onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Smurf disgusted with 'away only' Vale fans.

JYVALE

The paddock is the best stand in the stadium?
Most people prefer to watch the game from the side, which on lots of grounds is more expensive than the ends, as the Vale used to be in the 50s. Bycars must have similar sound characteristics to the Hamil, why not make it a couple of £s cheaper to boost the atmosphere with more using the end?

Advert

I agree that the Hamil End is a bit more plush but you can't see the scoreboard from there, that is a consideration from a marketing perspective. The scoreboard is used to promote events and display personal messages which are aimed mainly at home fans. Scoreboard could be moved but it adds expense.

I do agree in some ways with what smurf said the way he said it was a crazy but there are fans that do go away matches more than home games I work with one yes he buys the home/away tops but we need fans attending home matches more regular. we have wanted a owner who would back our manager financially well smurf as done that we need more fans to turn up now and show him that we back port vale fc. I get that its expensive to go games and a pain in the backside having to get a ticket before the match maybe that will change soon but we need more fans at home games im sure we can support our team whatever position is in the league and actually our home form under rob page as been brilliant and we are scoring goals and looking a good team. smurf should have put a totally different way he should have been saying we need you not go and support another club

Most people prefer to watch the game from the side, which on lots of grounds is more expensive than the ends, as the Vale used to be in the 50s. Bycars must have similar sound characteristics to the Hamil, why not make it a couple of £s cheaper to boost the atmosphere with more using the end?

I think the reason why the bycars became less popular was the increase in price (membership?) back in the late 90's early 00's. Most of the atmosphere came from the bycars up until then. As a result fans moved to the paddock and have remained there ever since. Plus I don't think alcohol was sold in the bycars (is that still the case) where as it was in the paddock. The other issue is the facilities, the toilets, concourse, refreshments stands etc are all so much better in the hamil compared to the bycars.

I get the issue about the score board. Rather than moving it, maybe we should look at another somewhere else in the ground. Expensive yes, but double the opportunities for advert sales.

I appreciate that a lot of fans won't go to the paddock / stand for the atmosphere, and go for the view, so it is those people that the move would be most unpopular. All the more reason I suppose to finish the lorne street, give us another 2k seats available from the side?

Again, I know there are some big costs to consider so I would never use this as a stick to beat Smurf with. It's also not a reason why people don't attend. I just think that a better atmosphere leads to a better all round experience for a lot of fans. It's not everyones priority, but I remember loads of games where we've lost (especially away), yet the atmosphere we've generated has made for a really good day.

I was obviously joking with my first post, but instead of smurf slating anyone for their feedback, try to use it to introduce new ideas / opportunities to encourage more fans to attend.

I do agree in some ways with what smurf said the way he said it was a crazy but there are fans that do go away matches more than home games I work with one yes he buys the home/away tops but we need fans attending home matches more regular. we have wanted a owner who would back our manager financially well smurf as done that we need more fans to turn up now and show him that we back port vale fc. I get that its expensive to go games and a pain in the backside having to get a ticket before the match maybe that will change soon but we need more fans at home games im sure we can support our team whatever position is in the league and actually our home form under rob page as been brilliant and we are scoring goals and looking a good team. smurf should have put a totally different way he should have been saying we need you not go and support another club

If the numbers are to be believed I have received around 400 contacts by email letter twitter a few on hear stating for various reasons they would only attend away games because .....

I even had 3 guys approach me outside the ground to tell me they would not enter the stadium just came to make a point just bad timing on my part that the radio interview was 10 mins later

if 10% of or fan base really are doing this that represents over 8k of lost revenue a league game

If the numbers are to be believed I have received around 400 contacts by email letter twitter a few on hear stating for various reasons they would only attend away games because .....

I even had 3 guys approach me outside the ground to tell me they would not enter the stadium just came to make a point just bad timing on my part that the radio interview was 10 mins later

if 10% of or fan base really are doing this that represents over 8k of lost revenue a league game

I'm sure that there are a few who would rather travel away than attend home games for the day out, beer etc but I'm certain that the figures are no where near 400. Can understand why it must annoy you though, however the price increase, 3 hour thing didn't help and scrapping it will hopefully make home games that little bit more attractive. As will winning games and getting up the table.

There's not 400 that only go away matches, I've just got back from Colchester and I wouldn't say there was 400 vale fans there, and I recognised a lot of them as fans who go every match home and away.

If this is true, then it is pathetic in the extreme.

Agree but it wouldn't surprise me, some people are pathetic.

Anyone who supports the Vale and is able to come to home games but chooses not to, in my opinion should go and find another team to offer their armchair support to.

Smurf shouldn't take it personally. These people have always been the same. The excuse in the Rudge era would have been the sale of players. In the V2001 era would have been the largely Crap football on show, now its a choice of price, manager etc.

Fact is some people will always find an excuse not to go & will consequently moan about everything Vale. Christ there's even some on here ...

189 went..so well short of 400

A massive well done to the 189 that went there today, its always the same couple of hundred that go to these sorts of away games and we are lucky to have them.

Hard to believe we were taking nearly 3000 round the country during the promotion season but that's football

If the numbers are to be believed

Why wouldnt they be believable? you are producing the numbers, they are either factual or not depending on your honesty

I have received around 400 contacts by email letter twitter a few on hear stating for various reasons they would only attend away games because .....

what are the reasons?.. is there anything you can reasonably do to change those reasons?... if not dont worry about them

If that really bothers you dont do the PR or off the cuff interviews... some wise ass journalist will use it to shake your tree

If 90% of the fan base do turn up you have a very high average and turnover 72K per game.... but you havent lost 8K, you just havent got it... you have to have the 8K to lose it.

Instead of worrying about the supposed 10% who wont come why not concentrate on expanding the fan base for those who may come because the entertainment is better, the experience is better and those who have not been before... but leave the door open for the 10%?... just in case they change their minds.

football supporters are a strange breed, some wont come because bratt was chairman, some wont come because bratt isnt chairman, some wont come because they dont like the manager or the entrance fee or the colour of the shirt or the badge... but it boils down to a simple thing at the end of the day... providing you/the team/manager do your best the people who dont want to come dont matter because there will be plenty of people who will want to come... the time to worry is when the people who do want to come stop

Why wouldnt they be believable? you are producing the numbers, they are either factual or not depending on your honesty

C

what are the reasons?.. is there anything you can reasonably do to change those reasons?... if not dont worry about them

If that really bothers you dont do the PR or off the cuff interviews... some wise ass journalist will use it to shake your tree

If 90% of the fan base do turn up you have a very high average and turnover 72K per game.... but you havent lost 8K, you just havent got it... you have to have the 8K to lose it.

Instead of worrying about the supposed 10% who wont come why not concentrate on expanding the fan base for those who may come because the entertainment is better, the experience is better and those who have not been before... but leave the door open for the 10%?... just in case they change their minds.

football supporters are a strange breed, some wont come because bratt was chairman, some wont come because bratt isnt chairman, some wont come because they dont like the manager or the entrance fee or the colour of the shirt or the badge... but it boils down to a simple thing at the end of the day... providing you/the team/manager do your best the people who dont want to come dont matter because there will be plenty of people who will want to come... the time to worry is when the people who do want to come stop

Great post - smurf, did you think of asking the 3 WHY .. Maybe start to ask .. And listen ??

Archived