onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Page to Northampton

Jacob_123

I think ainsworth is the most realistic we can expect if we're appointing from outside. I'm assuming contracted though so I think even there we're pushing it.

Bracing myself for the brown announcement.

As much as I like the guy I'd be concerned.

Advert

Having thought about it, I doubt Smurf would throw Brown right in the deep end. I'd quite like Adkins with Brown as his assistant, remembering that the only reason Page got the job was because he had done well under Adams.

Smurf came to Vale originally because of Adams based on the original tales at the time. He never seemed convinced by Page and does seem to like an experienced "name".

Please not Michael Brown!!!!

We need some experience in what could be a very tricky season and I don't want a bloke just because he's cheap and maybe looking to get into management.

I'm sure some Bournemouth fans said this about Eddie Howe. Whoever gets the job deserves support and judgements shouldn't be drawn on anyone before a ball is killed.

What really grates, on a personal/ selfish level, is that Page had won me over. If you asked me twelve months ago about this I'd have been delighted but not now. As many have said, I'm really concerned about who will get the job now even though Smurf got it right last time, for me.

Brown is an absolute warrior on the pitch and I know the players have nothing but respect for him. Whether that's enough, let's just say I have my doubts. We're due compensation so why not spend it on experience with Brown as assistant, to really learn his trade. Page couldn't offer that as he was learning too, which is another reason I don't think Brown is ready.

Whatever happens today, there'll be no talk about season ticket buying being brought into question by me. I'll be there next year I just hope it's more Page than Glover/ Gannon

I'd be disappointed to loose page but I am really hoping we can hold off the contract offers so whoever does come in can build a squad of there own. The budget is tight enough without the dead wood of birchall, Yates, Llyod and Johnson. That will surely bring in one quality free transfer for the new manager to play with? Maybe that's the striker we so desperately need.

Can't see why RP would go to Northampton unless it's a massive salary increase and/or he's had his fill of Smurfs budget pontifications.

If RP does go I hope Michael Brown has an Assistant Manager role paired with an experienced guy like Nigel Adkins or the like.

I think this is close. Could you work for Smurf?

What really grates, on a personal/ selfish level, is that Page had won me over. If you asked me twelve months ago about this I'd have been delighted but not now. As many have said, I'm really concerned about who will get the job now even though Smurf got it right last time, for me.

Brown is an absolute warrior on the pitch and I know the players have nothing but respect for him. Whether that's enough, let's just say I have my doubts. We're due compensation so why not spend it on experience with Brown as assistant, to really learn his trade. Page couldn't offer that as he was learning too, which is another reason I don't think Brown is ready.

Whatever happens today, there'll be no talk about season ticket buying being brought into question by me. I'll be there next year I just hope it's more Page than Glover/ Gannon

Football is great, it's all about opinions isn't it. I was willing to give Page a chance at the start and quite liked the guy, but the opposite to you I began to get bored and irritated by his tactics away from home mainly. I also think Brown would do a great job how about Brown with Porter and Foyle in his back room staff. I know it's old boys network but Foyle and Porter do have good outside experience.

Brown may also unlock some good contacts at high levels

Im not sure smurf will spend the money on a "name"... unless it comes out of a reduced budget which will leave bugger all to pay players with.... unless the weak ones stay at a reduced salary... hope its going to be good news.

The timing worries me as well.

There's a danger of a rushed appointment as I can't see our better players signing when we don't even know who's going to be in charge.

We also need someone in to start building a squad. There's not actually much time from now to pre season really.

Worried

The bit that gets me is the sudden change around.

He had been linked to other manager jobs and said there was nothing in it.

So he was staying at Vale and sorted out his retained list.So he was still staying,sorting out the squad that he wanted for the coming season(fair enough)

Tuesday there are reports that he is lined for the Northampton job.Page tells us via the Sentinel(tuesday night).There has been no contact.Jump forward from Tuesday to Wednesday afternoon.Its suddenly gone from 'No contact from Northampton' to he is joining Northampton.So it went from 'No contact' to joining in 24 hours or less.That seems to have been sorted rather quick.

Has this been going on in the background all the time but was played down?

Did they need permission from Smurf to talk to Page first as he was still under contract?

I say lets give the job to Brown, It's a no brainer, he will stand no nonsense from his players, he knows the club, the players respect him, also he should be aloud to bring in his own backroom staff. So come on SMURF give him the job.

I say lets give the job to Brown, It's a no brainer, he will stand no nonsense from his players, he knows the club, the players respect him, also he should be aloud to bring in his own backroom staff. So come on SMURF give him the job.

Is he too close to the players ? And will he command respect ?

Archived