onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Peterborough 2 Port Vale 3, Post match delirium

Fosse69

Thought I was going home at 04:15 it was that bad from Vale in defence. Totally dominated the 2nd half, but Theo is way too far behind this season to catch up, and JJ Hooper looked very lively. Sam Kelly also very lively with some nifty skills and set up Dodd's, (who was at fault for not tackling for the 1st goal), who finished with a rocket. The usual McGivern foul on the edge of the box brought a match winning save from Chris Neal just before the end of the match, but ended up a very happy drive home.

Ray Williams stated today Vale fans should start looking at McGivern in what he gives in the game and stop criticising. Good point in my eyes.

Advert

A magnificent 3 points from the lads today after a very poor first half when I thought it was game over. They scored after breaking from one of corners, thought that Dodds should have brought their player down instead of allowing him to get through and cross for the goal. The second was really poor defending and Neal should have done a lot better as well.

Second half was a completely different team, we completely dominated, especially when we brought JJ on for the ineffective Theo, not sure what Theo offers to the team. JJ fully deserved his goal and was a real handful, their defenders couldn't seem to cope with him. We had a number of chances after scoring the first, Byron Moore should have scored again, a great ball in from McGivern for the second goal and we got the winner with a deflection but thought we deserved it after showing great fighting spirit.

The win can only give us so much confidence going into next week, massive match against the team top of the league but were at home where we should fear no one, Bradford in 6th away at Wigan as well, I said a month ago season was over, glad I am been proved wrong.

We attacked from the start and were caught on the break. Still attacked, lost Inniss and were caught again. We allowed ourselves to be bullied but after half time came back and began to compete. A two footed slide tackle by Theo Robinson helped to turn the game. We started to shoot and both Grant and Foley held the ball and took men on. The supporters helped by not moaning when something did not come off and encouraging the team instead. In the end we held the ball in the Peterborough area with numerous shots and efforts until Byron Moore hit a cracker from the edge of the area. Peterborough became nervous and Westley tried the usual tactics of time wasting - men lying down for no reason, numerous lengthy substitutions - which worked until five minutes from full time when Foley & McGivern combine to work some magic on the left wing, McGivern crossed and Hooper scored with a fine glancing header. There was just time for Dodds to blast in the winner in a goal match scramble before the fourth official signalled 5 minutes extra time. This was seen off with some stern defensive work and a couple of interventions by our number one keeper. We ended the game as we started - on the attack. A tremendous team effort in which all played a part, including the substitutes. No carping criticism but particular praise for Grant (as always), Foley, Moore, and McGivern.

Great win at a place we don't generally get much from.

The cynic in me can't help thinking that as everyone seems to be on a high tonight thinking of the playoffs, Smurf is at home writing some sort of press release, ready for Monday about how he can slash the budget even more, trim another 4-5 players from the squad of 18 he informed us a few weeks ago, while also trying to find some other things to blame the fans for.

Hope we don't all come back down to earth with a big bump early next week! Fingers crossed eh!

The dreams still on after that last five minutes and it's up to the players, staff, chairman and fans to get behind the push and build the buzz to see where it takes us.

If we lose the end battle to finish sixth as long as we've given everything over the next nine game then we can be proud and look forward to next season but maybe... Just maybe we could pull this off.

Time for the fans to ditch the negativity, the chairman to ditch the PR disasters and Page to ditch the negative away tactics (seems to have done that today already) nothing to lose let's just go for it and see where the ride takes us.

I do think that Page deserves so much credit.

Practically every player signed pre-season has been a resounding success

The existing squad have also improved (although Duffy seems to be sliding back)

He seems to be learning from his mistakes

He's conducted himself superbly in the face of the chairman's bizarre and destructive comments and behaviour

Team spirit seems to be superb

His willingness to share out the praise when we get great results like today

The way he goes out of his way to look after his players

Best home form in decades

I think we need to get him on a longer contract. I think the majority of teams in this league would be quite happy to have him as their manager.

Archived