onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Congratulations to Jeremy Corbyn

mr.hobblesworth

I don't actually think renationalising the trains is that bad IF the service improves.

What I'd object to is leaving ourselves with no defence (that's not the same as selling arms overseas which is deplorable and I think we are second worldwide on that list), printing money to get ourselves out of the mess Labour spending put us in and most of all to working for around 10p in the pound.

Remember, all animals are equal, it's just some are more equal than others.

The next few months will certainly be interesting.

Quantitative easing is something the coalition utilised. The last bout was three years ago.

Advert

I am thrilled!

Port Vale have a 100% record under JC.

On a serious note, I found it inspiring and invigorating to hear a Labour leader state "We don't have to be unequal, it doesn't have to be unfair, poverty isn't inevitable - thinks can and will change.". Corbyn is a huge gamble and the odds are stacked against us, but what have we got to lose?

Why he is he always described as "principled"? He has always been a serial rebel to all other Labour leaders ever since he has been an MP! He is also described by some as "authentic" as opposed to the 'plastic' politicians--all well & good but "authentic" is totally irrelevant when what he says is mostly plain wrong at best and barmy at worst! As many of the former shadow cabinet members are showing by their refusal to serve under him, no amount of rallies and flag-waving by Mr. Corbyn and his left-wing friends, are effective as an opposition. Labour can only have relevance as an opposition if they are serious about wanting to eventually be in a position of power. There is no indication that Jeremy Corbyn is suitable or capable of appealing to the majority 'middle-ground' needed to win an election nor holding the government to account as a serious opposition! With the announcements filtering through this morning of the calibre of individuals' being offered shadow cabinet posts, looks like a ragbag of people not really up to the job or not quite knowing what they are doing! Although I naturally lean to the centre of politics, I also strongly believe that all governments (of whatever political persuasion) need to be kept properly accountable and therefore for me, it is a very sad situation, as I believe sincerely that under Jeremy Corbyn and his motley crew, this will sadly not happen!!

Not a Labour supporter (or indeed any particular party) but I'm glad Corbyn got in. UK politics is pretty grey with no-one really taking any sensible alternative to parliament.. Even centre Labour has become a soft Conservativism (a hangover from the Blair New Labour era) - made plainly clear with the last election I think with the toes of policies being stepped on by all sides. Having an opposition that is a genuinely ideologically alternative can only be good surely.

60% of the voters want the Labour party to become a workers party once again in the most traditional sense. I find it interesting that the voices of the opposing 40% speak of coups, rebellions and plots yet fail to realise that this is pricisely why the Labour party has failed in recent times- by not listening to voters. The 40% are basically telling the 60% you have got it wrong. Fine if that's the case but if you disagree so vehemontly with the direction of the party then have some balls and leave the party altogether or leave your personal feelings aside and do whats right for the party. Perhaps your politics aren't Labour after all and maybe Liberal is where you should be...

Shoe on the other foot ... how would the Labour Party look if the 40% got their middle of the road grey puppet in power and the Unions decide to leave Labour because they want to stick with their own man. Bye bye Labour - financially and democratically.

Corbyn hasn't split the Labour Party. He's united 60% of them. If the career politicians could look beyond their own expenses and media careers then this alledged split will disappear.

Not a Labour supporter (or indeed any particular party) but I'm glad Corbyn got in. UK politics is pretty grey with no-one really taking any sensible alternative to parliament.. Even centre Labour has become a soft Conservativism (a hangover from the Blair New Labour era) - made plainly clear with the last election I think with the toes of policies being stepped on by all sides. Having an opposition that is a genuinely ideologically alternative can only be good surely.

60% of the voters want the Labour party to become a workers party once again in the most traditional sense. I find it interesting that the voices of the opposing 40% speak of coups, rebellions and plots yet fail to realise that this is pricisely why the Labour party has failed in recent times- by not listening to voters. The 40% are basically telling the 60% you have got it wrong. Fine if that's the case but if you disagree so vehemontly with the direction of the party then have some balls and leave the party altogether or leave your personal feelings aside and do whats right for the party. Perhaps your politics aren't Labour after all and maybe Liberal is where you should be...

Shoe on the other foot ... how would the Labour Party look if the 40% got their middle of the road grey puppet in power and the Unions decide to leave Labour because they want to stick with their own man. Bye bye Labour - financially and democratically.

Corbyn hasn't split the Labour Party. He's united 60% of them. If the career politicians could look beyond their own expenses and media careers then this alledged split will disappear.

That's fine and all well & good if you're happy to appeal only to your own like-minded people! For Labour to ever get into government again, they have to have policies and ideas that appeal to 'middle England' and that certainly ain't going to happen by moving to the left!

That's fine and all well & good if you're happy to appeal only to your own like-minded people! For Labour to ever get into government again, they have to have policies and ideas that appeal to 'middle England' and that certainly ain't going to happen by moving to the left!

I agree entirely. 60% of the Labour party certainly isn't enough to win a national election. However if it makes opposing Labour members and perhaps supporters from other parties question their policies or their own political support they may be a valuable opposition in the mid term.

Breath of fresh air, a shake up of the establishment, who knows where it will lead? Change is certainly needed, surely having fewer MPs and more unelected lords is hardly democratic. Hopefully will interest more younger people in voting instead of having a government elected by mainly pensioners in the 24% who could be bothered to vote this one in. When we have a federal government with regions/states (PR voting) of similar size to London, who will collect VAT and spend it as their delegates decide then we are closer to democracy, than the current house of so called lords. Of course parties would be publicly funded, not at the beck and call of unions and bankers/foreign media owners. Not really interested in the policies of the parties in the current parliamentary system.

I am thrilled!

Port Vale have a 100% record under JC.

On a serious note, I found it inspiring and invigorating to hear a Labour leader state "We don't have to be unequal, it doesn't have to be unfair, poverty isn't inevitable - thinks can and will change.". Corbyn is a huge gamble and the odds are stacked against us, but what have we got to lose?[/QUOTE]

The next election?

Serious answer, I think Corbyn will possibly be ousted before the next election but I recognise and applaud the fact that, like Farage, he at least stands for something unlike most of our grey uninspiring party leaders who give us no clue as to what they actually believe in.

Yes, congratulations to Jeremy, and to Andy Burnham for joining his shadow cabinet.

Just bleating that he is unelectable won't stop him, people will listen and see he is a man with a mission and an honest man.

A well known quote is "a week is a long time in politics", nobody can forecast what can happen in 4 years surely?

I am going to ignore all the hysteria by all the right wing, that was to be expected as it threatens all their interests.

I think it is a fresh approach with open ideas and consultation on policy, all of which is outside the norm of politics.

I do not share all of JC opinions but I think with a wide scope of opinion on the front bench he can carve out a good opposition. If he was a politician in Europe he would be classified as centre left but as we live here and such is the power of the right wing press he's a loon. I am more than happy to sit back and see how this develops instead of complete hysterics before anything has been done.

He was 200/1 to become leader. Funny how the bookies make him 7/1 to become PM in 2020.

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."

Trident, NATO, maybe. Doubt the latter would or could happen; my initial reaction is that I'd be delighted if we got rid of the former. Renationalising essential public services? Great.

You see, I think this is extreme...

They dont all need to use food banks, many of them end up with no food because they refuse to work and have grown used to spending tax payers money on holidays, cars, mobile phones, x boxes, large screen TV's, hair extentions, make up, fake tan, fashion, nights out and etc and now their benefits have been cut they prefer to keep all of the above and go without food.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/sep/12/child-soldiers-arms-fair-trade?CMP=fb_gu

I think the fact that, in the 6th or 7th wealthiest country in the world, people are so destitute that they need to use foodbanks, is extreme. I think people killing themselves because of cruel and ideological cuts to welfare is extreme. I think that the way the latest budget has impacted worst on single working parents is extreme.

But, no, you get upset about a man wanting to renationalise the trains.

I am more than happy to sit back and see how this develops instead of complete hysterics before anything has been done.

[/i]

Indeed. Previously he has been a man on the periphery of his own party. Now he's the leader and it'll be interesting to see how he changes, as he quite obviously will in some aspects.

I await to see the policies set out by his shadow government and explains how he can achieve his objectives. He's been very good so far at setting out his beliefs and explaining the reasons for said beliefs. Partly, I think this is how he has become so popular, as his opponents in the electoral campaign weren't as open as he was.

I'm not necessarily a big fan of his overall viewpoint, although there are a few things I could get on board with. Whatever happens, he'll bring the left back to the forefront of British politics.

I predict that there will be several "quiet" meetings to get rid of him. Its dangerous because of his mandate and who actually gave it to him, not the sitting MPs but the labour party members... if you rattle their cage they will bite where it hurts most, at reelection time.

Whatever he does will be seen as wrong by some similarly whatever he doesnt do will too.

Labour have been rubbish at being tories for years, new labour was partially new because it left its old grass roots behind and embraced the power of office, implemented policies put forward by tories to stay in power and never looked back at the ethics of what labour used to be.

Personally I dont think he has a hope in hell of even pulling his own party around to the direction his history would suggest and I think the person who will eventually bring him down will be himself.

MPs are not honest... if they were they wouldnt get reelected.

Prospective MPs are not honest because they want to be MPs

Archived