onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Thur 19th Nov 2015, Maidenhead v Port Vale, pre-match comments, the match itself

Fosse69

Advert

Every one of those chosen to play in this game has to be on their mettle. Words are cheap, but no doubt RP will attempt to get the squad to realise we have to battle hard and for the ENTIRE match to beat these plucky non leaguers, who will be VERY up for this infront of a fervent, tightly packed crowd on an awkward pitch and in an interesting atmosphere.

Any player not giving their all, in my mind on Thursday doesn't deserve to be a Vale player. This is a real opportunity to get Vale some desperately needed cash from future ties( 2nd round is patently winnable too in the right framed of mind, perhaps after a replay?). The extra revenue from Cup ties has to be used by us to secure front runners who can put the ball in the net and finish off a steady, reasonable season.

Would be nice to see Vale sell out their allocation as it seems from Maidenheads' site that they are very confident of selling all their tickets. A packed Valiant crowd may just give us the advantage to spur the lads on.

Something note able to me is that we lost our shape with substitutions in the first match and some reports from Barnsley say the same. I think we should go with Dodds and AJ , play it on the floor and keep that shape. It's worked against Shrewsbury, Maidenhead and Barnsley now so leave Uche in the bench, particularly if his head isn't right.

Maidenhead came unstuck yesterday and lost away 3-1. Although that was their first loss in 9 games, maybe it will have dented their confidence a little? However as I'm sure Rob Page + players will be aware, Maidenhead has nothing to lose and everything to gain on Thursday and will no doubt be really up for the game.

Maidenhead came unstuck yesterday and lost away 3-1. Although that was their first loss in 9 games, maybe it will have dented their confidence a little? However as I'm sure Rob Page + players will be aware, Maidenhead has nothing to lose and everything to gain on Thursday and will no doubt be really up for the game.

From chatting to one of their directors the game was touch and go whether it would go ahead because of a poor pitch and a much underperforming H&W (who included Marvin Morgan and Brian Stock in their side) played an exceptionally physical game and the MUFC players were obviously keen to avoid injury given what will possibly be the biggest game of their lives on Thursday. They are very much up for it do I hope we are.

Page has to be very clever in his team selection for me with a League game less than 48hrs after,so i would maybe play Hooper,Birchall,Yates(even if Purkiss is fit) put Foley back in the middle and Daniel on the left...rest O'Connor,Purkiss,Moore,AJLS or Dodds ready for Chesterfield

Agree with that, wonder if Neal is ready for a game too?

I'd go;

Neal

Yates

Duffy

Streete

McGivern

Moore

Grant

Foley

Daniel

AJLS

Uche

Page has to be very clever in his team selection for me with a League game less than 48hrs after,so i would maybe play Hooper,Birchall,Yates(even if Purkiss is fit) put Foley back in the middle and Daniel on the left...rest O'Connor,Purkiss,Moore,AJLS or Dodds ready for Chesterfield

Totally disagree!

Vale need the cash injection a FA Cup run can give especially as we have a real chance of getting to the 3rd rounds now in playing the non leaguers and Exeter. With the revenue of the wins/TV appearances surely RP will spend it wisely in getting a much needed goalscorer to complement the squad?

Why drop some of our better players because we have a game on the Saturday in the League(where we are comfortable at this stage of the season)?

Priority for me is the FA Cup at the moment. If Vale go to Maidenhead with the attitude they can "rest" several 1st Teamers then we will get beat!

Totally disagree!

Vale need the cash injection a FA Cup run can give especially as we have a real chance of getting to the 3rd rounds now in playing the non leaguers and Exeter. With the revenue of the wins/TV appearances surely RP will spend it wisely in getting a much needed goalscorer to complement the squad?

Why drop some of our better players because we have a game on the Saturday in the League(where we are comfortable at this stage of the season)?

Priority for me is the FA Cup at the moment. If Vale go to Maidenhead with the attitude they can "rest" several 1st Teamers then we will get beat!

I agree with that, page should have the players cutting back on the strenuous stuff in training over the next week or two, any one who has ever done any sport will know that a game/ race is worth much more than training.

If we loose to Chesterfield we have many more matches to reclaim the points and still make the play offs.

Loose to Maidenhead and we are OUT of the OLDEST CUP competition in the WORLD and to a NON league team.

Despite and apart from the problems with corners, our defence has been strong this season. I don't think this match which is crucial to the manager and the club is the right one to change that defence any more than is necessary.

The Purkiss or Yates decision depends on Purkiss' fitness.

Changing the keeper or any of the other defenders at this point is far too risky though, and in front of them Foley, Grant and Okey should run the midfield. Moore played well enough to keep his place, so that just leaves the other 2 players, which is a far more difficult choice.

Ajay and Dodds is most likely as a starting pair, and least risky as Uche seems to have lost his mojo since that horrific sending-off farce, and JJ will surely get a game soon, but if he starts this one and is ineffective, that wont do him or the club any good. There will be plenty of tired legs at home to Chesterfield less than 48 hrs later for him to replace and get a good 35-40 minute runout, if not a start.

For me, Uche would be nowhere near the first eleven on Thursday. I'm struggling to remember his last effective appearance - 4/5 weeks ago perhaps?

A note to Mr Page: Just because Uche is on the bench it does not mean we HAVE to bring him on, This should only happen if he is going to be effective... and at present, he is anything but.

Archived