the Wednesday after the Walsall game so I'm not sure what Page was supposed to do - he had to work on the retained list on the assumption he would be at the club and players needed to know what was going on. Should he have just ignored the issue of the retained list on the assumption some job would have come along within a few days and he would actually have been appointed to it?

With regard to his "no contact" statement he should perhaps have said something like "it's just press speculation". He certainly couldn't say "Yes, I've applied for the job or yes they've tapped me up" whichever way it happened. A fib perhaps but hardly along the lines of having a meeting with a dead chairman!!

Shocked RP has gone to Northampton and very bad timing for the Vale. Cool head needed Smurf, no one is irreplaceable, I'd like to see someone who's got a good track record at this level, someone with a name like Nigel Adkins or similar who'll persuade the like of AJLS to stay and pair him with Michael Brown if that is what Browny wants. Touchy time ahead for the Vale.

Hope page doesn't take the likes of AJLS with him.

Re the retained list. I would assume that work has been ongoing with that for weeks. Bear in mind that Wilder didn't leave Northampton until the Wednesday after the Walsall game so I'm not sure what Page was supposed to do - he had to work on the retained list on the assumption he would be at the club and players needed to know what was going on. Should he have just ignored the issue of the retained list on the assumption some job would have come along within a few days and he would actually have been appointed to it?

With regard to his "no contact" statement he should perhaps have said something like "it's just press speculation". He certainly couldn't say "Yes, I've applied for the job or yes they've tapped me up" whichever way it happened. A fib perhaps but hardly along the lines of having a meeting with a dead chairman!!

Why would it be bad to say that if that's exactly what's happened?

Why would it be bad to say that if that's exactly what's happened?

Seriously?

Even though tapping up goes on in football whilst players or managers are still in contract, Northampton would face some kind of action for that if it came out.

Plus if he did come out and say "I'm talking to Northampton" and it fell through then he knows he's pissing off and unsettling the Vale fans and players. Theres no way you'll find anyone come out and admit they are looking elsewhere. Also clubs would not want their potential targets being known in the media.

Archived