onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Unbelievable ...

You obviously know **** all then

What I know is that the chairman does nothing but pump his own money into the club!! What do you know of Glovers contract? Can we afford to pay him off or has Norman offered him a role to see out the rest of that contract!! You cant wait to have a go.

I reckon you sit on here all day waiting to say words like alienate!

This is a non story really, hence the small the article in the Sentinel. Only OVF could make it something more than it is and overly negative.

It wont have any affect on who comes in or our results so please get over it!

How about concentrating on the fact that we have signed four players that have improved the squad and that we have now a good assistant manager, a goalkeeper coach with pedigree and on Tuesday we hired a performance coach! Dean Glover is 100% irrelevant to our upcoming season!

Advert

Glover is the chief scout, essentially a demotion from previous roles whilst he sees out the remaining time on any current employment term.

A scout will, be nowhere near the first team, nowhere near the reserves, and nowhere near the youth academy.

A scout, will be driving around the country having picnics on a Saturday afternoon and hot Bovril in the depths of winter.

On the off chance he discovers any potential talent, any recommendations will go through the like of Paul Bodin, Rob Page and Norman before being considered.

Paul Bodin no doubt already has players in mind, as do Rob and Norman.

Glover is merely on un-official gardening leave.

Glover is the chief scout, essentially a demotion from previous roles whilst he sees out the remaining time on any current employment term.

A scout will, be nowhere near the first team, nowhere near the reserves, and nowhere near the youth academy.

A scout, will be driving around the country having picnics on a Saturday afternoon and hot Bovril in the depths of winter.

On the off chance he discovers any potential talent, any recommendations will go through the like of Paul Bodin, Rob Page and Norman before being considered.

Paul Bodin no doubt already has players in mind, as do Rob and Norman.

Glover is merely on un-official gardening leave.

Spot on! Some plebs on here cant wait to berate the chairman.

"Hi Dean. Thanks for coming. Please do take a seat. We'd like to change your role to Chief Scout."

"Great. I've good a good eye for players"

"I'm glad you think that way. We'd like you to travel through Eastern Europe and Russia looking for players."

"Ok how long for?"

"The remainder of your contract."

If only. Get this bad news away from the club - if as said ^^ its an unofficial gardening leave then its a nicely weighted political move.

Great player. Worst manager ever. Even the way he treated Rob Taylor still gripes me.

Look at the majority of my posts and you would realise I am 90% positive about the chairman.

If you think the use of the word "alienate" is out of the ordinary then I can only presume you're 12, although that would explain why you have no contempt for that leech who would stand there every week, with that gormless look, blaming everyone abut himself including the fans, for his obvious short comings. It's got nothing to do with money, it's principle; he doesn't deserve a single penny more from Port Vale and the sooner he's gone, the better

Look at the majority of my posts and you would realise I am 90% positive about the chairman.

If you think the use of the word "alienate" is out of the ordinary then I can only presume you're 12, although that would explain why you have no contempt for that leech who would stand there every week, with that gormless look, blaming everyone abut himself including the fans, for his obvious short comings. It's got nothing to do with money, it's principle; he doesn't deserve a single penny more from Port Vale and the sooner he's gone, the better

I don’t think the word is out of the ordinary but inappropriate. Norman tries as much as he can to not alienate the fans. Something else that people have had a go for. Sometimes it seems he cant win.

I have no contempt for Glover at all. He was a terrible manager and made some awful decisions and stuck by his employers which ended his relationship with the fans. It was a terrible period for the club but we have moved on and taken massive leaps forward since then. Yes its not great that he is still on the pay roll but I can guarantee you that he will have no input on the day to day running of the club!

I don’t think the word is out of the ordinary but inappropriate. Norman tries as much as he can to not alienate the fans. Something else that people have had a go for. Sometimes it seems he cant win.

I have no contempt for Glover at all. He was a terrible manager and made some awful decisions and stuck by his employers which ended his relationship with the fans. It was a terrible period for the club but we have moved on and taken massive leaps forward since then. Yes its not great that he is still on the pay roll but I can guarantee you that he will have no input on the day to day running of the club!

From the way he treated Foyle, Porter and Sinnott, I hope Pagey has got his Kevlar on under his training top.

I#'m not disregarding the strides forward the club has made since Glover was in charge but I refuse to accept that someone so entrenched with the old regime and has done nothing but mess things up has got another ****ing job with the club. He wants putting out with the bins

It's sad to see the vitriol poured on a truly great player from our most successful era in modern times.

I would like to have a bug planted near the Vale bench to hear if/what input Glover has during games.

In his defence (pardon the pun), Rudge probably signed as many stinkers as Glover has....no club or scout is exempt from failing in that department.

Either way, we have no choice now but to back him.

Ultimately if we win the first six games the last thing on our minds will be who the scout is !

The most rational comment so far!

But I thought it had been said that Glover's contract expired this summer anyway so is this actually a new contract rather than the continuation of another one by a different name???

I personally don't have "contempt" for him either but more pragmatically, how and why has he got the job?

I'd be happy if he's been considered alongside other candidates and proven to be the best and most qualified for the role. But as he's not got a great transfer record as a manager and was not a success with his tactics (part of the scouting will be, I presume, to check out the next opponents and work out tactics) it's not clear what skills he demonstrated to get the role.

If it's simply a "cheap" or "easy" choice for a role that is crucial to the club - then that's very short-sighted.

For instance, I'd rather wait for the right person to come along or even have a part-time proven scout (such as Rudgie being paid for the odd scouting trip and player tip) than simply appoint an unqualified person just for the sake of it.

I don't have contempt for Glover. I don't know him. I sincerely hope that for the good of Vale he proves the doubters wrong, but I don't think with his past record and actions you can blame the fans for being unsure about this move.

Glover was wrong as he was a key part in the power stuggle that went on within V2001, from towards the end of Foyle's management until he was sacked. He was wrong and completely fell out with Foyle and Porter as a result. To a degree he reaped what he sowed as by the time he took over the club was in so much turmoil no self respecting player would touch us. He was a good player because he was an intelligent reader of the game, not any outstanding physical attributes. The only permanent signing he made was Owen (was decent), Lee Collins (from his loan) and organised the pre-contract agreement with Yates, who was a decent rightback in Div 2. Marshall was ok but there were some bad loan signings, but getting decent players in to a club in turmoil would have been very difficult. Glover junior was a promising young player who Foyle gave a contract to a year early because Liverpool were in for him. What promise he had was destroyed over the Sinnott/Glover and Porter/Glover period. It was shocking that none of the youth team that did so well in that era never progressed to become first team regulars and that was a failing in the club and in part Glover, but Glover had been part of the youth team which developed them in the first place. Yes he ballsed up and was to blame in a large part for the state the club was in when he took over. Did he make mistakes ... yes, should he be allowed to manage or probably coach the first team on a permanent basis ... for me no. Is he qualified to look at how teams set up formations and report back and spot a few decent players the manager might decide to sign ... for me yes.

Good post and as with all the back room appointments and player signings Page will live or die by his decisions and their results.

Why are people presuming he is just running his contract down. Nothing has shown that to be the case. Wishful thinking doesn't make it true.

Also, the idea that his appointment is irrelevant is ridiculous. Unless we assume that role has been a waste of money all these years, why bother. He will recommend new players, loan players, and his reports about opposing teams will have a direct impact on how we set up and the match day tactics we employ. The idea that he is just being given a wage to do nothing is bizarre.

Archived