onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Performances vs results

RayWalkers40yarder

ok so were currently playing dire football at home but winning games. this is a long debated topic discussed probably by most football sides. would we prefer to play flowing great football and lose games or play like we did again today and scrape 3 points?

/discuss

(my opinion from an entertainment point of view its not going to bring walk in fans running the club but the results you cant argue with)

Advert

ok so were currently playing dire football at home but winning games. this is a long debated topic discussed probably by most football sides. would we prefer to play flowing great football and lose games or play like we did again today and scrape 3 points?

/discuss

(my opinion from an entertainment point of view its not going to bring walk in fans running the club but the results you cant argue with)

Dire football ? Give over you can tell they are trying to play a more possession game what would you prefer Adams hoofball and a shocking home record ?

I think it is all about winning. Individual performances don't stick long in the memory, but looking at the league table and seeing a side 8th as oppose to 15th may persuade a fan to go to a match - especially towards the business end of the season.

Bar the top 4, the rest of this league is pretty garbage. There's no harm in grinding out wins so that the last half dozen home games look as though they mean something. The fanbase as a whole don't believe this side is good enough to challenge for the playoffs, hence why our crowds are 1000 down on where they were two seasons ago (in the lower division). If we're still within touching distance come March time, the penny may drop that we've got a chance and fans may start flocking back.

Personally, I've got 5/6 games that have a question mark against them going into the last few months of the season. If we're in contention for the top 6, i'll attend. If there's nothing on the game, I won't bother. There's plenty like me.

I think it is all about winning. Individual performances don't stick long in the memory, but looking at the league table and seeing a side 8th as oppose to 15th may persuade a fan to go to a match - especially towards the business end of the season.

Bar the top 4, the rest of this league is pretty garbage. There's no harm in grinding out wins so that the last half dozen home games look as though they mean something. The fanbase as a whole don't believe this side is good enough to challenge for the playoffs, hence why our crowds are 1000 down on where they were two seasons ago (in the lower division). If we're still within touching distance come March time, the penny may drop that we've got a chance and fans may start flocking back.

Personally, I've got 5/6 games that have a question mark against them going into the last few months of the season. If we're in contention for the top 6, i'll attend. If there's nothing on the game, I won't bother. There's plenty like me.

Don't turn up we never win when you come

Crewe looked quality last year, we need to make up for last year and the match at their place which was embarrassing. Attack them from the start, early goal and we will win. It's a real chance to establish a top 10 finish IMO. Performances have been good at home IMO, not outstanding but tactically page seems to be weighing up the opposition well, all except for Coventry. Take the Rochdale game, that wasn't a great game to watch but tactically we were spot on and that's very important. Page in home matches has been spot on the majority of times, it's away from home where we need to be a bit more adventurous against the better sides.

It's a no-brainer really, this thread. How many fans will come to see flowing football that sees the team beaten every week? Believe me, it wouldn't take long to get down to just over 3,000. Winning is the right habit to have, and not many teams are able to do that week in week out. Vale have just won 4 games of the last 6. That's automatic promotion form. Would people prefer to see the Vale on a 6 game losing streak and stuck in the bottom four all season?

What Page has done is fantastic, and long may he continue. He's still working largely with somebody else's squad, but has dragged us up from 23rd in September to 9th today. We're getting there, and as we hopefully continue to improve, more fans will come along and I believe performances will also improve.

We're playing far more football than under Adams but apart from the hardcore, people will always come to watch a winning team. See the crowds against Burton and Northampton and the unwashed coming out of the woodwork to watch Pulis's assault and battery Stoke team.

Archived