onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Page Sacked (Rumour)

Samwelo

Advert

You can understand Smurf's negative reaction to today's dismal performance. He's put literally millions of his own money into the club and this season it's running at £80,000 a month. Like anyone else he expects a return on his investment and today's result must feel like the last straw. A good cup run was a golden opportunity to bring some excitement back to our season and some money into the coffers but, from all accounts, the players couldn't be bothered.

It's clear Smurf feels some responsibility himself but, for me, the lack of motivation of the players is quite simply down to the the manager. One of my close colleagues (a Brighton season ticket holder) told me this week that despite virtually having the same squad as last season, their play has been absolutely transformed which, she said, is simply down to the manager. If Page can't organise and motivate the players for such an important match as today, he has no one to blame but himself if Smurf decides to sack him.

Whatever happens, I hope Smurf stays - much better, in my view, to lose Page than Smurf.

We wouldn't have been the same number as Exeter would we?

Lee Blakeman's just tweeted

Completely agree.

Still playing toss though. Away from home we literally don't stand a chance. Our tactics don't allow us to hold the ball up or even counter quickly enough and our defence is too poor to defend solidly for 90 minutes.

At the start of the season we played some lovely stuff but that's too long ago now. We're far too one dimensional to be consistent. I do sort of feel as though sacking Page is over reacting but the football is bland and predictable. It's actually really boring.

I'm all for attractive passing football but we're too lightweight at both ends of the pitch. I think Page is far too similar to MA with regards to tactics. The change in management hasn't really changed anything. We need a fresh start - but whether that is now or at the end of the season remains to be seen.

Guest TommyMac

I will say this about Page - he's managing a team that is probably as high as we've been in the football league for 12yrs so things aren't as bad as some people make out.

..... or since we finished 9th in 2014 ;)

What brakeman knows about football can be written on the back of a stamp. No wonder you agree with him ;)

You could say the same about the chairman, indeed he has said so himself on several occasions. I'm disappointed, not overly surprised but the pros of keeping Page still outweigh the cons of paying him off and letting Smurthwaite hire some other herbert who is out of work for a reason.

Ahh the two-faced beauty of the FA Cup. It does like to provide banana skins, drama and outbursts. And let's be honest, over the years Vale have been on both ends of these kinds of games. I do think this alleged outburst by the chairman is at the very least unprofessional, but as a Villa fan too I can honestly say I'd rather have a chairman who gets passionately actively involved rather than doing sod all as his team looks at the drop.

I was never keen on Page's appointment, and I'm still not. However we are mid table in League One, we come from an area time forgot that is massively struggling economically, affecting crowds (And I imagine, recruitment to the club). I don't see what Page brings to the table, I don't see what the players are trying to do beyond picking up a pay slip. What I see is a club that's suffering with a hangover after some shocking times in the last decade. We had that brief joy of promotion, and now we're settled back into mid table mediocrity (albeit in a higher league). I'm not trying to defend him, more ask an open question - are these players capable of progression? If not, does Smurf have to pump more money in? Is Page the right man for the job, absolutely not. Who then, can click with the club?

It could be worse, we could be bottom of the league, out in the first round, in administration, managerless. Instead we're not too far off a play off place - If we act sooner rather than later and get rid of Page.

Archived