onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Rob Page- yay or nay.

fuzzyvalefan

Rob Page for permanent manager- yay or nay?  

133 members have voted

1. 1. Rob Page for permanent manager- yay or nay?

• Yay
    • Nay

Advert

Currently doing a great job in Div 1 are Oldham and Notts County, both have new young managers with no experience, both are working on lower budgets than ours, Derry particular has installed a high level of discipline. Why can it not happen with us, experience is not everything.

It's a NO from me, I'd go with clark or McDermott. As much as Aspin was idollised, I don't want him near the club at the moment, not until he gains a bit more experience and that goes for Mr Smurfwaite also.

Hi Bea

Long time, no speak.

I'm guessing that you've not read his comments in the Sentinel? The comment about demotivation (in case you're struggling to understand) was on the basis of his comments about funds for this season and next.

I don't get the Sentinel, but I also don't accept that those comments are 'doing his best to demotivate'. The man tries to manage unrealistic expectations that some of our fans seem to have, and I admit sometimes engages his mouth before his brain. However, he is a damn good chairman so far, and when it comes down to it has dug deep to provide funds for both Micky in the summer and now Rob Page. If the players take time to fully realise their potential, it is not his fault, nor is it his fault if one or two of them perform less well than expected.

He is also prepared to listen to fans, as shown in the example I gave and has made several special offers.

No owner will be perfect, but considering what you and most of the rest of us criticised the last lot for, and you and your other half were exceptionally vocal I seem to remember (often with good reason) I would have thought you would appreciate the improved running of the club and not be railroaded into supporting knee-jerk decisions which could have a devastating impact on the future of Port Vale.

I also wish we could have had Smurf as chairman in the Rudge era, we would have been in the Prem now.

In all fairness, being 2-1 up against 10 men and only end up drawing the game very much felt like a loss. It seems that they could have easily won the game too.

The players attitudes has definitely improved under Page, as has the work rate, but it's a honeymoon period and that was always going to happen. He's almost a like for like for Micky Adams in his team selections and substitutions, only without the bags of experience and promotions on his CV that Micky has. Page might well make a decent manager one day but he's not what Vale need right now.

However much it felt like a loss, the capture of one point means we are 18th and not 23rd, which is where we would have been had we actually lost that game. Have you noticed Orient away record - unbeaten, including a win at Villa in the LC, and a single away defeat in 9 months. A bit frightening.

No owner will be perfect, but considering what you and most of the rest of us criticised the last lot for, and you and your other half were exceptionally vocal I seem to remember (often with good reason) I would have thought you would appreciate the improved running of the club and not be railroaded into supporting knee-jerk decisions which could have a devastating impact on the future of Port Vale.

Smurf has seemingly invested/spent/loaned a lot of money to the Club and for that should be applauded.

However if you think that the Club is being better run in every regard, you are, IMO, very mistaken.

Which "knee-jerk" reactions are you talking about?

Smurf has seemingly invested/spent/loaned a lot of money to the Club and for that should be applauded.

However if you think that the Club is being better run in every regard, you are, IMO, very mistaken.

Which "knee-jerk" reactions are you talking about?

A shame you had to qualify it with 'seemingly' - it isn't Deakin and Miller, and nil-paid shares.

Yes, there are always things that could improve, but sometimes it takes time, and although I don't have access to intimate secrets of the workings at Vale, I am led to believe by people whose judgement I trust that things are certainly better than they used to be, and where problems remain they are being addressed.

The knee-jerk reaction was not really only yourself, but everyone seems to be setting up Rob Page to be judged on this next game (or they have already decided it is a no) when he has not had time to work with the new players or even see them play yet. Yes, he could have played one or maybe even two against Scunthorpe, but perhaps we would have lost and been 23rd - even a draw was better than nothing.

Page was told he had until the end of October, so the whole idea of this poll is stupid and premature. Even if we fail to beat Orient, he should be given another month - Orient have not lost away all season, even beating Villa away in the Carling Cup, indeed have only lost 1 away game in 9 months. If we were to play well but only draw then I would not want Page to be binned because of it.

We have several possibly exciting new players to be seen and appreciated yet, let's give them and Rob Page a decent chance to show what they can do.

Yes, there are always things that could improve, but sometimes it takes time, and although I don't have access to intimate secrets of the workings at Vale, I am led to believe by people whose judgement I trust that things are certainly better than they used to be, and where problems remain they are being addressed.

Commercially? Marketing? Refreshments?

Agreed definate no but none of the regular moron posters on ere cum up with alternatives just sit there slagging off those that do but offer nothing

I think - when you to learn to read - that you will see there have been plenty of alternatives suggested; but when you come on here, just to slag off the "regular moron posters" - of which you are clearly one - then you probably don't actually read other posts? I know how you feel - I see your name against a post and automatically give you -1...then I read your drivel, and I'm always right!...and it's defin I te, ***!!

Commercially? Marketing? Refreshments?

Vale can certainly improve in some of those areas, but are also far better than some other league clubs and improved on the way things were 5 or 10 years ago.

We are digressing a bit to go off to the land of refreshments. Personally, I find refreshment facilities at most football grounds are pretty disgusting, overpriced, unhealthy and vile - and that's the better ones. Only Forest Green deserve a good marking. This also applies to things like mototway services though, and is a general complaint about the way service providers treat the great British public.

Any football club should be able to provide a few hot snacks with a choice of healthy and more traditional fayre, and a plastic cup with a tea bag and some fresh milk for £1 a cup - Waitrose do it for free.

I won't buy hot drinks or snacks at football grounds until they are improved in both value and quality and suggest others do the same, that goes for all grounds not just Vale. Anyone can last 2 hrs or so without a drink, take a bit of fruit or a choccy bar.

I'm genuinely not being sarcastic or provocative here, but on the more important subject of Marketing, what would you like to see ? Smurf seems to listen and has made several special match offers and other promotions on ST's etc but needs input from us as fans. It's easy to say we need Marketing to be better, but as one of my old bosses used to say : 'Bring me solutions, not problems'.

Vale can certainly improve in some of those areas, but are also far better than some other league clubs and improved on the way things were 5 or 10 years ago.

We are digressing a bit to go off to the land of refreshments. Personally, I find refreshment facilities at most football grounds are pretty disgusting, overpriced, unhealthy and vile - and that's the better ones. Only Forest Green deserve a good marking. This also applies to things like mototway services though, and is a general complaint about the way service providers treat the great British public.

Any football club should be able to provide a few hot snacks with a choice of healthy and more traditional fayre, and a plastic cup with a tea bag and some fresh milk for £1 a cup - Waitrose do it for free.

I won't buy hot drinks or snacks at football grounds until they are improved in both value and quality and suggest others do the same, that goes for all grounds not just Vale. Anyone can last 2 hrs or so without a drink, take a bit of fruit or a choccy bar.

I'm genuinely not being sarcastic or provocative here, but on the more important subject of Marketing, what would you like to see ? Smurf seems to listen and has made several special match offers and other promotions on ST's etc but needs input from us as fans. It's easy to say we need Marketing to be better, but as one of my old bosses used to say : 'Bring me solutions, not problems'.

Nice to see some intelligent posts on here, Bea! The trouble with a lot of our "fans" seems to be they want the solution - yesterday - it doesn't matter that the Vale has been badly run for a good few years...oh, no...Smurf has to sort it out last week; and Heaven help the guy if he does/says something wrong! Some of the loons on here come out with the most outrageous posts, based on their own suppositions or misinterpretations that their tiny minds have concocted! So - give the guy a chance - he IS doing a good job, all round! And, if Page has to be the manager because of financial constraints, let's remember we have already done much better with him, than with MA's last few games

Massive game today.

We are playing a side unbeaten away from home.

If we fail to win it will be 2 wins from 8 for Page which, quite frankly, is not good enough.

Add that to all these loan signings he doesnt play and i will be pretty miffed at 5 o clock if we havent picked up 3 points.

A win later may kickstart our season, however im confused by everything thats happened in the last month, none moreso than Norman getting all these players in and Page not playing them.

Things do not seem right. Lets hope they start putting things right asap.

Archived