onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Performances vs results

RayWalkers40yarder

Dire football ? Give over you can tell they are trying to play a more possession game what would you prefer Adams hoofball and a shocking home record ?

Totally agree with this,it will take time for them to adjust and I believe it will be next season when it bares fruit after a good pre-season with a squad Page wants,i am more than happy with where we are going

Advert

The team has shown more grit, determination and spirit in the last three games than they have in the last three years. They are taking games by the scruff of the neck and forcing results. Under Micky I doubt we'd have got 4 points out if those games because they had no plan B and just folded under pressure.

I'll take that over clean sheets and fancy football

I think it's clear Page has a philosophy on how football should be played (the right way) and he's trying to create a team to play in this way. What bugs me is that he's obviously told the players to keep the ball, pass it about and play out from the back, but when there is a backwards pass and the ball goes from right back to left back via the central defence, and then onto O'Connor or Brown, fans get on the players back. Mental. It's better to keep the ball for a start. Secondly, how often do you see an Arsenal goal etc raved about on TV when there have been 30+ passes and the ball has gone back to the defence on numerous occasions?

I much prefer the football on show under Page than the antiquated hoofball Adams was so fond of.

ok so were currently playing dire football at home but winning games. this is a long debated topic discussed probably by most football sides. would we prefer to play flowing great football and lose games or play like we did again today and scrape 3 points?

/discuss

(my opinion from an entertainment point of view its not going to bring walk in fans running the club but the results you cant argue with)

Dire?? Rather harsh, yes it's not Brazil but we're playing ok, games are entertaining and good to be at.

Reality is we are not going to play great stuff every week. Difficult 1st half yesterday, but with Pagey's philosophy of trying to keep the ball rather than just lumping it up the pitch we came through unscathed (thanks to the excellent Neal and the grit and determination of Brown and O'Conner). Improved 2nd half, helped by the fortuitous weak back header, but overall kept them on the back foot until late on.

Under Micky we would have been out of the contest by half time. Under Page we have a plan that is working most of the time, and where he had a Plan B at half time because yesterday it wasn't.

Dire's the wrong word.

I've come away from the last three home matches feeling as though we'd done some good things, some bad things, and had been a little bit lucky to get the three points. But we must be doing something right somewhere to be that lucky that often.

I think it's clear Page has a philosophy on how football should be played (the right way) and he's trying to create a team to play in this way. What bugs me is that he's obviously told the players to keep the ball, pass it about and play out from the back, but when there is a backwards pass and the ball goes from right back to left back via the central defence, and then onto O'Connor or Brown, fans get on the players back. Mental. It's better to keep the ball for a start. Secondly, how often do you see an Arsenal goal etc raved about on TV when there have been 30+ passes and the ball has gone back to the defence on numerous occasions?

I much prefer the football on show under Page than the antiquated hoofball Adams was so fond of.

Agreed 100% Some fans moaned when we lumped it forward under Adams and now some moan that we pass the ball about. I feel we are much better to watch now and I like to see us keep the ball. This system is still new to some of the players and they are still adapting but over all its a great improvement. Tactics wise You can see Page can often change things around when things aren't working. Sometimes the team doesn't always perform aka Coventry and Chesterfield but Page is new to the managers role and he can only get better and if he can bring his own players in to add to the better ones we already have then we maybe in for a realistic shout next season.

We get on their backs not because they are playing it out from the back ..... but because we all know they aren't' Arsenal and are Devin useless at passing the ball to a teammate. :D

It may be interesting to see just how we play when Tom Pope is back to full fitness........assuming of course he gets picked. Without him we have played a different game and although I like Tom and believe we need his goals I can't see us playing with a 'Target man'.

As to Performances v results, well in my opinion Rob Page is fighting for his managerial career and doing a pretty good job of it as far as I am concerned. Results are more important considering they aren't his players but they are definitely playing for him and battling hard - it may not be pretty but it's effective.

No probs for Popey BHF. He has an eye for a pass as good as anyone at the club.

Page will play Pope in Williamson' s role thereby having someone who can hold the ball up as well as play the one two's with Dodds.

Williamson will take N'guessan role and add pace to the role plus I expect Ben to cut in for the flick on from Popey.

What we gain 100 per cent is a excellent header of the ball in the box. With Pope' s proven goalscoring record and Williamson' s New found confidence I think they will become an awesome pairing for the run-in.

Archived