onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Rob Page- yay or nay.

fuzzyvalefan

Rob Page for permanent manager- yay or nay?  

133 members have voted

1. 1. Rob Page for permanent manager- yay or nay?

• Yay
    • Nay

Nay.

Last night was the last straw for me. If we can't defend a lead for 20 minutes against the bottom side reduced to 10 men, then how can we expect to draw clear of the relegation battle we're in? We need a manager who knows how to win and Page is failing that test. I was really hoping he would win last night but he couldn't do it. Time for a battle hardened manager to take the reins.

Advert

I'm still yea for a bit. Let down by Slew at Fleetwood. Not too far off at Preston. Two good home wins before the Scunny game.

It's a pity he's got Adams' aversion to young players. Give Streete a game.

Mind you, I could change my mind on Saturday.

This poll is 4 days too early - it's a kneejerk after a bad match, and if you had done it after the Yeovil game, it would have been 70 per cent for Page. I am not sure, but in fairness the man was told he had until after the Orient game, so this poll and people's judgements shouldn't be made before the end of the period specified. That is just fairness.

It also means the decision will probably depend on one single result - and makes me wonder if we play badly but win with a scabby offside goal, or alternatively play well but suffer another bad ref, bad decision, etc and let in a last minute equaliser or something similar - is it really right to decide on a single moment in one game if it comes to that?

It may well be that another month is needed to see what Page can do with Streete, Campion and Harry P, possible Greenridge as well, I am sure this will not go down well with some people but a hasty wrong decision now and a Gannon-style appointment would be a much bigger disaster.

Jesus.

Although I've just voted "Nay" on here, I had forgotten that Smurf has - quite rightly - given him till the end of October to prove he deserves the job, so we should not be having this poll, now. We have a very winnable fixture left against Orient, and if we get that win, his record is probably good enough to get him the job? But, in any case, as that's the last game in October, that should be when our managerial decision ought to be seriously debated!

Having said all that, though, I would really like to see McDermott down here - I think he's an excellent manager, produced decent teams and was badly treated at Leeds!

In Norman I trust.

He will extend Page's interim until the end of December.

If it doesn't work by then he will name anew Manager on January 1st just in time for doing deals in the transfer window

...presumably those deals will be mostly outgoing ones, at least to begin with - surely we won't be able to just keep bringing more and more players in without offloading a good few of our current staff?

Said it as soon as Micky went...no, no no. Page was coach when we were playing dire and conceding goals like confetti. He's then made manager and nowt has changed. Blatantly obvious that he is the cheap option and Norm was praying and hoping Page would come good. He hasn't and judging by the way we are still one dimensional and so predictable we will struggle and struggle. Love Vale I do, but can't see him being the one to attract crowds back, play attractive football or shore up a poor defence. I will not mind in the slightest if I am proved wrong in the long run but I have been around Vale for far too long to sense when matters are not right!

In Norman I trust.

He will extend Page's interim until the end of December.

If it doesn't work by then he will name anew Manager on January 1st just in time for doing deals in the transfer window

I don't think it's as simple as that personally.

I think the January window is so important, you need someone in quite a bit before January 1st as they'll need to assess the squad (especially our seven loanees) and then find out what's out there to potentially bring in.

I think it you do extend Page's interim deal to allow more time then I personally think it should be a further couple of weeks and then, if he's not right, prepare to get someone else else in - with the intention of them starting (at the latest) in December. That gives them a month (and several games) to assess the squad and to plan for January.

I do think the next couple of games are going to be a massive indication of whether Page is the right man. Will he turn out to be the manager who produced a 4-1 win over Yeovil or the manager who couldn't beat ten-man Scunthorpe?

He has got the team effective going forward and found a midfield that can move the ball well. He has been undone away from home by sending off of two loan players for fighting. He hasn't solved the defensive lapses that are haemorrhaging points. If there is an very good experienced manager available I might be tempted to bring her (or even him) in, but otherwise I feel he deserves his chance.

People are asking why he hasn't solved the defensive problems like its a quick fix. It's hard to solve when individuals are loosing the 1v1 battle and switching off a set pieces. People keep mentioning these loan signings like we have a couple of world class players sat on the bench, not kids with no football league experience.

He done ok. Good home performances against against Barnsley & Yeovil. Decent away performances against Preston & Bradford. Let down by slew away at fleetwood & poor against Scunthorpe. Would any other manager have done a lot better with this group of players?

Defending & away performances have been a problem in the league for 18 months. To expect that to change in 6 games is unrealistic

For me he has to use the axe on staurday and get some of the crap out of the defence because we wont score 3. I dont care which two he replaces because they are all as bad as each other but he must make a significant change just to let them know that he rules not those ankers.

Reme may not be good enough, he may not be the saviour we all would like him to be but if you dont try him you wont find out. The current players are making Page look out of his depth because he doesn't appears to make tough decisions on established players, these players are going to get him passed over just because he cant stand up to them. Maybe he is too close to them and still a mate - but when you make that move into management you have to be the manager and old chumps have to realise that with responsibilty come hard decisions and that the MANAGER is the one to make them, not the captain or the dressing room lawyer but the Manager. If he cant make a telling difference this Saturday then I would expect PAGE to go to Norm and tell him to start looking in ernest for a replacement. If we draw this one it is 2 points again teams who we need to beat to move up the table.

Archived