onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Yesterdays attendance.

Spunk Trumpet

The only prob with that though Ben. Is that 6.5k average is what Smurf set as a basic and failed to get us the extra Defender we were after. I don't want to be happy to just plod along, I want real progress.

The club is now probably in the best financial posistion we've ever been in, with no debts. Years ago I can understand fans being reluctant to go, however surely the incentive of "the more money in, the better the quality of player", should get fans of their backsides. Imagine the quality of player if we could ever get a 10k fan base. Why are we happy, with just 6.5k. Having said that the club needs to do more as regards marketing, a point raised in reply to Smurfs tweet. But I don't buy this "Oh it was V-festival, sod the ****** V-festival. Smurf is doing his bit, surely now is time to get behind the Club.

Why has it been a lot easier for me to get to work these past couple of weeks? Because a lot of people are on holiday that's why. Wind your neck in.

Advert

My opinion..... Well done to those who attended..as for those who didn't ... See you against Wolves,no doubt these folk will be moaning their bags of that queues at the bogs were to big or some one sat in my seat or there wasn't enough pies or the tea was cold or couldn't get in TC as it was packed or couldn't find any were to park me car or queued up to pay at turnstiles not realising no pay on gate and get turned away then say:never going again: or saying game was crap as we only won 1-0 ... Ring any bells anyone

The only prob with that though Ben. Is that 6.5k average is what Smurf set as a basic and failed to get us the extra Defender we were after. I don't want to be happy to just plod along, I want real progress.

The club is now probably in the best financial posistion we've ever been in, with no debts. Years ago I can understand fans being reluctant to go, however surely the incentive of "the more money in, the better the quality of player", should get fans of their backsides. Imagine the quality of player if we could ever get a 10k fan base. Why are we happy, with just 6.5k. Having said that the club needs to do more as regards marketing, a point raised in reply to Smurfs tweet. But I don't buy this "Oh it was V-festival, sod the ****** V-festival. Smurf is doing his bit, surely now is time to get behind the Club.

So you will be attending every single home match and not make excuses like " i am working" then because the club needs you every game,

I got behind the lads for the Brentford home game and will do so for Wolves at home in 2 weeks time.:yes:

It's not quite as 'easy' to get to Vale homes as you; living and working 180+ miles out of the area.

Nothing wrong at all with aiming for more fans through the gates; however you need to be realistic with such hopes and targets at the same time. But it's pointless saying we should be aiming for '10,000 average attendances' because it is way too unrealistic at this moment in time. You will only end up disappointed making such predictions. That's not me being negative or not wanting more, it's simply reality.

To put things in perspective; we were averaging little over 5,000 for a few seasons during our time in League 2, before our promotion season. That figure should hopefully be up by around 1,500 this season, to around 6,500; which is around a 23% increase. Reasons to be positive for sure, and hopefully push on gradually.

The club only has so many hardcore supporters.

With respect Andy, isnt this the first season you have had a ST in years?

I dare say i went more games 2 or 3 seasons ago than yourself.

You chose to taxi drive on a Saturday afternoon.

If im wrong mate then fair enough but i dont think youre in such a position to go knocking the support when infact during our 5 yrs in League 2 you were by far from a regular.

Again, if im wrong, i apologise.

Spunk trumpet, post 24 is spot on.

There is a small minority of people who will make any excuse not to go to the match.

All this about Vale not making it "easy" to get tickets is absolute rubbish, imo. I will wait for all you armchair critics to now have a go at me but it's about time somebody stood up for the Vale and what they are trying to do, to rectify an antiquated system. Vale are no different than the vast majority of League Clubs and actually do more than most to attract fans, (junior club, discount tickets etc).

Some will find every excuse in the book to suggest they cannot attend. I do realise we need all that we can get other than season ticket holders but come on, if you were really interested in the Vale you would do as many others do and ring/pay over the phone/order a ticket/turn up a little earlier etc,etc,etc. It's not rocket science in trying to get a seat at Vale for any match, anytime of the season.

Smurf deserves a medal for what he's done so far and he most certainly does not want repeated criticisms of how to get in the Vale!

Tin helmet on, BUT I stand by what I say and I believe that if you want to follow our great club you would do all you can to ensure you get into the ground. Stop moaning and support the Vale.:laugh::razz::upthevale:

The point is that some of the walk up customers, the last minute deciders arent interested in Vale, not like the ST holders and hard core supporters are, they just fancy watching a game.

You only have to read this thread to see what vale supporters do to get to matches, some arent that committed for one reason or another.

Its been suggested that some went to a festival at the weekend or were on holiday, is that a good excuse? People dont need excuses not to go, its their decision to go or not to for whatever reason.

The print your own tickets [when its working] should relieve some of the problems, smart cards would also help. Charging for using a debit card wont and queues caused by malfunctions or changing print stock wont... but each to his/her own.

The other perspective is that every Vale fan "walked up" at one time in their life. You don't become a hard core fan easily, as an adult at least. So each one of those casual fans who made up the gates against Brentford, Northampton and Burton are potentially folks who can become addicted.

With an electronic ticketing system, it ought to be possible for the club to actively encourage people to come back. That would be a novel idea.

The first time I went to watch an FC Dallas game here, several years back, I got into their system and a guy was calling me up on the phone on a regular basis offering me deals and packages. With all the tools available today, it isn't expensive or complicated to operate a good CRM programme.

I think some may be missing the point.

Some people's expectations, possibly Smurf included, are far too high.

I made a point that we should not molly-coddle and spend so much time on the casual spectator as they will, in reality only attend very, very infrequently in any case, no matter what the Vale(or any other Club) may do to try and attract them.

There are many people who will just come only when it's very cheap to do so or when a "so called big Club" provide the opposition to Vale. That's fact. Yes we do need each and every person , each match other than the hard core and season ticket holders, but why do we waste so much time and forum/talking space on arguing about those that moan about how difficult it is for them to get a ticket or have to turn up early? It does seem we are fixated in pampering to moaners gripes, rather than coming up with a fair system to all to attract new and armchair people so that they may become regulars.

Don't forget that each and every one of them will NOT become a regular, even if we gave them entrance now and then at very cheap prices. The VAST majority of attendees who are 1 or 2 or very few match people will stay that way and not wish to commit to being a regular or season ticket holder.

It takes ages for any Football club to nurture and grow an increasing fan base. Vale are no different and have started to increase the average attendance. Smurf and Co are doing all they can to see that improves, gradually and that is all we can hope for, unfortunately. We will not see 10,000 average gates for quite some time, you have to build up to that but at least we have made a start.

My opinion is easy to understand- Vale will not get 10,000 crowds this season on a regular basis, no matter what they do on or off the pitch. Some should bite the bullet and realise this fact. Maybe we have got carried away with recent events? We should by all means try everything possible to attract new fans but please everyone try and see that the arguments currently about the alleged inability to purchase tickets are feeble and in fact damaging to the Vale.

The negative publicity given to these moaners is unwarranted and they are indeed in a very large minority. Even if we did hand tickets to them on a simple and cheap basis they would only attend a very occasional match, so is it worth all the fuss? (again my hard hat is on but I did receive quite a few thumbs up for my post previously on this subject).

I think some may be missing the point.

Some people's expectations, possibly Smurf included, are far too high.

I made a point that we should not molly-coddle and spend so much time on the casual spectator as they will, in reality only attend very, very infrequently in any case, no matter what the Vale(or any other Club) may do to try and attract them.

There are many people who will just come only when it's very cheap to do so or when a "so called big Club" provide the opposition to Vale. That's fact. Yes we do need each and every person , each match other than the hard core and season ticket holders, but why do we waste so much time and forum/talking space on arguing about those that moan about how difficult it is for them to get a ticket or have to turn up early? It does seem we are fixated in pampering to moaners gripes, rather than coming up with a fair system to all to attract new and armchair people so that they may become regulars.

Don't forget that each and every one of them will NOT become a regular, even if we gave them entrance now and then at very cheap prices. The VAST majority of attendees who are 1 or 2 or very few match people will stay that way and not wish to commit to being a regular or season ticket holder.

It takes ages for any Football club to nurture and grow an increasing fan base. Vale are no different and have started to increase the average attendance. Smurf and Co are doing all they can to see that improves, gradually and that is all we can hope for, unfortunately. We will not see 10,000 average gates for quite some time, you have to build up to that but at least we have made a start.

My opinion is easy to understand- Vale will not get 10,000 crowds this season on a regular basis, no matter what they do on or off the pitch. Some should bite the bullet and realise this fact. Maybe we have got carried away with recent events? We should by all means try everything possible to attract new fans but please everyone try and see that the arguments currently about the alleged inability to purchase tickets are feeble and in fact damaging to the Vale.

The negative publicity given to these moaners is unwarranted and they are indeed in a very large minority. Even if we did hand tickets to them on a simple and cheap basis they would only attend a very occasional match, so is it worth all the fuss? (again my hard hat is on but I did receive quite a few thumbs up for my post previously on this subject).

I agree with everything you have said [except one thing]... I doubt we will see a regular 10,000 vale supporters... but lets also stop castigating people for their reasons they dont attend... people who really want to come will find a way... some wont queue.... some cant or wont buy online... some wont pay the extra £1 for using their debit cards... whatever their reasons its their choice... but we wont encourage the possibles by telling them they are making excuses or telling them they arent real fans... just make it as easy as possible for everyone, within limits, and let them do what they want to do.

The negative publicity is none existent... its a forum where people get to gripe if the wish [within the rules]... others analyze the possibilities and offer alternatives that may or may not be viable.

Archived